The VG Resource
VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: Old (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-148.html)
+---- Forum: Completed Competitions (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-144.html)
+---- Thread: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors (/thread-27512.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - Garamonde - 08-02-2015

They have to be a series of 8 colors in a row, such as this or this. That's why it's a challenge finding a set of colors that works. You can't just hand pick them even if they're within a certain list. That probably should have been stated in the competition's guidelines...

Should have read the guidelines more closely...

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - StarSock64 - 08-02-2015

Quote:by choosing a sequence of eight consecutive colors (no other colors in between!)

It was, though.

I can't really participate in the sprite-off, so I'm going to forfeit. I think gors deserves it more anyway and he was beating me before the votes got reset too

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - SageHarpuiaJDJ - 08-02-2015

Yeah I can confirm it as well.

Spoilered for sized.

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - StarSock64 - 08-02-2015

Confirm..what exactly? It looks like you have Dr. Space's palette in there, but we're talking about captainkakarot, who did not pick eight consecutive colors...

My "it was" was referring to jetters saying that the guidelines didn't include the rules

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - Omega - 08-02-2015

(08-01-2015, 08:29 PM)Vipershark Wrote: so many people voted for one entry as opposed to the others. I definitely want the competition to be fair but I don't consider it very fair to have everyone in the competition receive a badge on the same level as those who could/would have won had the votes been less one-sided.

What's wrong with that through?
I've entered one a many Mario fan game galaxy sprite combos that did something like that with the same badge system, if there were multiple 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners they'd all get a badge regardless.

If you're worried a two-way 1st place would happen and how they go about with the next sprite compo, just ask the winners whether one of them wants to make a compo, or if they can talk together about deciding on one.

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - kidicarus29 - 08-02-2015

(08-02-2015, 11:13 AM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: They have to be a series of 8 colors in a row, such as this or this. That's why it's a challenge finding a set of colors that works. You can't just hand pick them even if they're within a certain list. That probably should have been stated in the competition's guidelines...

Should have read the guidelines more closely...

I think it could have been stated a bit more clearly. I'm glad I didn't enter, because when I was first picking color it wasn't clear to me that the colors had to be in a row on the list. Either way, the DQ is unfortunate.

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - Vipershark - 08-02-2015

I'm not really sure how it wasn't stated clearly.
Quote:This is how it works:
  • Create a palette of 8 colors (no less, no more) by choosing a sequence of eight consecutive colors (no other colors in between!) on Wikipedia's list of colors: A-F, G-M, N-Z
That's it! To clear up possible confusion, here's an example of a valid palette (screenshot from Wikipedia):
[Image: p0YUjlQ.png]
The guidelines very plainly say to use eight consecutive colors and even follows that up with the "(no colors in between!)" and an example image that shows what a valid palette would be.
All of the other entries picked up on that just fine so I'm sorry but that's on you, man.

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - SageHarpuiaJDJ - 08-02-2015

(08-02-2015, 01:40 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: Confirm..what exactly? It looks like you have Dr. Space's palette in there, but we're talking about captainkakarot, who did not pick eight consecutive colors...

My "it was" was referring to jetters saying that the guidelines didn't include the rules

Oh...

My bad.

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - SchAlternate - 08-03-2015

Wow, I was not expecting to have that much of an advantage.

Yikes. Um, oops? Next time I won't overdo it? I guess...?

... I'm really not sure how to feel about that.

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - StarSock64 - 08-03-2015

The whole point of a competition is to do your best and make ambitious pieces

Talking like that is just kind of dickish, don't act embarrassed over doing what you were supposed to do as if you owe it to the other competitors to go easy on them

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - Vipershark - 08-03-2015

Celebrate your victory, dude. You did a great job and got the votes to show for it. The problem wasn't that you got "too many votes" or "had too much of an advantage".

It's not your fault, man. The whole point was to make the best piece you could and you got the votes to show for it.
Actually, it's not anybody's "fault". This was just a freak occurance that caused some unusual results, that's all.

RE: VOTING THREAD: List of Colors - kidicarus29 - 08-03-2015

(08-03-2015, 12:36 AM)SchAlternate Wrote: Wow, I was not expecting to have that much of an advantage.

Yikes. Um, oops? Next time I won't overdo it? I guess...?

... I'm really not sure how to feel about that.

Like the others are saying, don't make it a big deal. To be honest, yours wasn't too far ahead of a few other entries. The main reason you attracted so many votes are for the size, style, and theme of your piece.

Zero is a popular Megaman character who has a great design, and looks very cool. The pose he is in in your piece only accentuates this, as he's attacking and has an outstretched hand that is outlined and seems to leap out from the screen at anyone scrolling by.

The size definitely helps makes the piece even more noticeable, and the style, again, accentuates the character. So, over all, it appealed more because of how cool it looks. The actual pixel technique is almost lost at such a size, to the point that it does matter, but obviously not as much as a piece that is smaller.

Regardless, it attracted the most votes and I can't shirk that accomplishment at all. Good job!