Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Do you think low-poly game models will ever make a comeback?
(11-25-2013, 08:02 AM)Gors Wrote: I am willing to learn 3D modelling to make that kind of low-poly models. That is the only 3D model style I like, others being ugly and/or uninteresting. I really like the pixelart flavor of those.

That was my thought exactly upon first seeing them.

Something I like to look at from time to time is the Lowpoly thread over on the Polycount forums where people make lowpoly stuff regularly and offer C+C.
(seriously, click that link, there's a whole lot to look at)
(they're basically the tsr or pixelation of 3d models)

It's a long thread so I doubt you guys'll read all of it, but I love going through it and looking at all of the images in there.

Another one I like is a game called Turbo Run, which also uses Lowpoly with pixelart textures.
[Image: IuTET5X.png]
[Image: ieA3R4C.png]

I'm pretty shitty at 3D modeling but I'd love to be able to do this sort of thing one day.

edit- another good thing about using the lowpoly textures is that it's possible to run your game without any real sort of a lighting engine or having to use shaders or anything since you just make all the highlights and shadows using your textures. your pixelart is what makes everything pop, so you don't need all the stuff you'd normally need to make a """""real"""" 3D game look good unless you really just want the extra eye candy.

another edit- regarding the HD oot textures, this is another pack that I like the look of:
[Image: jybrz27.png]
The cel shading texture pack.
Gives the game a bit flatter/cartoony look, but still looks good.
I don't like how Wind Waker it gets at times, but in certain situations it looks really great.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you think low-poly game models will ever make a comeback? - by Vipershark - 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM