The VG Resource
Pokémon Model Ripping Project - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: The Resources (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-109.html)
+--- Forum: The Models Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-111.html)
+---- Forum: Project Organization (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-119.html)
+---- Thread: Pokémon Model Ripping Project (/thread-25872.html)

RE: Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project - Random Talking Bush - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 02:03 AM)fridge225 Wrote: I have done some quick tests using your ORAS script RTB using Lopunny and Mega Lopunny BCH files. Lopunny imports the correct model but the weightings seem to be placed in wrongs groups with such as some ears holding arms and things, whilst some groups are just empty. Mega Lopunny has an error importing saying the vertex index in face is out of range [8,7,6]. This causes only about 1/3 of the model to import, however what is imported seems to be weighted almost perfectly. I hope you can fix these Scripts soon RTB, keep up the good work. I haven't tried the script with XY models as I don't have the XY BCHs.
Yeah, that would be because the supposed "vertex flags" I found earlier aren't exactly what they're supposed to be -- two models with the same flags have different setups for some reason. I'll continue researching that, hopefully I can finally figure that out soon and have a flawless importer.

I did fix Mega Lopunny, though, that one will now import correctly if you re-download the script. Lopunny itself doesn't work because of a different reason that I'll also have to look into fixing (for both its X/Y and OR/AS models). Fix one thing, break three others, it seems...

(EDIT: Aaaand I speak too soon, by rewriting some arguably-sloppy parts of the script, I got Lopunny to import correctly now.)
(EDIT 2: And fixed the Cosplay Pikachus now, too.)
(EDIT 3: Aaaaaaaaaaand I fixed some more sloppy coding. Whoops.)
(EDIT 4: ahfdfhdadsgkjsfhdshfk Fixed for sure this time.)

(03-08-2015, 09:03 PM)MandL27 Wrote: Couple questions about this ripping project:
1: As for requests, what about the fully evolved Unova starters and/or Haxorus?
2: For the textures, how hard would it be for the end user (read: anyone not doing ripping/uploading) to edit the textures to remove the outlines? Outside of a cel-shaded environment, they're kinda unfitting.
1. Perhaps in the next batch, I don't have them planned for the current double-batch.
2. Well, the textures are mostly flat-shaded, so it might not actually be too hard to do so. Using the "shadow maps" / "2" textures as an inverse on the main textures should help cut down the shading, making it easier to edit for that kind of thing.

RE: Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project - MandL27 - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 10:22 AM)Random Talking Bush Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 02:03 AM)fridge225 Wrote: I have done some quick tests using your ORAS script RTB using Lopunny and Mega Lopunny BCH files. Lopunny imports the correct model but the weightings seem to be placed in wrongs groups with such as some ears holding arms and things, whilst some groups are just empty. Mega Lopunny has an error importing saying the vertex index in face is out of range [8,7,6]. This causes only about 1/3 of the model to import, however what is imported seems to be weighted almost perfectly. I hope you can fix these Scripts soon RTB, keep up the good work. I haven't tried the script with XY models as I don't have the XY BCHs.
Yeah, that would be because the supposed "vertex flags" I found earlier aren't exactly what they're supposed to be -- two models with the same flags have different setups for some reason. I'll continue researching that, hopefully I can finally figure that out soon and have a flawless importer.

I did fix Mega Lopunny, though, that one will now import correctly if you re-download the script. Lopunny itself doesn't work because of a different reason that I'll also have to look into fixing (for both its X/Y and OR/AS models). Fix one thing, break three others, it seems...

(EDIT: Aaaand I speak too soon, by rewriting some arguably-sloppy parts of the script, I got Lopunny to import correctly now.)
(EDIT 2: And fixed the Cosplay Pikachus now, too.)

(03-08-2015, 09:03 PM)MandL27 Wrote: Couple questions about this ripping project:
1: As for requests, what about the fully evolved Unova starters and/or Haxorus?
2: For the textures, how hard would it be for the end user (read: anyone not doing ripping/uploading) to edit the textures to remove the outlines? Outside of a cel-shaded environment, they're kinda unfitting.
1. Perhaps in the next batch, I don't have them planned for the current double-batch.
2. Well, the textures are mostly flat-shaded, so it might not actually be too hard to do so. Using the "shadow maps" / "2" textures as an inverse on the main textures should help cut down the shading, making it easier to edit for that kind of thing.

1: Cool. Also, where's Mega Gallade?
2: But that doesn't fix the fact that there are black lines cutting across various textures.

RE: Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project - The 100 Mega Shock! - 03-09-2015

It depends how much effort you want to put into getting good results.

With just a steady hand and copy of Inkscape or even the path tool in Photoshop you could trace over the shapes and fill them in with the matching colours, also get much higher resolution textures if you want to remake the whole thing.

Though, then you have to deal with the baked-in shadows, either remove them entirely and let your renderer deal with the model's lighting or bake in your own more realistic AO map for a better (and again, high res) result. Finally, there's also parts that use dark lines to define features on the mesh - like Squirtle's shell, Gardevoir's hair, or most Pokemon's eyes and mouths - that you'd have to repaint them with less stark lines or go in and make large geometry edits so that the features aren't lost completely.

(03-09-2015, 12:54 PM)The 100 Mega Shock! Wrote: It depends how much effort you want to put into getting good results.

With just a steady hand and copy of Inkscape or even the path tool in Photoshop you could trace over the shapes and fill them in with the matching colours, also get much higher resolution textures if you want to remake the whole thing.

Though, then you have to deal with the baked-in shadows, either remove them entirely and let your renderer deal with the model's lighting or bake in your own more realistic AO map for a better (and again, high res) result. Finally, there's also parts that use dark lines to define features on the mesh - like Squirtle's shell, Gardevoir's hair, or most Pokemon's eyes and mouths - that you'd have to repaint them with less stark lines or go in and make large geometry edits so that the features aren't lost completely.

Baked-in shadows don't bother me as much as baked-in cel shading. And I could theoretically use normal maps, specular maps, or just redraw the lines to not be solid black (baking on either of the above) to keep those details intact. Pokedex 3D Pro did that.

They did pretty much bake parts of the cel-shading in

(03-09-2015, 01:29 PM)The 100 Mega Shock! Wrote: They did pretty much bake parts of the cel-shading in

That's my point! That's what I've been referring to the entire time!

RE: Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project - Random Talking Bush - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 01:46 PM)MandL27 Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 01:29 PM)The 100 Mega Shock! Wrote: They did pretty much bake parts of the cel-shading in

Then that would go back to what I had mentioned in an earlier post about how to remove it.

(03-09-2015, 01:52 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote:

Then that would go back to what I had mentioned in an earlier post about how to remove it.

That shows how to solve the shading, but not the outlines. Which is what I'm referring to by "baked-in cel shading."

RE: Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project - DJTHED - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 01:46 PM)MandL27 Wrote: That shows how to solve the shading, but not the outlines. Which is what I'm referring to by "baked-in cel shading."

That's not cell shading. It's just outlines. Like The 100 Mega Shock! said earlier, you'd have to remove the outlines or tone the outlines down manually.

(03-09-2015, 01:52 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote:

Speaking of that, do some pokemon lack a texture to remove their baked in shading? Several Pokemon I've downloaded do not include one, like several of the eeveelutions.

What I mean is, both the hard shadows and the outlines are painted on the textures to enhance the cel-shader, so there'd be the need to go over the shapes with flat fills (or use the shadow map but that leaves a few shadows in place for extra dark areas) and draw softer lines/shading in areas like eyes and mouths.

RE: Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project - kutaras - 03-09-2015

Keep up the good work RTB!
This update fixed almost 90% of the model I used, Aipom still have some problems with the weight around the ears.

RE: Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project - DecaTilde - 03-10-2015

Awww, I was going to request Unova's legendary dragon trio. Oh, well. I guess I can make do with another request now that Frogadier's been submitted. I'd like to request Entei, Tornadus and Thundurus (both Incarnate and Therian Forms) next.

RE: Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project - Random Talking Bush - 03-10-2015

Oh boy~ Script v3.0 is working great so far -- I was able to import everything from Bulbasaur to Diglett so far without any of them glitching out, and some of the formerly-broken ones like Mega Venusaur, Jirachi and Xerneas actually import correctly without needing to tweak a zillion things now. I think those byte sets I found might've been the key! Cute

...I'll test up to the end of the 1st Generation models tomorrow, and then I'll upload a newer revision.

(03-10-2015, 01:26 AM)LDEJRuff Wrote: Awww, I was going to request Unova's legendary dragon trio. Oh, well. I guess I can make do with another request now that Frogadier's been submitted. I'd like to request Entei, Tornadus and Thundurus (both Incarnate and Therian Forms) next.
I already finished Entei earlier, and it'll be in the next mega-batch I upload.

RE: Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project - webik150 - 03-10-2015

Thank you SO much for all of this. I haven't checked this for a long time, so I might be a little bit late, but thank you for the starters, looking forward to bulbasaur.

RE: Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS Model Ripping Project - Random Talking Bush - 03-10-2015

THERE. New scripts. Third time's the charm? This should fix those rigging problems once and for bien. If anything doesn't import, please tell me as I'm pretty sure I've got everything else working 100% now -- I've tested Pokémon #001-151 and a handful of others and there seem to be absolutely no issues now.
Except for Mega Diancie and Hoopa Unbound but that's because of another problem involving the vertex counts which I'll be fixing up next time.