Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Kaos Kore map rip (Donkey Kong Country 3)
The world map will take some time of course. vSNES has been an invaluable tool in ripping the graphics and I'm using it to rip the world map. I'll probably have to do some edits though as it garbles the top half slightly, but I doubt it will be TOO hard. Here's what I've managed to rip so far:

I'm pleased with the results so far. This is a very early WIP, so don't bother telling me it's bad because it's not done! Wink The top half of the map may be trouble as vSNES garbles some of the parts with clouds. May take longer to fix it.

I'm probably going to handle the water the same way as the K3 and Kremwood Forest maps. I'll provide the basic water layer (sans animation) and the water shadow and you can assemble them yourself. you can loop the water layer horizontally and vertically until it fills the entire map and then program in a waving effect for the entire thing. Then just overlay the shadows and add alpha transparency for the shadow effect. I did this in gamemaker and it works great!

That may sound lazy, but it's just impossible to rip the entire water layer on the whole map WITH the shadows and animation. I think the method I suggested is sufficient and will work well.

When I finish the top half, I'm going to try to combine it with the bottom half to create the whole map. Should look quite decent when I'm done. Just be patient as I don't always have access to my computer at the moment. I have to share my PC with my mother until I get my other one fixed.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kaos Kore map rip (Donkey Kong Country 3) - by granville - 11-15-2008, 10:35 PM