Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Who are you voting for?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Gorsal - Peacock Ostrich
19.44%
7 19.44%
SchAlternate - Zero
47.22%
17 47.22%
Joxon - Bob-Omb & Banzai Bill
2.78%
1 2.78%
Captainkakarot64 - IT'S NO USE
11.11%
4 11.11%
Quirby64 - Sonic & Trollmari
2.78%
1 2.78%
StarSock64 - Black☆Star
13.89%
5 13.89%
Dr. Space - Abstract Glass
2.78%
1 2.78%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

VOTING THREAD: List of Colors
Okay, it's voting time! In this competition you'll be voting for the composition you think is best, but you'll also be voting for best palette selection/usage! Who had the best eye for choosing colors and then putting those colors to use?

Good luck, everyone! Voting will last until the end of the month.

Gorsal
[Image: tumblr_nreswaE4G71ts85nto1_400.png]
[Image: 0dfb87e052ccf3d210d0f93ab8f0da10.png]

SchAlternate
[Image: zero_by_schalternate-d91gjmv.png]
[Image: shallenge.png]

Joxon
[Image: hIwwUh1.png] [Image: dOv9d7w.png]
[Image: OGrkrIZ.png]

Captainkakarot64
[Image: QSsXIZv.png]
[Image: a0neZfY.png]

Quirby64
[Image: sanicmarifinale_by_quirbstheepic-d9283j1.png]
[Image: screenshot___07072015___12_07_06_pm_by_q...90bgzi.png]

StarSock64
[Image: W1Z7MJL.png]

Z- ...uh Dr. Space
[Image: DWDADUX.png]
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Shade
Uhh, SchAlternate made that Zero, not Omega lol. Edited poll and OP.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Oop! My bad. I was working on this at like 5am and had one of the other voting threads open (that Omega took part in) and got confused.
Sorry!
Thanked by: Omega
Voted for IT'S NO USE
Thanked by: captainkakarot64
I think it would be interesting if there were size-related contests.

While I don't think it's the definitive factor due to the fact that it is a great pixel as a whole, SchAlternate's artwork seems a bit more impressive than the others because of its size. It is also just more noticeable and memorable.

I think size-restricted contests would be a great challenge, especially when restricted to very small proportions. Having a sort of Minecraft-esque tileset contest would be cool as well.

Other than my suggestions, I can't really say much else besides a hearty "great job!" to all of the entrants. Great job!
Thanked by: SchAlternate
If you have an idea for a compo or would like to run your own, feel free to PM me and we can set that up.
Literally only one person (aside from Joxon as previously mentioned) has done so so far.
If you want better compos, tell me what you want to see.
Thanked by:
I like no usage. It looks amazing.
Thanked by:
Today is the last day to vote, everyone! Make sure you get your vote in before the competition ends.
Thanked by:
A couple of things came to my attention in the past few days that makes me think this vote is bunk, and I think it's worth questioning the way these competitions are run

Vipershark doesn't want to give badges to everyone who participated; he only wants to give them to four competitors, which is what normally happens in these compos. However, the way the votes were set up earlier today meant that there were ties, and therefore there was a first place, multiple second or third places, and everyone else in the competition got fourth place with one vote.

He expressly doesn't want to give badges to an alt (zadaben), and he personally doesn't think that giving out badges to everyone is very fair when so many votes were pooled into one entry (schalternate's). That means he had to do something about the ties, and I really don't agree with his methods.

Basically, he kept telling me he was planning on using his vote to break a tie if he could. This meant that, if say, me or captainkakarot were left with a two-way tie, he was going to use his vote to break the tie between us so that it would solve his problem.

What's wrong with that? Well, he doesn't think either of our entries was the best.
I don't think that he should use his vote for anything but the entry he truly thinks deserves the #1 spot. A community manager using their vote to change the way the badges are distributed is manipulative and doesn't reflect a true competitive result.

Then he came into one of the skype chats today and basically asked people to break the tie for him, which is also pretty manipulative, especially when his post says the vote was supposed to end yesterday.

Instead of letting the vote run its natural course and finding an alternative solution to breaking the ties, he basically stuck his hand too far into the competition for my taste. I'm not interested in participating in compos that do this kind of thing, so I'm probably not going to participate anymore.

If nobody else cares then that's fine, but I thought it might be possible that someone does, and I thought the competitors deserved to know what was going on behind the scenes. I know this compo isn't a big deal, but I don't think votes should be played like a game when people put their effort into these entries.
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by:
Okay, so with that posted, I'd like to say my two cents as well so that everything is on the table.

The voting period for this compo left me in a pretty confusing situation. The voting table currently shows different numbers than the amount of people that are listed, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Basically, the votes were so heavily skewed in favor of SchAlternate that there ended up being multiple ties between the entire board, which would have resulted in everyone on the table ending up in the silver/bronze/runner-up spot, thereby technically having everyone in the competition win by default simply because so many people voted for one entry as opposed to the others. I definitely want the competition to be fair but I don't consider it very fair to have everyone in the competition receive a badge on the same level as those who could/would have won had the votes been less one-sided.

Is it really okay to just give the winning prizes to people for simply finishing an entry rather than actually beating the competition? Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way trying to call anyone's work worse than anyone else's but I know if I were in a competition and I poured everything I had into some artwork and someone else ended up tying with me based on a technicality rather than an actual match of skill I'd be pretty pissed off.
Ant that's where my whole problem came from. As the competition manager it's my job to resolve issues as far as ties, but how do I resolve a situation where essentially everyone except the first place entry is tied?
Last night when I got home was to be the deadline for the poll. Had I closed it last night, my vote would have been for Gorsal before ending the poll, leaving the results as what you currently see now: SchAlternate in first, a 3 way tie for second, and a three way tie for third of entries with one vote each.
This would have resulted in three second place winners, three third place winners, and no runner-up, which doesn't really seem all that fair to me in a competition of spriting skill.

Because of this, I decided to hold my vote and leave the poll open overnight and while I was at work today, hoping that somebody else would vote to tip the scales in someone's favor and break the tie. That didn't happen (actually I think SchAlternate got even more votes so lol) so I was still stuck in the same hole. I asked StarSock64 for advice because I wasn't sure what to do. As you can see above, we didn't exactly agree with each other on what's considered fair so I went and asked some other users (Jetters, Kosheh, Keychain, Sketchasaurus and Rhymey) what I should do. Long story short, I ended up asking them to vote for someone to help break the tie so that the competition wouldn't be entirely one sided.

I'd like to make it very clear that I did NOT tell them who to vote for; that was on them, but I did ask them to break the tie, yes. No matter who they voted for (as long as it wasn't SchAlternate, he was winning anyway), that would help tip the scale.
Well, it ended up that Gorsal got those votes, leaving me still with a two way tie for third place and the runner-up spot, and I was left with a choice between Captainkakarot64 and StarSock64. Okay, I didn't vote last night and still had my vote, so now I could use it to break the tie for the entry I thought was best, right? There was now a definitive second place and I was still going to vote for the entry that I thought was best, though it was within the bounds that I was voting for the better of the two that were tied.

StarSock disagreed with this, and she thinks that if you're going to vote for the best entry you should vote for the best entry out of ALL of them, regardless of a tie. In other words, she didn't think I should vote for either of their entries (therefore not breaking the tie) because I didn't believe that either of them were the best overall entry, as she said above.
I believe that as the competition manager, not only do I have the right to vote for whoever I want (as does anyone who's voting, of course,) but also that in the event of a tie, it's my job to resolve that tie. Is it really "manipulating votes" to vote for anyone I want (even to break a tie) if my vote is still unbiased for the entry I think is better and I'm not actually screwing with anyone else's votes? I don't believe it is, and this is where we disagree. I can understand where she's coming from that people should vote for the entry they think overall is best but for me in particular, since I'm running the compo, I also have the responsibility to fix voting issues when they arise... right?

Anyway, very long story short, StarSock and I (and the other previously mentioned users) talked about it for a while and came to a solution that I think can solve the problem. I've reverted the votes to where they would have been last night had the poll ended naturally, with my vote for Gorsal being put in. This now results in SchAlternate taking first, with a tie for the 2nd, 3rd, and runner-up positions.

In order to break the tie, we're going to have a 3-way sprite-off between Gorsal, Captainkakarot64, and Starsock64 with another poll at the end to determine what the final placement will be.
More details on that later.

Finally, I'd like to apologize if my way of trying to fix the situation is considered unfair. I make my fair (haw) share of mistakes and I can understand how asking people to help break a tie for me rather than voting naturally for who they want can be considered unfair or manipulative. I wasn't shooting for any kind of vote fixing in any direction and was simply looking for a way to solve the issue with other people actually voting as opposed to just forcing some kind of outcome, which would be REALLY manipulative and unfair.
I'll leave this thread open for a while so you guys can chime in if you want while we hammer out the details for what to do next.

Sorry about screwing things up, everyone.
(08-01-2015, 08:29 PM)Vipershark Wrote: StarSock disagreed with this, and she thinks that if you're going to vote for the best entry you should vote for the best entry out of ALL of them, regardless of a tie. In other words, she didn't think I should vote for either of their entries (therefore not breaking the tie) because I didn't believe that either of them were the best overall entry, as she said above.
I believe that as the competition manager, not only do I have the right to vote for whoever I want (as does anyone who's voting, of course,) but also that in the event of a tie, it's my job to resolve that tie. Is it really "manipulating votes" to vote for anyone I want (even to break a tie) if my vote is still unbiased for the entry I think is better and I'm not actually screwing with anyone else's votes? I don't believe it is, and this is where we disagree. I can understand where she's coming from that people should vote for the entry they think overall is best but for me in particular, since I'm running the compo, I also have the responsibility to fix voting issues when they arise... right?

I think an average voter can do whatever they want to do and vote for any reason they want to. Breaking ties, voting for giggles, voting for the best, whatever.

But I think a compo manager should never use their vote to change the way rewards are distributed and how people place in the final results, which is exactly what you were aiming to do

That completely goes against the spirit of the competition. "Fixing the voting issues" should be done fairly, and I really don't think that something as artificial as "gee I don't want a tie because I can't figure out how to distribute the prizes, let me just use my vote as a tool to fix it" is fair and it renders the results kind of meaningless.

Sure you're voting for the "better of the two," but you shouldn't be voting for someone you wouldn't normally vote for in the first place, for something as stupid as fixing YOUR problem. The artists' entries and how they place should have nothing to do with YOUR problems with the ties

You already brought up the sprite-off before any of this even happened, so you should have just done that in the first place
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by: Tellis
Im sorry if im too late to barge in, but i just realized that Captainkakarot64 is breaking the rules, as s/he's using colors from the As, Cs, and Rs.
...and i probably screwed up the votes even more because of this
c e r t i f i e d   m e m e l o r d .
>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM0jv_z...IciomDGEmQ << you should check this out
WELP

No wonder they worked so well together.
Just kill me now

Okay sorry Captainkakarot but I'm gonna have to disqualify you.
Jeez I didn't even notice
Thanked by:
Okay there are now two sprite-offs.
Gorsal vs. StarSock64 for Silver and Bronze and Joxon vs. Quirby64 for the runner-up.
Thanked by:
How am I breaking the rules? I used only 8 colors from the A-F and N-Z list and I didn't use transparency. What's wrong with that?
Thanked by: