Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
New handheld gaming device from the creator of Bob's Game.
(03-07-2011, 06:32 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: On a side note; a technical question for dudes in the know - is 'more powerful 16 bit' actually a thing?

As far as I understand, that bittage is the limiter (short of memory-size, obviously) for what a game can do. So a 'more powerful 16 bit' would be 32 bit.

Yeah, it's fully doable, if kind of redundant, the bit width doesn't actually tell you much about the processing power, just the hard limits of what it can and can't do.
For a start it depends if we're talking 16-bit colour depth or 16-bit processing, no doubt your current computer can scale down to 16-bit colour depth and do everything it can do right now, but if it had a 16-bit processor you'd be pretty fucked.

Assuming we're talking processing power, the bit width is just how much data it can process in one cycle, which is where it does get a little confusing.
Basically, if we had an 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit processor, all running at the same speed, they would all process an 8-bit cycle exactly the same, but if you tried to run a 16-bit or greater cycle, the poor little 8-bit processor would explode and die and hate you forever. Or something.

Suffice to say, yes, you can have a faster 16-bit processor, it just has to run at a faster clockspeed, (more cycles per second, basically) but a better idea generally is to use a 32-bit processor, which does exactly the same thing, (if you were clever you could optimise the system to send two 16-bit cycles as one 32-bit cycle and get double the performance even), and it would allow it to use 32-bit architecture too.
And now you too can point out when people use the term wrong and look like a huge smartass.
B A N D C A M P - T W I T T E R - T U M B L R - Y O U T U B E - G 1 5
Call me aggressive, call me obscene,
but you've always called me sir when you've invaded my dreams.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New handheld gaming device from the creator of Bob's Game. - by PatientZero - 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM