The VG Resource

Full Version: Kaos Kore map rip (Donkey Kong Country 3)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've ripped the overworld map of Kaos Kore from Donkey Kong Country. I'll grant you that it's been ripped already and put on Background HQ, but it looks like this:

http://www.bghq.com/bgs/snes/d/dkc3/a814.png

The one in the game has animated layers. So I ripped all the animated background layers and assembled them into a sprite sheet. So I present my submission of the Kaos Kore map screen with all frames of animation (sprite objects such as flags excluded. I'll rip the map objects later):

[attachment=1107]

EDIT- I just updated this rip to include an extra layer at the bottom left.

Unfortunately, I still consent that it would be difficult to deal with. The ground and water background have some special priority arrangements that allow them to overlap each other in certain places. I'll see about working on that at a later date. I hope to rip as many map screens as possible, but here's the lowdown:

Lake Orangatanga- easy
Kremwood Forest- HARD HARD HARD (the river has a special scrolling code in the game).
Mekanos- easy
Cottontop Cove- easy
K3- HARD (again with the water scrolling)
Razor Ridge- easy
Kaos Kore- already done
Lost World- should be pretty easy.
World Map- challenging to say the least. I plan on doing some splicing and editing.

And I think I'll keep all these rips in one topic this time. I'm pretty sure the moderators don't appreciate my spam. Will update with the others at a later date.
Great job! Big Grin
(09-19-2008, 01:31 PM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Great job! Big Grin

Thanks for the praise! I'll keep these map rips in this topic so I won't spam your forum too much. Some of these will be tricky though. I plan on doing the overworld of DKC2 as well. The minimaps don't have any animation so I'll not do those, but the main one does.

I also want to rip that cool secret ending in DKC2. It had the blowing up of Crocodile Isle and K rool sailing off into the sunset. I want it to be an awesome rip! Big Grin
I'm bumping to include my latest map rip- Lake Orangatanga! Here it is:

[attachment=1106]

I discovered that vSNES is adept at ripping background priorities that ZSNES can't disable, so you get a much more advanced way of assembling the images together! Enjoy! Wink
And another map- Razor Ridge from DKC3:

[attachment=1108]
I'm on a role today! I've ripped the Cotton Top Cove map and I have to say that I'm rather happy with it. Or maybe I'm just being sentimental. Anyways enjoy:

[attachment=1110]
Excellent!~
(09-20-2008, 03:56 PM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent!~

Thanks Dazz! Big Grin

And I have the rip for Mekanos:

[attachment=1141]

The rest of the map screens will be pretty difficult (except maybe Kremtoa) as they have dynamic ways to scroll the water. I don't know what I'll do about them, but I'm going to look into it now. I'll rip Kremtoa and probably do a sprite sheet compilation of the universal map objects such as flags and save caves. I didn't put them in a map sheet yet because they are for all worlds.

Will update later! Wink
Very cool!
(09-21-2008, 09:50 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Very cool!

Thanks! I've got a partial solution for the water scrolling problem. Here's my rip for Kremwood Forest:

[attachment=1142]

If you've played the game, you know that this particular map has some really complicated water scrolling values. The water has the wave effect seen in all the other maps, but in addition, the water also flows down the screen as would a normal river. K3 also uses a similar effect. Needless to say these flows have a nearly limitless amount of animations and cannot be ripped.

My solution? I ripped parts of the water layers so that a person can assemble and create the animation themselves:

Image 1- the regular water in a still image
Image 2- the shadow effect overlay

Using a program such as Gamemaker, one can load both images as sprites. Image 1 (standard water) can be given programming to add a wave effect and scroll values to mimic the original game (in fact this is exactly what the original game did). Then you can give image 2 (the water's shadows) an alpha value to create a transparency effect and overlay it onto image 1. Put them in a room and bam! There's your effect. You have image 1 scrolling and waving along and image 2 is placed over it as a shadow! Wink

I realize this requires more effort on the user, but it's really the only foolproof way of doing it. I shall do K3 in the same way. I may do another sheet with just the generic water waving effect (without the shadows) so people can have a plain and regular base to assemble their own maps with. Later though. The waving effect is actually accomplished through a programming code and isn't actually an animated sprite (hence my solution above). But it can be ripped easily and flawlessly using only 8 frames.
Fantastic as ever! Big Grin
(09-21-2008, 11:14 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Fantastic as ever! Big Grin

Thanks again Dazz! I guess I'm not too shabby at this. I've got one more for today- K3:

[attachment=1143]

This is probably my least impressive, but I still think I covered it ok. That's all I'll do for today. So, my list:

Lake Orangatanga- complete!

Kremwood Forest- complete!

Cotton Top Cove- complete!

Mekanos- complete!

K3- complete!

Razor Ridge- complete!

Kaos Kore- complete!

Kremtoa- not done yet. Shouldn't be too hard but may take longer than anticipated. The map switches palettes you know.

World Map- whew! Not done and will likely be rather difficult. I can rip the bottom half using vSNES, but the top half has some distortion with colors. I'm going to do some splicing to deal with it. Should be one heck of a challenge. I will probably do the water layers in the same way I did Kremwood Forest and K3.

I also plan to rip all the general map objects such as flags and caves. Maybe Kiddy and Dixie too. And lastly, I might do a generic 8-frame water ripple animation without shadows so people can use it to assemble their own maps.

Then, I'll see about some of the maps in DKC2. Most of the maps have no animation, but the World Map, Krazy Kremland, and Lost World all have animation. But those are for later.
You're doing great!
(09-21-2008, 04:13 PM)A.J. Nitro Wrote: [ -> ]You're doing great!

Thank you very much! I didn't want to join the community without showing that I could be useful. I'll update some more maps tomorrow. I admit the world map might take a few days at the least, but I'll do my best! Wink

I'll continue to do sprite rips from the DKC games and then we'll see what else. There are a ton of needy SNES games that want attention, so that's where I'll be staying!
Once again, nice rip!
I'm taking a breather from ripping for a few days. But I'll do some more updates before the week's out. There's a few games I'd like to enjoy for a while (namely, Kirby Super Star Ultra!) Wink
Pages: 1 2