The VG Resource

Full Version: A Mario fangame! It's a fangame! With Mario!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[Image: Mario-Title-Vector-True.png]

DAYYYYYUM, HOMIE, THAT'S SO ORIGINAL.

So I know what you're thinking. "So what's this about a Mario fangame I'm reading with my eyes?!" Well dear reader this is a topic about a fangame I'm making that features Mario called...

Super Mario Classic: Returns: Return 2: The Revenge of the Return: Reloaded

Basically I was playing through an old fangame of mine and hated it a whole bunch so I'm making it not the dumb anymore! Hooray!

[Image: TitleScreen.png]
Mmm! Extremely long title!

If it gets too exhausting to say you can just put Super Mario Classic Subsandwich because I love stealing jokes from funnier people than I!

So what can you expect in this Mario game with Mario in it and likely will contain some Mario-like gameplay? How does MARIO sound?

[Image: BackgroundsLeGasp.png]
Oh my God oh my God it's that guy that plumber guy called MARIO

YEEEEAAAH. He can do all sorts of things! Like walk! Run! And Jump! Whoa! You can even do multiple things at a time to access other patches of ground called platforms! Oh man!

But surely he can do more?

[Image: BarrelCannons.png]
OF COURSE HE CAN DON'T BE RIDICULOUS

When the situation calls for it he can totally rip off Donkey Kong Country for a good time! Yes!

Guess what else?

[Image: HelpScreenshot.png]
MENU SCREENS OH MY GOD

Oh man oh man oh MAN Menu Screens. That you can interact with. That's just amazing. MINDBLOWN. Heck they're even ANIMATED. What the heck man!? Look at this with your eyes!

Look at that sexy Menu Screen! MMMMMMYEAH

But oh! How to select levels?! Well don't you worry about that! There's a MAP SCREEN AS WELL!! WHOA!!!

Man this is almost too much. What else can you expect from a game like this?! How about the most essential move Mario has in his arsenal?

The almighty.

The all-powerful.

The manly.

[Image: BELLYFLAWP.png]
DUCK-JUMPING. THIS IS HOW A MAN PLAYS SUPER MARIO BROTHERS.

Along with this are beautiful locales!

[Image: DarkerSunset-1.png]
Like pretty sunsets!

Flagpoles!

[Image: SunsetFlagpoling.png]
There's at least one in every level!

And a system that will make sure you either feel good about yourself or make sure you know just how badly you suck at video games!

[Image: RankingScreenTime.png]
ISN'T THAT SOMETHIN'?!

All for the low low price of FREE!!!! When is it coming out? I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!

"But wait!" I hear you say. "What if I want to try this out a little bit mister man who overuses his Shift key and exclamation points?!" Well, unfortunately, the only engine test I have is really old and from before a lot of the recent enhancements like joystick support and better controls. BUT IF YOU WANT IT HERE IT IS

>>> Download Link!!!!! <<<

Controls?!
Shift jumps! CTRL runs! R resets! Arrows move! Yes! At least I think so anyway! If not, A jumps and S runs! Yeah!

YEAH!

YE-*thud*
The a pretty good system you have there for everything. It plays so smooth Genki ^_^

Do you mind if I ask how you were able to load .ogg files because I thought game maker didn't support them. I was wanting to use external file loading for Super Arisa World's music and ogg would really reduce filesize and loading speeds.
(05-12-2012, 09:06 AM)Ploaj Wrote: [ -> ]The a pretty good system you have there for everything. It plays so smooth Genki ^_^

Do you mind if I ask how you were able to load .ogg files because I thought game maker didn't support them. I was wanting to use external file loading for Super Arisa World's music and ogg would really reduce filesize and loading speeds.

I used the SuperSound extension package which doesn't require a .dll. If you go that route you'll need to make sure your song loops as a whole and not with a loop-point partway through.

Technically FMOD is better because it's a lot more powerful and does mid-song loops and whatnot though it does need the appropriate .dll in the folder.
Wup-woh, stuff time is now

[Image: BetterCastleScreenshot.png]
My castle tiles, they are coming along quite nicely now

Ugh, making these castle tiles has been such a pain AND IT'S NOT OVER YET but what I have right now looks pretty great as it is

Also a new custom animation

[Image: Block-Hit-Animation.gif]
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HIT A PRIZE BLOCK!?

I dunno, just figured it'd be more interesting than "DOOP COIN DUD BLOCK NOW"

Also noticed I forgot to post stuff like... THIS

[Image: Spinning-Medal.gif]
Oh man it's one-a dem Star Coins from Super Mario 3D Land but it looks funny

[Image: fixedMedals.png]
Oh that's why

An idea I had was using these coins to initiate special challenges like the Prankster Comets in Galaxy. I'm not entirely sure I can pull something like that off but I like how these coins turned out so I'm gonna find a use for them SOMEWHERES

And I know it's missing frames but I'm not that great at spriting yet heck that Star from the coin was taken from another sprite sheet WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME AAAAAAAGH

[Image: MarioPowerups.png]
IT'S MORPHIN' TIME

Normal, Fire, Ice, Speed (OOOOOOOOOOH HOW ORIGINAL) and Metal (not pictured). All of these were originally going to be in Super Mario Zero (and this project is pretty much self-indulgent nostalgia for every idea I couldn't pull off before) and except for Ice, based off a power from the original Return. Except they'll be better balanced and I want to make them fun to use this time around.

I also just want distinction between Fire and Ice besides "welp iceballs" so I not only made Ice Mario's overalls a lighter shade of blue...

[Image: icemariothrowBIS.png]
He also gets a different throwing animation!

Also here's another thing

[Image: MoreHelp.png]
Read that description folks

Extra Lives are kind of dumb and pointless and not really a punishment anymore so I decided that if you choose to start over from a checkpoint after dying, you lose 5000 points at the end of the level. I plan on making end-of-level ranks kind of important so this is a punishment as you won't get to see EVERYTHING unless you're good at the game.

And here's a thing that's not in the game

[Image: scrappedsuit.png]
I'm Jetpack Mario!

As you can tell, Jetpack Mario wears a Jetpack. He jetpacks places with his jetpack. Because he's Jetpack Mario and has a jetpack to jetpack to places with.

Unfortunately I couldn't make a good looking jetpack for Jetpack Mario which is a problem because Jetpack Mario needs a jetpack hence the name Jetpack Mario.

So you won't be able to jetpack to places with a jetpack as Jetpack Mario who wears a jetpack because I couldn't make a good jetpack for Jetpack Mario to jetpack with.

Jetpack.

EDIT: One more thing

[Image: BossMeter.png]

Edited from a SPP Bowser head. I think it turned out pretty good considering my spriting abilities. Could probably be better though.
When I read your posts in here I keep thinking of Fawful...
i really like your sense of humor.

as for the actual game, i will say that the animation on that star coin could stand to be smoother. give it some in-between frames.
Honestly thought this was gonna be another noob type game thing that would never get done but it looks promising. Still though; why did you use M&L style sprites? For the fake 3Dish effect?(name) What are you making this with? Game Maker, I presume?
@ Crappy Blue Luigi: Like I said, it's missing frames and I'm not too good at spriting to make the in-between frames. I know rotating things should have eight frames and that has four - I just don't think I have the skill to pull it off very well.

@ Kakashifan: I use Mario and Luigi sprites for three reasons:

1. It's not Super Mario Bros. 3 of which there are approximately 27364869434164367144 fangames which use SMB3 graphics on MFGG and I want something original.
2. My original Super Mario Classic games used the M&L style so I'm trying to be faithful as this is primarily a self-indulgent nostalgia project.
3. They look really nice.

Also yes, I'm making this with Game Maker 8.
It's funny how I recognize most of these sprites, yet I haven't played as many Mario games as most people here. Are those menu options and fonts from MKDS?

Anyway, good luck with the game. It looks unique, using RPG graphics for a side-scroller.
(05-17-2012, 09:45 AM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]It's funny how I recognize most of these sprites, yet I haven't played as many Mario games as most people here. Are those menu options and fonts from MKDS?

Yep, they are. They looked nice so I used them.
Updort time:

[Image: BrickBreakinforJustice.png]
KAPLOWZAMMO

Yep, got Brick Blocks and Prize Blocks working - and a basic "what's inside them" system up and running as well! If Brick Blocks contain items they'll either turn into a Prize Block or a Dud Block depending on how many. If they don't they just explode into lots of brickly bits as evidenced above. THE MIGHTY FIST OF MARIO DOES NOT SIMPLY YIELD TO BRICKS.

Also greatly improved collision. Like, you have no idea how much better the collision in this game is now for real. For example, you can hit two blocks at the SAME TIME! WHOA! REVOLUTIONARY! To be honest that does require a bit of code-fiddlin' in Game Maker and one of the biggest complaints about Super Mario Classic Original was not being able to hit blocks between two other blocks so I feel proud for fixing that! Go me!

[Image: ITRETURNS.png]
Taking a leaf out of Donkey Kong's book because Nintendo sure won't!

I know I posted a picture of this before but this one's different because now they work and they work much better than they did before! So that's pretty swell!

[Image: SwimmanandShadows.png]
Ooooh, a number of nice things!

I didn't program those shadows, a friendly fellow by the name of Miles did that, so kudos to him because seriously this game looks quite a bit nicer with 'em.

I did program dat swimman' Mario though. Swimming works like Donkey Kong Country - you can move freely and there's no gravity, get a burst of speed in any direction by hitting Jump while moving, and to jump out you just get near the surface and... jump out. You can also just tread the water if you so desire which will probably come in handy since I'll probably add an Air Meter!

It's also the first time I programmed a swimming Mario in this manner - and by that I mean he doesn't always need to be in contact with a water object. That row of nicely translucent blue blocks handles everything. So it's ten-kabillion times more efficient than the original Return. Now I just need some water tiles! Oh boy.

There's also a rudimentary score system in place as evidenced by the fact that the score isn't 14900 anymore. A simple health system is also in place complete with a Mushroom pickup restoring half of your health! The results screen has also been programmed to reflect the proper numbers - the only thing remaining now for scoring and results are the timer and ranks!
where is your download link???
(05-17-2012, 10:57 PM)Sengi~ Wrote: [ -> ]where is your download link???

Once I get a water tileset in so it doesn't look quite so the ugly then I'LL THINK 'BOUT IT

Okay I thought about it and while it still doesn't look best here's somethin' for ya

http://www.mediafire.com/?0jtri4dcc6gjdl7

WELP
Whoa dude

Kudos, my friend.

Only thing really bothering me is M&L-Style antialiasing pixels stickung out everywhere Tongue
Thanks! And I can see what you mean about the pixels sticking out - it seems most prominent in dark areas which... well, don't happen often in the M&L games, I suppose. Maybe I could try making them slightly transparent or something and see how that looks?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7