The VG Resource

Full Version: [FANGAME][IDEA] Just some ideas I had
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't have anything substantial for any of these ideas other than written text, because I've been very busy with work and school and the like, but I've had these ideas floating around in my head so long that I wanted to post them and see if I couldn't get some small feedback or discussion going about them.

Idea 1: "You've Created a Time Paradox!"

This is an idea I've been meandering with for quite some time, which actually made me start ripping sprites since I wanted certain sprites that were not yet ripped. Essentially, this is a game idea I have that has a very grand scale, with lots of (or TOO many) playable characters, tons of bosses, and a bunch of levels that don't have much rhyme or reason. Actually, there WOULD be an ongoing story, but because of the nature of the story progression and the concept of a time paradox, the order and true nature of such scenes would be questionable. The game is kind of a spriting faux pas, in the sense that there would be sprites of differing styles hanging out together in different levels and cutscenes, stuff as drastic as 8-bit Simon Belmont fighting off a 16 bit monster from a game series he wasn't even a part of, or a scene with the Megaman X city intro sequence with 8 bit Doomships attacking in the background.

Gameplay Style:
-The game is essentially a side-scrolling action RPG. There won't be any leveling up aspects as of yet, though, I was thinking the player's stats increased based on what collectables they find in game.

-The main character, for reasons I won't get into right now, can take the form of different characters. Before starting a stage, a character from your collection would be chosen, and you'd play as that character. I may implement stages or gameplay where more than one character can be chosen in either a tag-team or extra life kind of aspect, but I have to see if I can get that to work in the game engine (which is not yet built Sad ).

-The control style would be something akin to Smash Brothers or Kirby in most respects, in the sense that the directions you press and the attack buttons you press can determine the moves that you use. As such, certain characters will have more moves than they could actually perform in the games of their origin. There will also be attacks that require ammo or magical energy, all of which would be detailed by a power bar next to one's life bar. I haven't decided whether it slowly regenerates, or whether only pickups regenerate it. There is also a bar for flight power, where applicable.

-The game map begins at a center point, and spreads out into a large number of paths, all of which have a "final boss" endpoint. Upon completion of all paths, the "endgame" phase is unlocked.

-The stage system involves following the game map, selecting a stage and engaging in the stage. In that sense, the gameplay is somewhat linear, but within stages, there can be secret paths, and finishing the stage through the ways the paths provide can unlock new, hidden stages. Also, some stages can only be selected when in possession of a certain character or item

-As far as character unlocking goes, there are some that are unlocked upon completion of a stage, others by getting hidden collectables, and others are bought at "shops" using points earned by beating enemies and stages.

-There would also be a rival system. At the beginning of the game, the computer asks you a bunch of questions, and one of the answers determines your rival boss character. This rival periodically appears as a boss, and thus the rival would be different for different players or playthroughs.

Examples: I know that by now you must be utterly confused. Here are some examples of events, stages and the like to possibly make it clearer, or more vague.

-X Intro Stage: Mentioned above, there would be a stage based on the intro stage of Megaman X. It would be a difficult rail stage where the player would be chased constantly by X, who uses his various abilities to try and utterly destroy you. However, later on in the stage, Omega from Megaman Zero 3 becomes the "chaser" as he begins destroying the city.

-The Veldt: The FFVI location where various monsters roam, now with monsters from all sorts of games. Throughout the level, Gau turns up as a boss, and if defeated every time before he can run away, you'll unlock him as playable at the end of the stage. There is also a hidden entrance to a much harder level, the Veldt Cave, where you can unlock a more powerful version of Gau.

-Fawfulized Skull Castle: An example of some simple edits being used in the game... essentially, Wily's Castle where all the enemies and Robot Masters have been "Fawfulized", given aspects like big swirly goggles and huge smiles.
[Image: gutsful.png] (Edited (poorly) from Mageker's Fawful and Fawful Mole and Solink's Wily Wars Gutsman)
[Image: fawfulcastle.png] [Image: fawfulmachine.png] (More edit sketches of how I visualize this silly part. Fawful bits are still from Mageker rips, the Skull Castle and Wily Machine rips were from Sprites Inc. For that reason, I'm not sure if I should be posting them, even as silliness and for examples, but... I'll risk it, the edits look so stupid anyway)

-National Cape Day: A level centered around a festival dedicated to capes. One of the less action based levels where the player gets to talk to various characters. On the outskirts of the festival are the characters who are sore about not being allowed in without capes, and if you don't happen to have a cape, you can't get in. However, a character in disguise seems to take pity on you and offers to sell you some characters who happen to have capes... The reason why it's Dracula who is in disguise in particular is a gag for when you first meet him. He offers to sell you the stuff, and opens his cape like a shady salesman, but he opens the side that does the Black Hellfire (or whatever) and shoots you with that by accident before opening the other side, which has the goods.
[Image: dracuschmoo.png] (Edited from SmithyGCN's Dracula and Schmoo from SotN)

Another thing: all sprites I use will of course be credited on a rather massive credits page, but ultimately this is just a silly idea I'm doing as a hobby.

So that's idea 1. I'm still thinking about how to describe idea 2, which is a little cooler than this one, considering I'm sure something like this idea has been done 100 times before. xD
Idea 2: "Final Fantasy Reverse VI" (Tenative title)

Man, something with that kind of title sounds like a bad Final Fantasy / Kingdom Hearts crossover fanfiction. However, accepting that all forms of fangames with plots are essentially fanfiction, and Kingdom Hearts is already a crossover withmore than Final Fantasy, so I'll move on. xD

And no, there's no Kingdom Hearts, and the weird title would actually look something like "Final Fantasy ^' ", with the roman numeral flipped.. or should it be '^? I don't know what makes more sense.

While this is still a hobby project that I'm doing, like my ridiculous first idea, this is actually something I feel would be a decent fangame, so when I do get around to it, I am gonna put a decent amount of work into it to make it nice. So let me get this idea ball rolling...

Basic Storyline / Premise:

The game takes place in the world with the same characters from Final Fantasy VI. However, there is small differences in character design, and BIG differences in character and story development.

In this alternate universe style storytelling, the Empire already knows the secret and purpose of Magicite, and their reach is much further, many of the towns and cities from the original game already under the Empire's control.

The story essentially takes all the heroes of FFVI and puts them into different roles from what was originally established in the games. Also, none of the original characters are playable characters, at least not at the start. Instead, many of the supporting cast, villains, and side characters from the actual game have taken up playable character roles.

This particular game idea I want to do more as an actual action-RPG, with a leveling up and equipment system, hopefully, or if not actual equiping, maybe the character's equipment improves per level. That is something I still have to think about, since I plan to program the darn thing on my own.

The Playable Characters (Not in order of appearance in game):

-Replacing Terra: Maduin the Esper
Terra's Esper father would replace Terra's role as a sort of "magic soldier", combining fighting power and magical esper elements. However, he doesn't take her role as the story's main character (Despite the fact all the characters in the game really just work off each other).

-Replacing Locke: Lone Wolf the Pickpocket
Does anyone else even remember this guy? I thought he was such a cool looking character, and he barely ever did anything. But whenever he was around, I was always like "Woooooo!" Well, maybe not THAT excited. He's the new thief character, though.

-Replacing Edgar: Cid the Magitek Engineer
The holder of the Cid namesake for FFVI, Cid replaces Edgar as the tool-wielding character, some of his tools having magitek elements to them like lasers and such. Don't let his old appearance trick you, though, he probably has robot legs... well, not really.

-Replacing Shadow: Baram the Assassin
Baram replaces Shadow as the bearer of a mysterious past and ninja-like skills. Not much else to say about this guy.

-Replacing Sabin: Duncan the Master
Sabin's master Duncan is my first choice for the Martial Arts kind of character, but my second choice is Vargas, and I can't decide between the two of them. I can work with either one of them though.

-Replacing Celes: General Kefka
Wait, WHAT!? Kefka as a playable character!?... Well, yeah. In this game, he's not the villain. He's still silly, but in a sane way, because in this storyline, he doesn't undergo a Magitek Infusion that makes him go crazy.

-Replacing Cyan: Siegfried the Swordsman
That mysterious swordsman whose role was far underutilized in the original SNES game. He takes Cyan's place as the sword master of the group.

-Replacing Gau: Ultros the Octopus
The wise-cracking, immature eight-tentacled monster. He doesn't have a rage system, but he'll have another system of monster attacks.

-Replacing Setzer: Darill the Daredevil
Setzer's potential squeeze whose actions cost her own life in the original game. She serves as the owner of the game's airship.

-Replacing Strago: Rachel the Deceased
I had a weird time coming up with a good replacement for Strago as the "blue mage" kind of character, but then I decided to add in a storyline where Rachel is revived through the means of the Phoenix Esper, and what results is she gains the ability to preserve Esper powers in her body after meeting them. So she kinda becomes a blue mage-summoner kind of character.. sort of.

-Replacing Relm: Maria the Singer
Another type of artist to replace the Painter... the only trouble is I haven't decided on what kind of gameplay to use for her yet.

-Replacing Mog: Kappa
The Imp status of the original game, now as a character who does stuff... yeah. xD

-Replacing Umaro: Yura the Esper
This fella looked very Umaro like... I couldn't think of any other bizarre side character to serve as the enstranged muscle of the group. So... yeah

-Replacing Gogo: Mystery Character
This I actually would want to keep a secret... it's not even THAT clever, but... Cute

So those are all the characters who are replacing the old ones... but what roles would the original characters play?

-Terra
Terra essentially serves the purpose that she served in the beginning of the original game, as an enslaved half-Esper. However, she doesn't get the crown destroyed in Narshe, and throughout the game she serves as a primary antagonist, piloting the various Empire machines that were seen in the first game, like Magitek armor, Tunnel Armor, etc. She also would serve as a pivotal plot point later in the game.

-Locke
Locke was a traitor to his country who sold secrets to the Empire for money and diplomatic immunity. Early on, when Rachel found out about it, he arranged to have her killed by means of an "accident".

-Edgar
Edgar's nation is not just engaged in a truce, but a full-blown alliance, and his castle is the center-stage for the Magitek facility. He's still just as womanizing, just without a desire for good.

-Sabin
Sabin forsakes his master and goes to the Empire to be a bodyguard for General Celes.

-Shadow
Shadow currently seems to be in the employ of the empire as a highly skilled assassin, but his loyalty and true intentions are unknown.

-Celes
Celes remains a loyal General to the Empire, and has a much colder personality compared to the original game. She is second only to the Emperor in terms of rank.

-Cyan
Cyan betrays Doma before the events of the game for a position as a Captain, and through his skills he ascends to the rank of General. He is not nearly as kind and level-headed as in the original game, although he does put on a front for being a proper General. As soon as his blood boils, though, he goes on a berserk rampage and wildly kills his enemies.

-Gau, Mog and Umaro
All three of these characters are different experiments within the Empire's laboratories, and are met during different stages of the game.

-Strago
Strago is yet another servant of the Empire, but not because he wishes to. He performs his duties extracting Magicite believing that his granddaughter Relm is held hostage.

-Relm
Relm isn't actually being held hostage, but instead living lavishly in the Empire as a noble, of sorts. This is in exchange for helping keep her grandfather in check.

-Gogo
I have yet to fully decide his purpose in the game.

-Leo
Leo still serves as a kind individual who has his own outlook on the war.

So that's just a teaser of what I have going on in my head so far... it's a weird idea, I know, but I just wanted to have it written down and I was hoping for some feedback. Anyway, toodles for now.
I have a few more weird ideas floating around in my head... once the semester ends, I'll actually make a decision and start to work on one of these, albeit it just for fun, and when I come to a decision I'll probably ask to have the thread closed or just edit it to focus on the one I'd want feedback on. But for now, here are more written ideas:

Cocoron 2:

A tenative title, of course, I'd probably give it a cheesy subtitle like "Cocoron: Return to Dreams" or something ridiculous like that. Essentially it'd be a spiritual sequel to the original, not really intending to be exactly the same... Maybe I should explain with a list.

Returning aspects:
-Creating characters by choosing different body parts and weapons
-Returning characters like Cocoron, Flint the Pirate, Santa Claus and others
-Non-linear stage select

New aspects I plan to make:
-Melee attacks (Either based on what body you choose, or maybe it'd be a selectable attack)
-New moves (possibly, kind of falls under the melee attacks above, maybe I'd include special attacks or moves based on what head or body you choose)
-Leveling up system maybe?
-The levels themselves would be a little less linear, slightly longer, more bosses, longer game overall.
-Transitions between good and bad dreams (Levels would change based on whether the dream was good or bad
-Possible cameos by other characters based around dream worlds? (Little Nemo, Kirby.. are there some others?)
-Higher than 8-bit graphics

I just thought it was a very interesting game, and I'd love to see a sequel, even if I have to make it myself. xD

Clash at Demonhead 2:

What's with me and these ideas for sequels to relatively unknown NES games? xD I think the list format would work well with this idea too...

Returning aspects:
-Returning characters such as Bang, Mary, the Commander, as well as villains such as the Seven Governors and their Demon's Battalion.
-The powerup suits like the Aqualung, Jet Pack, etc.
-The non-linear style of wandering around an expansive world map route to route.
-Return of Force Powers

New aspects I plan to make:
-Continuation of the story from the first
-New playable characters, such as other members of SABRE, and perhaps even a playable villain?
-New Force powers
-Slightly altered fighting system (Melee attacks in addition to the gun)
-New power suits?
-Bigger levels and a bigger world map
-More than 8 bits.

I plan to have a lot of silliness in this one when I actually get around to it, namely in cutscene dialogue and the like.

Mega Mario:

Really all my ideas have been silly so far... This idea is one that I'm sure has been thought up before, and if it hasn't, it should have been. Basically, a blending of Mario characters into a Megaman format. How so? Well, let's go to the list format again:

-Choice of two characters: Mario and Luigi.
-Mario plays somewhat similar to Megaman, in the sense that he uses projectiles and gets new powerups for beating main bosses. Mario can also gain new abilities in the stages (kinda like finding armor capsules in Megaman X).
-Luigi plays similar to Zero, using a close-range hammer (with some green glowing effects to be homage to the Z-saber), and gets new abilities for beating main bosses rather than powerups.
-An 8 Boss stage select. The boss lineup would be the Koopalings (with Bowser Jr.), other bosses from the series showing up as mid bosses and "Fortress" bosses
-Speaking of the Fortress, Bowser's Castle would take the place of the Skull Castle, of course.
-Yoshi serving the purposes Rush usually serves.

Some things that I have yet to decide is whether it would be more Mario-like in physics, or more Megaman like. Regardless, I'd probably make it worse than either engine. xD Also I don't know whether to have Mario get different suits for when he uses different powers, or whether to give him them like Megaman X armor. The game concept also sets up for sequels, like games with different villains like Smithy's gang, etc. Also, the spriting style would likely take sprites from some sort of Mario & Luigi style. -Shrugs- The idea is really silly, I don't really think I'd have the focus to do a tremendous amount of custom work.

Well, those are just a few more. Don't take these ideas TOO seriously yet. If I get enough positive feedback for one concept over the others, I might have the courage to give that concept the love and labor it needs to actually be reasonably good. Enough negative feedback, and I'll lock the idea in a vault with my other terrible ideas. xD
Mega Mario actually sounds pretty cool.
Quote:[Image: fawfulcastle.png] [Image: fawfulmachine.png]

That just might be the best thing i have seen in a long time.

I have always pictured a game like #1. Could never figure out a good enough plotline to go through with.
Mega Mario is the kind of thing I'd wanna give a lot of attention to the engine and making sure the sprite styles didn't clash. The M&L RPG style seems like a decent enough choice if I wasn't aiming to make sprites myself, but if I could get enough help with it maybe there could be some sort of custom style. -Shrugs-

As for my idea at the top of the page, it's really meant to be ridiculous. The storyline does come to certain endpoints, though, but ultimately it's difficult to discern which portions of the story are canon, because of the time paradox concept. It also serves to bring different versions of different characters together.. for example, one level ends with a boss fight against Porky from Mother 2, and Porky from Mother 3 in their respective spider mechs.
Yeah, Mega Mario doesn't sound like too bad of an idea! These are some pretty good ideas, in any case, hopefully you can put them in motion, man!
This here is the best custom shprite seet you've evar seen and shuld be on frunt page raight naow!

[Image: fawfulize.png]
(Fawful bits by Mageker, Castlevania and Breath of Fire by SmithyGCN, Marx by OmegaKyogre, Phalanx by Lord Zymeth, Final boss of Splatterhouse 2 by Maxim, and Disgaea bits by CrimsonPenguin)

... xD If nothing else, at least ONE of those must make you chuckle.

What this ACTUALLY might be is a few more "Fawfulized" characters from the idea above "You've Created a Time Paradox!" A few situations in the "storyline", Fawful gets a rather extensive hold on certain areas (like Wily's, Bowser's, and Dracula's castles, for example)... other times he randomly slaps a Fawful mask on an enemy and brainwashes them. Really he's just a nuisance kind of character, but a more frequent one, and he shows up for National Cape Day!

I had some other zany crap I was dabbling in while I was suffering from insomnia, award-winning combinations such as slapping the helmet of Armored Bowser from Yoshi Safari on top of the body of the last form of Sigma in Megaman X, but I'm finally feeling tired, so I'm gonna probably get to sleep before something else can distract me.
Okay, I swear that the next time I post in this thread or this forum, it's gonna be with legit work on one or more of these fangames, and not just silly ideas! But I had forgotten about these ones until hearing about Megaman 10 today, and I just wanted to get them off my chest before I forgot about them again! xD

Both are just fangame renditions of what I think would be cool versions of Megaman X9 and X10, which i think, the way I planned it anyway, would be a cool place to end the X series... non-canonically. I picture both of these games to have a Megaman Zero style to kind of bridge the gap between the X and Zero series.

Megaman X9

Story:
The human and Reploid relations are in shambles after the events of X8, where even the supposedly virus-proof design of the New Generation Reploids proved to produce an army of powerful Mavericks. Despite the valiant efforts of the Maverick Hunters, the humans are on the attack politically, stating that the outbreak of Mavericks has been steadily increasing even with the Hunters. Certain humans even go so far as to accuse the Hunters of secretly being Mavericks themselves.

The gap is made wider by the fact that there is an emergence of two incredibly dangerous groups of Mavericks. In the vacuum of power among Mavericks, Vile, after surviving the events of X8, takes command of a large number of forces formerly loyal to Sigma and strikes at humans directly. At the same time, a group of surviving New Generation Reploids also go on the attack, but through a more strategic sense, using their Copy abilities to take forms of different Reploids to frame them for atrocious acts.

Ultimately, the Maverick Hunters are forced to do battle with the two factions of Mavericks while fearing infiltration from the outside, while ALSO evading human authorities to continue to keep the peace without getting captured and retired by the humans. Things are also made more complicated upon the discovery of signals coming from the laboratories where X and Zero were built.

Gameplay:
-I'd prefer to eliminate the tag-in feature from X7 and X8, but then again, it probably wouldn't hurt that much to keep... however, there are levels where I would want it deactivated.
-X plays pretty much the way you expect, but would feature some new armor(s). The question is: bring back old armors in a new sprite style, or make entirely new ones?
-Zero also would play pretty much the same, maybe with some new weapons, maybe chips to change his abilities slightly.
-Axl in his standard form would be pretty much the same, but I think it would be cooler if he could take the forms of the Maverick bosses, like Model A in ZXA.

Bosses:
-The standard 8 Boss select would be there, but 4 would serve Vile, and 4 would be part of the New Generation faction.
-I need to find my list of which animals they all are... xD
-Some of the non-main bosses would actually be humans riding Mechaniloids.

Of all the ideas I've had up to this point, these two are the least likely to ever get made. Not only is the X and Zero engine a difficult thing for me to figure out, but the amount of custom spriting involved and the need for quality control is so astronomical that by the time I even get around to prototyping the damn thing, the REAL X9 and 10 would likely be out. But yeah, there they are... Back to work for me now. xD
Ancient bump, and STILL nothing but text. However, it is a substantial amount of text that will hopefully lead to something more! At this point, I'm not really looking for help yet, just for general feelings on the idea. Help would be appreciated, but I'm saying right off the bat that I have no clear plan on just where I want to start off. If I have to make graphics from scratch, that'd probably be first, although I could use dummies around the sizes I need to hammer out the engine... Anyway, this is what I wrote up today:

-Start-

Trying to develop the Mega Mario concept in a little more detail, seeing as that one, which just as difficult to actually make as anything else I came up with, would ultimately be the shortest, and if I decided to go the route of using pre-existing sprites, it also has the vastest source material.

Tentative Title: Super Mario X (After what my Grandma asked for when she tried to get me Megaman X for my birthday years ago xD)

Mario:

Playable character numero uno. I think I've decided that Mario, despite not having access to a Fire Flower at all times, I think I'm gonna have him able to shoot fireballs at all times, the reasoning being that it makes the game much more Megaman like. I may change that, I don't know... He'll still have the ability to jump on enemies. When he defeats a Koopaling boss, he recieves a new ability that is run by ammo.

Suits:

A concept for Mario I've been dabbling with in my head, basically making him akin to Megaman X, in the sense that he can change his "armor" when selecting a stage. Here is a tenative list I have thought up so far:

Fire Flower
- Grants a chargable fireball for more power.

Racoon Suit
- Grants ability to slow falls, and gives Melee attacks instead of Fireballs

Hammer Suit
- Replaces fireballs with arcing hammers

Bee Suit
- Grants limited flight capabilities, replaces Fireballs with a longer travelling, but slower Stinger attack

Frog Suit
- Slow out of water, but has the ability to climb walls and ceilings, and jumps become more powerful

Yoshi:

Mario (maybe Luigi too, I don't know) will have access to Yoshi, who he'll use in ways similar to how Megaman uses Rush. However, they serve slightly different purposes. They DO run on ammo like Rush, but they can be ridden even after their ammo runs out (though they cannot be activated without ammo). Getting hit while riding results in Yoshi running away, and if you leave him behind after he runs, you lose ammo for that Yoshi.

Green Yoshi
- Swallows enemies and hatches them into weapon ammo (ammo goes into other weapons, not the Green Yoshi ammo, and some enemies can't be eaten).

Blue Yoshi
- The winged yoshi, capable of flight. If the ammo runs out while flying, he loses his wings, but can still be ridden until abandoned.

Yellow Yoshi
- Strongest stomp, and can reveal hidden, buried items by stomping

Red Yoshi
- Spits fireballs in a three-way spread.

Luigi:

As Mario is to Megaman, Luigi is to Zero. Instead of fireballs, Luigi uses a hammer with a three-hit combo (Which glows green when he swings, as homage to Zero and really himself as the green guy). Luigi can jump a bit higher than Mario, as well as stall his jumps in the air (Like Yoshi). Instead of getting weapons that use ammo from the Koopalings, Luigi gets new abilities, some of which use ammo, but others that do not, like a chargable hammer attack, for example.

Mr. L:
Like Zero's Black Armor from the X series, Luigi can access a hidden costume that increases his attack twice as high, but reduces his defense by half. This is Luigi's only costume change.

Koopalings:

Taking the place of the 8 Robot Masters from the Megaman Series are the 8 Koopalings. Each resides at the end of a stage and each yields a new power for Mario and Luigi. One problem that I realize might arise is that it's a lot harder to guess what boss power will be damaging to what boss, but in the end, a lot of Megaman villains were hard to guess the weakness to, and really once you guess it, you've got it down anyway. I haven't decided EXACTLY what kind of stages I want to have for each Koopaling, but they'd at least be related to what they give you or how they attack (For example, Ludwig's stage would be something sky related, since he uses lightning and gives lightning and ice abilities).

Larry
- Attacks by hurling Bob-oms at you. Yields a Bob-om Toss for Mario, and a Charable Hammer attack for Luigi.

Roy
- Guard heavy, using his shell a great deal during the fight. Yields a Koopa Shell attack for Mario, and a Projectile Deflector for Luigi's hammer.

Lemmy
- Bounces around the arena, using his bouncing balls to attack. Yields Mario a Super Jump Punch, and Luigi a Triple Jump.

Wendy
- Uses her inexplicible ring attacks. Yields a Tornado Spin Attack for Mario, and an Aerial Hammer Spin for Luigi

Iggy
- Pulls various objects out of the ground Super Mario Bros. 2 style, ranging from vegetables to spiked balls to chain chomps. Yields Vegetable Grabbing for both bros. (While there are objects that can be plucked out of the ground, this ability, at the cost of ammo, plucks an object out of the ground when there is nothing there).

Morton
- Relies on his weight and stomping attacks. Yields a Ground Pound for Mario AND Luigi. (Mario's uses ammo to become more powerful)

Ludwig
- Ludwig has vaguely lightning related powers. Yields an Ice Flower for Mario, and a Thunderhand Attack for Luigi

Jr.
- Uses his Magic Paintbrush to fight you. Yields a FLUDD Attack for Mario, and a Poltergust 3000 attack for Luigi (Uses ammo, unlike most of Luigi's gained abilities).

Flight Stage:

Before reaching Bowser's Castle for the final stages, there is an interim shooter stage where the player rides on Yoshi, able to fly and have him spit an infinite supply of fireballs. The stage would feature a number of mini-boss versions of the Koopalings, flying their own Clown Cars and doing different attacks. There might be a boss at the end of the flying stage as well.

Minibosses/Fortress Bosses:

Now I can't decide whether to pull a Megaman 3 and re-open certain stages for fights with non-Koopaling bosses, but I think that may be a little much, since I can easily squeeze said bosses in as mini-bosses and fortress bosses. At the moment, I can't decide where to put certain bosses anyway. I don't know exactly where I'm going to put these bosses, but here are my ideas thus far:

Kamek - More or less just the teleport around and try to shoot you kind of boss.

Wart - Burps bubbles at you and tries to stomp on you. He'd appear in Iggy's level, which has a big focus on pulling vegetables out of the ground (his weakness). Or he might appear as a Fortress Boss with a weakness to the vegetable attack, I don't know.

Tatanga - Either the miniboss of Ludwig's level that takes place in the sky, or the boss of the Flight Stage.

Bouldergeist - I haven't decided on his combat style yet, but he seems like a pretty cool boss, might be good as a fortress boss because of his size.

King Boo - I might possibly choose King Boo over Bouldergeist if I had to choose between the two... One of the stages is probably going to be a Boo Mansion, so he'd make an appropriate mini-boss there.

Birdo - More or less just Birdo, maybe with some extra surprises.

Robirdo - Perhaps a fortress boss version of regular Birdo on a much larger scale.

Wiggler - After riding Wiggler through a portion of the stage, you accidentally stomp on his head, and in his anger, he becomes the mini-boss.

Petey Piranha - I haven't decided what I want him to do, but he's kinda a given.

Dino Piranha - Perhaps a Fortress Boss version of Petey Piranha.

Mouser - Another mini-boss, but maybe he'd fight more like Bomb Man than a traditional Mouser.

Lakithunder - I always liked this boss from New Super Mario Bros, so I wanna incorporate him somewhere.

King Kaliente - Another big boss from Galaxy which could make a good Fortress boss.

Major Burrows- This one I'm not as sure about incorporating, but I did like the fact that Galazy had a boss version of the Monty Moles. What would also be cool is having him appear as a mini-boss in one level, and then as a Fortress Boss, riding a tank with other moles.

The final levels are obviously going to be rematches with the Koopalings and then battles with Bowser, but I have no idea how the gameplay will play out yet. I think there's a lot more I'd have to concentrate on first anyway.

So those are all the ideas I have for "MegaMario" at the time. I might edit this post with more ideas as I get them, but for now, this is where I'm at in planning stages. Should I work with pre-existing sprites, or go completely custom? What is a good mixture of the Megaman and Mario engines? These are things I'm gonna be thinking about. I might dabble in some programming ideas in a day or two.

One more thing, don't suggest characters from the various RPG series. If I actually do this game, I'd want to incorporate more of THOSE characters in a sequel.

-End-

Phew, so that's the ideas I had. Writing it also gave me OTHER knock-off ideas, like a combination of Megaman and Pokemon (tentative titles include Pokeman and Megamon). Maybe later...
More ideas, really just to keep it in a place where I can access it from multiple places and just in case something happens to my computer randomly, blah blah blah. I swear I'll run out of ideas to write about eventually.

This is yet another idea I've come up with, kinda reusing the last concept with a different idea. Basically having a Pokemon action game with a Megaman-like format. We could call it "Pokeman" or something. Really I just made a parallel to the fact that Megaman usually has 8 bosses with extras through different means, and Pokemon has 8 Gym Leaders with extra boss-ish characters mixed in, and I also just reaaally want to see an action-based Pokemon game that is decent, even if I have to make it myself... someday. xD

Basic Format:

-Multiple playable Pokemon, one chosen from a list at start, the rest unlockable.

-Each Pokemon has regular "typeless" attacks which allow creatures who are completely immune to certain types to be beatable. Each pokemon also have a type-based attack to start corresponding to the individual Pokemon.

-8 stages with a Gym Leader as a boss. Defeating a boss yields a TM that gives Pokemon a move that would be advantageous against another Gym Leader. The move may not be a type advantage, due to the fact that not every Pokemon can learn a move of every type, but it would be advantageous against the opposing boss' patterns.

-TMs earned from Leaders require PP to use (like Megaman's weapons needing ammo). Can be recovered through pickups.

-Completion of the standard 8 stages leads to the "Wily Castle" segment of the game, fighting the Elite Four and Champion.

-Different modes of difficulty. While normal mode Gym Leaders would use only one signature Pokemon (usually), harder modes, in addition to increasing enemy damage and aggressiveness, also gives Gym Leaders more of their lineup.

-Evolution would be possible (I'd have to figure out how to do it first, much like a lot of this xD). However, Pokemon would evolve via traditional means, meaning a Pokemon like Charmander would have to "gain experience", which is simply gained through kills, while Pokemon like Pikachu would have to evolve through a stone, which would be hidden in a specific level. To prevent unwanted evolution, an Everstone can also be selected from the menu to prevent evolution.

Stage Format:

-No concrete ideas for the stages yet (seeing as it would require actual RESEARCH, something I don't really feel like doing right now... too tired. xD), but the format would vary slightly between stages.

-Certain stages consist of running through the routes before a given city, going through said city, going through certain landmarks (such as the Fighting Dojo before Sabrina's Gym), followed by the leader's Gym, which can either be a shorter or longer segment of a given stage.

-Stronger trainers serve as minibosses, preventing progression until they are defeated.

-Pivotal Pokemon also serve as minibosses, such as Marowak's Ghost.

-Tentative Stage Order:
Koga - Erika - Giovanni - Surge - Misty - Brock - Blaine - Sabrina

-Final stages involve fighting through elaborate stages at the Indigo Plateau, including mini-boss fights against the defeated Gym Leaders, now with stronger Pokemon or altered strategies. For example, Lt Surge fights with a new Electabuzz rather than Raichu, the original boss, and Giovanni, instead of Rhydon, fights using Nidoking and Nidoqueen both at once.

-Defeating the Elite Four and the Champion under normal conditions ends the game. If certain conditions are met (Such as fighting hidden mini-bosses in certain stages, like Team Rocket and the Legendary Birds), unlocks an extension of the final levels, leading to a true final battle with Mewtwo.

-Mewtwo's first stage ends with rematches against the standard Gym teams, and the second stage is against Mewtwo himself.

Tenative Playable List:

-Ideally, I'd love to have every Gen I type represented in some way. Realistically, that ain't happening. xD Here's a more realistic list of Pokemon families:

Standard
- Charmander
- Bulbasaur
- Squirtle
- Drowzee
- Sandshrew
- Geodude
- Pikachu
- Weedle

Unlockable
-Hitmonchan
-Kabutops
-Clefairy
-Ghastly
-Mew

Tenative Boss List:

Minibosses
-Snorlax
-Hitmonchan
-Hitmonlee
-Tentacruel
-Articuno
-Zapdos
-Moltres
-Marowak (Ghost)
-Scyther and Pinsir (Double Battle)

Team Rocket Minibosses
Note: Team Rocket battles are hidden in each stage, and defeating them all help yield the extended final level of the game.

-Ekans
-Arbok
-Koffing
-Weezing
-Drowzee
-Machop
-Raticate
-Meowth
-Persian

Gym Leaders (Only * Pokemon appear in easier modes in main Lineups)

Brock's Lineup:
Normal: Onix*, Geodude, Rhyhorn
Rematch: Kabutops and Omanyte (Double Battle)

Misty's Lineup:
Normal: Starmie*, Staryu
Rematch: Lapras

Lt. Surge's Lineup:
Normal: Raichu*, Pikachu, Voltorb
Rematch: Electabuzz

Erika's Lineup:
Normal: Gloom*, Tangela, Victreebel
Rematch: Vileplume

Koga's Lineup:
Normal: Weezing*, Muk, Golbat
Rematch: Venomoth

Sabrina's Lineup:
Normal: Kadabra*, Mr Mime and Jynx (Double Battle on harder modes)
Rematch: Abra, Kadabra and Alakazam (Triple Battle on harder modes)

Blaine's Lineup:
Normal: Rapidash*, Arcanine, Ninetales
Rematch: Magmar

Giovanni's Lineup:
Normal: Rhydon*, Kangaskhan, Dugtrio
Rematch: Nidoking and Nidoqueen (Double Battle)

Elite Four (Only * Pokemon appear in easier modes in main Lineups)

Lorelei's Lineup:
Lapras and Jynx (Double Battle)*, Dewgong*, Cloyster, Slowbro

Bruno's Lineup:
Machamp*, Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee (Double Battle), Onix (x2)*

Agatha's Lineup:
Gengar* (x3), Haunter, Ghastly

Lance's Lineup:
Dragonite*, Dragonair (x2)*, Gyarados, Aerodactyl

Champion Blue
Note: Blue's entire lineup is always fought. Blue is also the final boss on easier modes, or if conditions aren't met before he is fought.

Blue's Lineup:
Pidgeot, Rhydon, Alakazam, Gyarados, Exeggutor, Arcanine, Umbreon (Only Gen 2 Pokemon)

Mewtwo

Fulfilling certain conditions before challenging the Elite Four stages unlocks Mewtwo's stages, consisting of the Cerulean Cave and Mewtwo's Palace. The cave contains eight rematches against Gym Leader pokemon (though only the leader of each of their lineups, such as Raichu for Surge, Onix for Brock, etc).

The Palace stage serves only as the final battle stage against Mewtwo in several forms:

Armored Form: Mewtwo fights within armor, making him slower

Chaotic Form: Mewtwo uses his psychic abilities to turn debris and energy into a massive battle form

Final Form: Mewtwo uses no armor or cover, becomes incredibly fast and incredibly aggressive.

Well, that's all for this idea for now. If I ever did do this, I'd wanna do similar things for the other generations, or at least Gen II, which would be incredible, especially with the Kanto battles and the Red battle. For now though, I'll just leave this as is.

However, before I go, a bonus idea!

No More Spearows

Inspired by this image that I did for Lemon's weekly challenge:

[Image: nomorespearows.png]

Basically, a No More Heroes inspired storyline featuring Pokemon characters in an action-based game (2D rather than 3D since that is something I could NEVER do. 2D I can at least fake at worst). I don't have much hammered out yet, so it'll be a lot shorter this time around.

Premise: Pokemon wear clothes, swear a lot and kill each other in a No More Heroes-esque manner. The main character is a Pikachu in a Travis Touchdown get-up who uses a katana he charges with his electricity. In addition to Katana attacks, he can also get powerups to temporarily turn into a more powerful Raichu form, or split into a Plusie and Minun form.

Story: Pikachu basically wants to be #1, and is fighting his way through the Pokemon League matches while unravelling a more sinister plot behind the scenes with every kill he makes. The plot, while inspired in excecution by No More Heroes, is not supposed to mirror it and be semi-original, if uninspired.

Bosses (Not in any order):

-Electabuzz: Uses dual electrified clubs, serving as the parallel to Death Metal (Looks more threatening than the main character and uses a similar, but stronger looking weapon)

-Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, and Hitmontop: A martial arts triple tag-team. Utilizes tagging in and out to recover during their match, but eventually all gang up at once.

-Nidoking: Harsh ruler of a group of female Nidoran. Extremely territorial and violent. When he loses, the Nidoran kill him in retribution

-Nidoqueen: the Nidoking's Nidorina, who stole his Moon Stone necklace after he died, and returned later to be the challenger to Pikachu.

-Pinsir: A mill worker who turned to killing as a profession to make ends meet, and is lethargic about the planned demolition of the mill he used to work at.

-Kabutops: An ancient assassin who lives in the sewers, training lost souls to become violent killers.

-Porygon, Porygon 2 and Porygon Z: A digitized entity who seeks to digitize the rest of the world. Upgrades to stronger forms during battle and is vulnerable to viruses.

-Slowking: A foreign king who wants to take over the mainland by becoming the head of the League

-Delibird: A mad bomber with no regard for innocent life.

-Smeargle: A tormented artist whose art can be brought to life to kill his enemies.

-Tyranitar: A godzilla-like battle against an opponent that is far larger than the main character

-Shedninja: A spirit summoned by a long-dead Ninja master that has lost all meaning in existence, but cannot die, only kill.

-Exploud: A boisterous death-metal artist with a penchant for mass murder during concerts.

-Absol: An otherworldly swordsman with its eyes set on Pikachu's rising to power in particular.

-Deoxys: An alien creature from outer space who has difficulty communicating with others.

-Vespiqueen: The queen of a hive of Beedrills that intends to overrun the city from her underground hive

-Mismagius: A witch character. No backstory yet. xD

-Dusknoir: An evangelist, cultist priest who is surrounded by Jynx. At the end of his battle, he imparts a terrible omen in his dying breath

-Lucario: A parallel to Ryuji from No More Heroes 2, silent type who is incredibly strong.

-Gallade: A swordsman who has never lost a match.

Okay, that's quite enough. Those are just silly ideas that I've thought up over the course of the past few days, I just wanted to get them written down. xD
Pretty clever, mostly Mega Mario. Say I didn't know we could post game ideas... Sad I would've done that a long time ago.
Well, I asked where I should post game ideas I had that I intend to do something with, but at the time the locale was under a different name than "Games Development". Really I probably SHOULDN'T be posting in here without concrete stuff going on, but this is all stuff I've put thought into and I've even run tests in the game-making software I'd use for certain aspects, but at the time I don't have much to post for any of them.

Right now I'm not looking for help on any of them, more or less this is just a place to stockpile my ideas and share them. If interest arose from one suddenly I'd probably dive into it head first, but with work as busy as it is, I haven't been able to delve into any seriously yet. I'm probably leaning towards one of the ones that wouldn't require a whole lot of custom spriting to actually develop the game, although the sprites could be changed to custom ones further down the line, not necessarily with EASE, but they could be theoretically. That being the case, I'm leaning toward the combinations of Megaman and Mario/Pokemon. As for the ones that would require lots of custom, I'd probably lean more towards Clash at Demonhead II, but that would require LOTS of dialogue, which has always been a bit of a pain for me.
Damn... I was hoping to post my game ideas one day.
and now you're unable to?
Pages: 1 2