The VG Resource
Game? - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Community Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-57.html)
+------ Forum: Smash Bros Project (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-31.html)
+------ Thread: Game? (/thread-6767.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Game? - Shadowth117 - 07-05-2009

(07-05-2009, 05:52 PM)sky_blue_wiggler Wrote: The Flat Zone would work, but as Shadowth117 said, the others would just clash. The Yoshi's Island stage is just rearranged SMW tiles T_T

EDIT: And I think there should be customizable events Smile If that's possible...

I may not be the best programmer, but from experience I can tell you that customizable events should be very possible. It would take more work making all the options for event customization.

Oh and if we have to vote for stages we want in I vote for Tabuu's level from SSBB and some obscure levels similar to the trophy tussle ones from SSBM.

Speaking of which, should we have trophies in this game? I don't think so personally.

RE: Game? - MaverickETC - 07-05-2009

(07-05-2009, 06:47 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote:
(07-05-2009, 05:52 PM)sky_blue_wiggler Wrote: The Flat Zone would work, but as Shadowth117 said, the others would just clash. The Yoshi's Island stage is just rearranged SMW tiles T_T

EDIT: And I think there should be customizable events Smile If that's possible...

I may not be the best programmer, but from experience I can tell you that customizable events should be very possible. It would take more work making all the options for event customization.

Oh and if we have to vote for stages we want in I vote for Tabuu's level from SSBB and some obscure levels similar to the trophy tussle ones from SSBM.

Speaking of which, should we have trophies in this game? I don't think so personally.

Customizable events sound like a great idea! The trophy tussle stages and Tabuu level sounds awesome, too.

I'd vote for the first Final Destination, Youngtown from Mother 1/Earthbound 0, and either Sky Pillar from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or Whirl Island from Pokemon Gold/Silver. Also a Super Mario Galaxy stage and a Sonic Unleashed stage or retro stage besides Green Hill Zone (maybe?).

In other news:

[Image: stagebuilder.png]

That's what I got so far...

RE: Game? - tsr moderation staff - 07-06-2009

I know this was kinda dropped last page but I think it would be interesting if the stages were lowpoly 3d and we used sprited stages for the textures. it would probably make the game slow as hell though.

RE: Game? - Shadowth117 - 07-06-2009

(07-06-2009, 08:34 AM)Tuna Unleashed Wrote: I know this was kinda dropped last page but I think it would be interesting if the stages were lowpoly 3d and we used sprited stages for the textures. it would probably make the game slow as hell though.

Low poly 3d? That would be easy and run efficiently, but I don't see why we'd do that. If we used 3d the sprites would look odd because they would probably have to be drawn as textures. If you guys wanna make a full 3d game go ahead, but don't use sprites. If you guys wanna use sprites then make it a full 2d game. It doesn't end up looking very nice though when you mix them too much. Sure you can argue that there's stuff like Paper Mario, but those are sprites designed to stretch like that.

Oh and nice custom stage stuff Maverick.

RE: Game? - blah475 - 07-06-2009

Shouldn't the blocks look like this.
[Image: 22659254.png]

RE: Game? - Negative-Zer0 - 07-06-2009

No in the highest possible form. HELL NO. The game would be a mixed bag if they looked like that. Mostly because this game is NOT 3D

RE: Game? - tsr moderation staff - 07-06-2009

I see that you haven't played strider 2.

RE: Game? - blah475 - 07-06-2009

(07-06-2009, 03:25 PM)clap12 Wrote: No in the highest possible form. HELL NO. The game would be a mixed bag if they looked like that. Mostly because this game is NOT 3D

But if they weren't like that, one foot on some characters would be flying, and that'd just look cheesey.

(07-06-2009, 06:22 PM)blah475 Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 03:25 PM)clap12 Wrote: No in the highest possible form. HELL NO. The game would be a mixed bag if they looked like that. Mostly because this game is NOT 3D

But if they weren't like that, one foot on some characters would be flying, and that'd just look cheesey.

Which is why the masks for those characters would cut off a line or two of pixels higher than the sprite like this. Assume the black is Sonic's collision mask and the red is the ground. [Image: ssbcolexample.png]

This is very simple to program and is commonly used to prevent a sprite like this from looking like its floating.

RE: Game? - D2S-Speed - 07-06-2009

(07-06-2009, 06:58 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote:

Which is why the masks for those characters would cut off a line or two of pixels higher than the sprite like this. Assume the black is Sonic's collision mask and the red is the ground. [Image: ssbcolexample.png]

This is very simple to program and is commonly used to prevent a sprite like this from looking like its floating.

Ahhh I see what you mean by that anyway.....I was wondering will there be an adventure mode in this if so the only way I can possibly help out is to make some cutscene's like the Subspace Emissary, thing is I just won't do anything unless I can get an idea of what to make the cutscene about so just give me you opinion about and well see what I do from everyone's point of view!

(07-06-2009, 07:36 PM)The Master Sonic Brawler Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 06:58 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote:

Ahhh I see what you mean by that anyway.....I was wondering will there be an adventure mode in this if so the only way I can possibly help out is to make some cutscene's like the Subspace Emissary, thing is I just won't do anything unless I can get an idea of what to make the cutscene about so just give me you opinion about and well see what I do from everyone's point of view!

You're asking like I'm the one making the engine. I'm just giving a good guess based on what I know. I think it was said earlier that there would be an adventure mode, but it would be more like melee's so I don't know that there will be any cutscenes. If there are any though they should be 2d and for simplicity's sake made from recorded key presses or something. That would save the trouble of making a bunch of different videos for each character.

RE: Game? - Runouw - 07-09-2009

The game will probably remain completely 2d for everything. Except the menu which is slightly 3d. Anyway, I will update in a few days adding in Squirtle and Mr. Game and Watch as playable characters. Team Mode will be working as well as some other features like the camera being improved.
I'm going to start on other modes like Classic, Adventure, and Target Test as soon as I finish VS mode.
Stage builder is definitely going in, I've made a stage builder before with codes you can copy and paste to share with other people, so I think I'm going to use a similar feature.
As for online, I cannot guarantee that it will be any better than Brawls online (in terms of lag or anything) In my last attempt I got it working pretty good but there was tremendous lag when playing with people in different States or Countries.

RE: Game? - Ton - 07-09-2009

Wow, that sounds pretty great. Much more than what I thought an engine could do. Can't wait. Big Grin

RE: Game? - Dazz - 07-11-2009

It'd be pretty cool to have the AI coded for VS before you code any other modes first, as the VS. mode will probably be the most used.

Also, customisable controls would be very cool, as I'd like to play using a gamepad.

RE: Game? - darksoulzero - 07-11-2009

(07-06-2009, 09:36 AM)Shadowth117 Wrote:
(07-06-2009, 08:34 AM)Tuna Unleashed Wrote: I know this was kinda dropped last page but I think it would be interesting if the stages were lowpoly 3d and we used sprited stages for the textures. it would probably make the game slow as hell though.

Low poly 3d? That would be easy and run efficiently, but I don't see why we'd do that. If we used 3d the sprites would look odd because they would probably have to be drawn as textures. If you guys wanna make a full 3d game go ahead, but don't use sprites. If you guys wanna use sprites then make it a full 2d game. It doesn't end up looking very nice though when you mix them too much. Sure you can argue that there's stuff like Paper Mario, but those are sprites designed to stretch like that.

Oh and nice custom stage stuff Maverick.

I was wondering wouldn't the sprites in a 2.5d-3d game work if they were set up like Sonic Battle?
It uses sprites but you can stand on or behind things and you and move in 3d