Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A Mario fangame! It's a fangame! With Mario!
(09-08-2012, 08:38 PM)TheShyGuy Wrote: How bout keeping the actual parallax value and when drawn, just round the value(not the actual value). Ignore if you did this. I thought you were rounding the actual value when its set which would probably break it.

Unfortunately, the way Game Maker handles tiles, that doesn't really work. Tiles, the way Game Maker sees them, are just empty objects. There's no drawing function for them, they're just there. They have an x and y value, and that's where they're going to be drawn, there's no way to change that drawing value without moving the tile itself. Layers are even more stubborn to control, there's only a handful of layer functions in GML.

Were there a relative drawing function for tile layers, I wouldn't be jumping through hoops as it is.

EDIT: Mmmmmyeah it's become apparent now that parallaxing with tiles is not going to work with this game. I get pixel-stretching every time there's a not whole-number-value, and whenever I force them to be whole numbers, the parallax effect breaks, either scrolling everything at the same rate regardless, or not scrolling at all, or scrolling more in one direction than the other meaning you can run back and forth in one place to scroll the background off the screen, great.

Which is a shame because it's almost effortless to add a parallax with backgrounds:

The only problem is looping backgrounds are hard to find - they either feature the castle which means you're passing a bajillion castles throughout the course of the game, or they're just a sky. Which I already have. Neato.

The backgrounds I used in that video were made by a cool dude named Copper Mario for something completely different and it shows in the video which is really just a demonstration of the parallax effect anyway. I might just edit backgrounds from other Mario games to fit the style I'm aiming for. But for right now I'm going to focus on the Options Menu and finishing Mario's behaviors - the backgrounds can wait, as far as I'm concerned.
[Image: StickerStageItems.png]
Check out this review blog thing I do! Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch was the latest review!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Mario fangame! It's a fangame! With Mario! - by Zero Kirby - 09-08-2012, 09:19 PM