Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Kaos Kore map rip (Donkey Kong Country 3)
(09-21-2008, 09:50 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: Very cool!

Thanks! I've got a partial solution for the water scrolling problem. Here's my rip for Kremwood Forest:

If you've played the game, you know that this particular map has some really complicated water scrolling values. The water has the wave effect seen in all the other maps, but in addition, the water also flows down the screen as would a normal river. K3 also uses a similar effect. Needless to say these flows have a nearly limitless amount of animations and cannot be ripped.

My solution? I ripped parts of the water layers so that a person can assemble and create the animation themselves:

Image 1- the regular water in a still image
Image 2- the shadow effect overlay

Using a program such as Gamemaker, one can load both images as sprites. Image 1 (standard water) can be given programming to add a wave effect and scroll values to mimic the original game (in fact this is exactly what the original game did). Then you can give image 2 (the water's shadows) an alpha value to create a transparency effect and overlay it onto image 1. Put them in a room and bam! There's your effect. You have image 1 scrolling and waving along and image 2 is placed over it as a shadow! Wink

I realize this requires more effort on the user, but it's really the only foolproof way of doing it. I shall do K3 in the same way. I may do another sheet with just the generic water waving effect (without the shadows) so people can have a plain and regular base to assemble their own maps with. Later though. The waving effect is actually accomplished through a programming code and isn't actually an animated sprite (hence my solution above). But it can be ripped easily and flawlessly using only 8 frames.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kaos Kore map rip (Donkey Kong Country 3) - by granville - 09-21-2008, 10:12 AM