The VG Resource

Full Version: Do you think low-poly game models will ever make a comeback?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I don't have to mention that sprites from the 8-Bit and 16-Bit era are still popular to use in many video games (mostly indy titles), but what about the low-poly models that are seen in video games from the 90's (i.e. the Nintendo 64)? You think they will use a similar style for games produced in this day and age? I think it would be most interesting.
8-bit and 16-bit sprites can still hold up to this day depending on the game, low-poly models not so much
I could see some low poly models for nostalgia purposes. But unless the game's gimmick is to emulate the N64 or something, I don't think it will.
They were ugly then, and they're still ugly now. So no, hopefully.
I hope to one day make a game in the style of Kenneth Fejer.
That is, low-poly models with pixelart textures.

[Image: EpKqsR1.png]
[Image: dZeJHGT.gif]

[Image: noNscbp.png]

[Image: RsHgsZ6.gif]
[Image: YtmnFlW.gif]

More here: http://www.kennethfejer.com/lowpoly.html

Not only do they look cool, but because of their hilariously small hardware requirements (by today's standards, at least), you could make an entire game with these and play it on a toaster and still get a smooth 60 fps.
They also remind me a lot of Megaman Legends so that's a plus.
Like Vipershark just pointed out, low-poly can look really slick, and actually isn't actually due for a comeback.

Low-poly has been (and still is being) used all the way up to the DS era, the final fantasy and dragon quest games are good examples of that.

Personally, I love low-poly with crisp pixel-perfect textures, but very few of the old Low-poly tech based games looked very good.

Taking advantage of modern tech and restrictions of the past being lifted could bring some very nice Low-poly games our way some day.

On a different note, I love love love Fejer's work and love his obvious MegaManLegends influences. The MML series has some of the best
examples of Low-poly done right.
Each of you has a point there. Despite the nostalgia factor, I think it would be unwise to use such models in this day and age.

From what I've seen Vipershark pointed out, it looks like the real deciding factor in models is the textures used. Even if a model looks horrendously blocky, it's the textures that either make or break it. In fact, I didn't like the CGI models used on the DS because most of them (such as Diddy Kong Racing DS, Super Mario 64 DS, and both Zelda games) had some pretty textures (I know it's the hardware, but I don't like how even some of the newer DS games had bad pixilation in the textures).

Call me a fanboy for mentioning this, but I have to say that the new HD textures used in the Xbox 360 ports of the first two Banjo-Kazooie games suited the games very well. Even though they could have went the extra mile to create new models from scratch, sometimes seeing models as they were (even if textures are altered for the better) just adds to the nostalgia factor when done correctly.
personally, I like the look of OOT3D /less/ than the original OoT.
Links updated running animations are wonky and I think the entire thing would have looked a lot better with the old models using HD textures.
But that's just me.

[Image: Project642010-04-2120-26-54-40.jpg]

Something like this, but maybe with minimal changes to the actual 3D models to remove some of the original blockiness.
(11-21-2013, 05:11 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]Something like this [bigass pic], but maybe with minimal changes to the actual 3D models to remove some of the original blockiness.
Well, a hacker by the name of "Flotonic" imported Wind Waker Link's model over the original Link model in OoT*, so hacking-wise, I don't think it'd be too out of the question to see something like Link's Melee model hacked into the game. (Melee would be a perfect source IMO, since Young Link and Adult Link both have models from that game.) Granted, pretty much everyone aside from Link/Y.Link/Adult Zelda/Shiek/Ganondorf would require edited/custom models, but at least it'd be a start.

*I'm at work and YT is blocked here, so I can't get a hold of the URL for the video at the moment.
I thought OOT3D used his Melee model.

Also those pixel texture low poly models look great.
Honestly the only way I can see low poly models making a comeback is through a ton of indie games other than that I don't see much of a purpose for them at this point in the mainstream.
Unless they do what Kenneth Fejer did up there! I don't think I've ever seen models look any better than that~ Forget HD, that's like, the perfect compromise between 3D and pixel art.
I am willing to learn 3D modelling to make that kind of low-poly models. That is the only 3D model style I like, others being ugly and/or uninteresting. I really like the pixelart flavor of those.
For me it was never about how many polygons there was, it all about the vision and design.

Like to this day I think Rayman 2 for the N64 is one of the most beautiful games I played. The atmosphere was so mysterious and clever. That can be accomplished even with low polys.
What about the games by Rare, Koopaul? Even if Rare created several of their best games on the blocky Nintendo 64, practically all of those titles had some decent model work and astounding textures. Considering your avatar and how you once created a Banjo-Kazooie sprite project, I was wondering why you didn't bring those games up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4