Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[FANGAME][IDEA] Just some ideas I had
Ancient bump, and STILL nothing but text. However, it is a substantial amount of text that will hopefully lead to something more! At this point, I'm not really looking for help yet, just for general feelings on the idea. Help would be appreciated, but I'm saying right off the bat that I have no clear plan on just where I want to start off. If I have to make graphics from scratch, that'd probably be first, although I could use dummies around the sizes I need to hammer out the engine... Anyway, this is what I wrote up today:

-Start-

Trying to develop the Mega Mario concept in a little more detail, seeing as that one, which just as difficult to actually make as anything else I came up with, would ultimately be the shortest, and if I decided to go the route of using pre-existing sprites, it also has the vastest source material.

Tentative Title: Super Mario X (After what my Grandma asked for when she tried to get me Megaman X for my birthday years ago xD)

Mario:

Playable character numero uno. I think I've decided that Mario, despite not having access to a Fire Flower at all times, I think I'm gonna have him able to shoot fireballs at all times, the reasoning being that it makes the game much more Megaman like. I may change that, I don't know... He'll still have the ability to jump on enemies. When he defeats a Koopaling boss, he recieves a new ability that is run by ammo.

Suits:

A concept for Mario I've been dabbling with in my head, basically making him akin to Megaman X, in the sense that he can change his "armor" when selecting a stage. Here is a tenative list I have thought up so far:

Fire Flower
- Grants a chargable fireball for more power.

Racoon Suit
- Grants ability to slow falls, and gives Melee attacks instead of Fireballs

Hammer Suit
- Replaces fireballs with arcing hammers

Bee Suit
- Grants limited flight capabilities, replaces Fireballs with a longer travelling, but slower Stinger attack

Frog Suit
- Slow out of water, but has the ability to climb walls and ceilings, and jumps become more powerful

Yoshi:

Mario (maybe Luigi too, I don't know) will have access to Yoshi, who he'll use in ways similar to how Megaman uses Rush. However, they serve slightly different purposes. They DO run on ammo like Rush, but they can be ridden even after their ammo runs out (though they cannot be activated without ammo). Getting hit while riding results in Yoshi running away, and if you leave him behind after he runs, you lose ammo for that Yoshi.

Green Yoshi
- Swallows enemies and hatches them into weapon ammo (ammo goes into other weapons, not the Green Yoshi ammo, and some enemies can't be eaten).

Blue Yoshi
- The winged yoshi, capable of flight. If the ammo runs out while flying, he loses his wings, but can still be ridden until abandoned.

Yellow Yoshi
- Strongest stomp, and can reveal hidden, buried items by stomping

Red Yoshi
- Spits fireballs in a three-way spread.

Luigi:

As Mario is to Megaman, Luigi is to Zero. Instead of fireballs, Luigi uses a hammer with a three-hit combo (Which glows green when he swings, as homage to Zero and really himself as the green guy). Luigi can jump a bit higher than Mario, as well as stall his jumps in the air (Like Yoshi). Instead of getting weapons that use ammo from the Koopalings, Luigi gets new abilities, some of which use ammo, but others that do not, like a chargable hammer attack, for example.

Mr. L:
Like Zero's Black Armor from the X series, Luigi can access a hidden costume that increases his attack twice as high, but reduces his defense by half. This is Luigi's only costume change.

Koopalings:

Taking the place of the 8 Robot Masters from the Megaman Series are the 8 Koopalings. Each resides at the end of a stage and each yields a new power for Mario and Luigi. One problem that I realize might arise is that it's a lot harder to guess what boss power will be damaging to what boss, but in the end, a lot of Megaman villains were hard to guess the weakness to, and really once you guess it, you've got it down anyway. I haven't decided EXACTLY what kind of stages I want to have for each Koopaling, but they'd at least be related to what they give you or how they attack (For example, Ludwig's stage would be something sky related, since he uses lightning and gives lightning and ice abilities).

Larry
- Attacks by hurling Bob-oms at you. Yields a Bob-om Toss for Mario, and a Charable Hammer attack for Luigi.

Roy
- Guard heavy, using his shell a great deal during the fight. Yields a Koopa Shell attack for Mario, and a Projectile Deflector for Luigi's hammer.

Lemmy
- Bounces around the arena, using his bouncing balls to attack. Yields Mario a Super Jump Punch, and Luigi a Triple Jump.

Wendy
- Uses her inexplicible ring attacks. Yields a Tornado Spin Attack for Mario, and an Aerial Hammer Spin for Luigi

Iggy
- Pulls various objects out of the ground Super Mario Bros. 2 style, ranging from vegetables to spiked balls to chain chomps. Yields Vegetable Grabbing for both bros. (While there are objects that can be plucked out of the ground, this ability, at the cost of ammo, plucks an object out of the ground when there is nothing there).

Morton
- Relies on his weight and stomping attacks. Yields a Ground Pound for Mario AND Luigi. (Mario's uses ammo to become more powerful)

Ludwig
- Ludwig has vaguely lightning related powers. Yields an Ice Flower for Mario, and a Thunderhand Attack for Luigi

Jr.
- Uses his Magic Paintbrush to fight you. Yields a FLUDD Attack for Mario, and a Poltergust 3000 attack for Luigi (Uses ammo, unlike most of Luigi's gained abilities).

Flight Stage:

Before reaching Bowser's Castle for the final stages, there is an interim shooter stage where the player rides on Yoshi, able to fly and have him spit an infinite supply of fireballs. The stage would feature a number of mini-boss versions of the Koopalings, flying their own Clown Cars and doing different attacks. There might be a boss at the end of the flying stage as well.

Minibosses/Fortress Bosses:

Now I can't decide whether to pull a Megaman 3 and re-open certain stages for fights with non-Koopaling bosses, but I think that may be a little much, since I can easily squeeze said bosses in as mini-bosses and fortress bosses. At the moment, I can't decide where to put certain bosses anyway. I don't know exactly where I'm going to put these bosses, but here are my ideas thus far:

Kamek - More or less just the teleport around and try to shoot you kind of boss.

Wart - Burps bubbles at you and tries to stomp on you. He'd appear in Iggy's level, which has a big focus on pulling vegetables out of the ground (his weakness). Or he might appear as a Fortress Boss with a weakness to the vegetable attack, I don't know.

Tatanga - Either the miniboss of Ludwig's level that takes place in the sky, or the boss of the Flight Stage.

Bouldergeist - I haven't decided on his combat style yet, but he seems like a pretty cool boss, might be good as a fortress boss because of his size.

King Boo - I might possibly choose King Boo over Bouldergeist if I had to choose between the two... One of the stages is probably going to be a Boo Mansion, so he'd make an appropriate mini-boss there.

Birdo - More or less just Birdo, maybe with some extra surprises.

Robirdo - Perhaps a fortress boss version of regular Birdo on a much larger scale.

Wiggler - After riding Wiggler through a portion of the stage, you accidentally stomp on his head, and in his anger, he becomes the mini-boss.

Petey Piranha - I haven't decided what I want him to do, but he's kinda a given.

Dino Piranha - Perhaps a Fortress Boss version of Petey Piranha.

Mouser - Another mini-boss, but maybe he'd fight more like Bomb Man than a traditional Mouser.

Lakithunder - I always liked this boss from New Super Mario Bros, so I wanna incorporate him somewhere.

King Kaliente - Another big boss from Galaxy which could make a good Fortress boss.

Major Burrows- This one I'm not as sure about incorporating, but I did like the fact that Galazy had a boss version of the Monty Moles. What would also be cool is having him appear as a mini-boss in one level, and then as a Fortress Boss, riding a tank with other moles.

The final levels are obviously going to be rematches with the Koopalings and then battles with Bowser, but I have no idea how the gameplay will play out yet. I think there's a lot more I'd have to concentrate on first anyway.

So those are all the ideas I have for "MegaMario" at the time. I might edit this post with more ideas as I get them, but for now, this is where I'm at in planning stages. Should I work with pre-existing sprites, or go completely custom? What is a good mixture of the Megaman and Mario engines? These are things I'm gonna be thinking about. I might dabble in some programming ideas in a day or two.

One more thing, don't suggest characters from the various RPG series. If I actually do this game, I'd want to incorporate more of THOSE characters in a sequel.

-End-

Phew, so that's the ideas I had. Writing it also gave me OTHER knock-off ideas, like a combination of Megaman and Pokemon (tentative titles include Pokeman and Megamon). Maybe later...
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just some ideas I had - by TomGuycott - 11-17-2009, 08:27 PM
RE: Just some ideas I had - by TomGuycott - 11-30-2009, 12:42 AM
RE: Just some ideas I had - by Vipershark - 11-30-2009, 02:02 AM
RE: Just some ideas I had - by HunterZ - 11-30-2009, 02:46 AM
RE: Just some ideas I had - by TomGuycott - 11-30-2009, 01:00 PM
RE: Just some ideas I had - by Adam - 11-30-2009, 09:39 PM
RE: Just some ideas I had - by TomGuycott - 12-04-2009, 04:10 AM
RE: Just some ideas I had - by TomGuycott - 12-10-2009, 12:32 AM
RE: Just some ideas I had - by TomGuycott - 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM
RE: Just some ideas I had - by TomGuycott - 04-26-2010, 12:49 AM