The VG Resource
I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) (/thread-23265.html)

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - SchAlternate - 11-11-2013

(11-11-2013, 04:13 PM)Diogalesu Wrote: I don't know, seems more like a fat capsule rather than a redesign.

There's not really an item page to tell us anything. So it's kind of hard to say. At the same time we can't really tell anything before something is confirmed or until the game is released.
From Miiverse:
"Pic of the day. Here are the familiar capsules--these guys deserve a prize for being in every single game. We gave them a cute redesign by shortening their length a bit."

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - BullockDS - 11-11-2013

I personally don't mind the squished redesign of the Capsule. The smaller shape and the push-button on top just further remind me of Dynocaps from Dragonball, like Nicktendo pointed out. And that's neat.

Now, while they're in the mood to make changes to items, I really hope that either
a)they make the Screw Attack bigger a la Melee, and make it a throwable in lieu of a badge (seriously, losing the option to throw it made it less useful in Brawl IMO)
b)if they'd rather keep the Screw Attack as a badge, at least make it and the Motion-Sensor Bomb not look so goddamn similar from a glance (i.e. not make the Motion-Sensor Bomb purple again; gray with green lights worked fine)

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Kriven - 11-11-2013

I had a huge issue with the visibility of badge items in Brawl, as well as few other things such as Deku Nuts. Those need to be puffed up a bit.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Phantom Killah - 11-11-2013

(11-11-2013, 07:01 PM)BullockDS Wrote: I personally don't mind the squished redesign of the Capsule

The way you phrased that makes it sound like there are actually people that are upset about this.

I'm imagining an entire community dedicated to smash bros. capsules just losing their shit

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - [robo9] - 11-12-2013

The redesign won't affect me too much because items are banned in comp, but I like it. Some things need a bit of sprucing up after 3 games of being the same

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Koopaul - 11-12-2013

People who don't play with items are missing a good portion of the competition. Yeah, I said competition. You can play competitively with items, I do it all the time.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Kriven - 11-12-2013

I honestly think Smash is even more competetive with chance factors on. The game is about adapating. It's skill-hindering things like tripping that remove a competetive angle.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Koopaul - 11-12-2013

Yeah stuff you can't take advantage of like tripping is dumb. Also unavoidable stage hazards like in Wario's stage where the rewards (like everyone turning invincible) can benefit no one. I like stage hazards you can adapt and use to your advantage, like the Bulborb in the Pikmin stage. You can throw your opponents into his mouth. Or the fish in the Ice Climber stage. The problem with tripping and the Wario stage is that there is no chance to react or learn from them.

There's skill in chaos, but if you can't take advantage of that chaos than it's not a competitive element at all.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Gwen - 11-12-2013

(11-11-2013, 11:55 PM)Phantom K Wrote:
(11-11-2013, 07:01 PM)BullockDS Wrote: I personally don't mind the squished redesign of the Capsule

The way you phrased that makes it sound like there are actually people that are upset about this.

I'm imagining an entire community dedicated to smash bros. capsules just losing their shit
[Image: Ee7ziOg.png]

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - [robo9] - 11-12-2013

Skill in chaos? Bull. One of the main reasons items are banned because they're OP as shit or pretty useless. A bomb that takes up half the screen? A rapid fire rocket cannon that has both good range and damage? A hammer that kills anyone who gets close? Ever have a crate kill you because it spawned right in front of you in the middle of an attack and exploded? Try hitting someone who isn't terrible with a warp star. It won't happen. An almost invisible mine that could kill at low percentage by simply being there? A star that makes you goddamn invincible? Or how about a cloaking device that virtually does the same thing /and/ makes you invincible. Or how about a bumper that kills anyone over 50%? Mushrooms that either make someone a killing machine or death fodder? Anyone with a linear recovery becomes gimped with all of the fast projectiles you have at your disposal by throwing weapons. Shells are very fast and hit as hard as a fully charged Samus shot. Anything bomb hit as hard as an attack that takes ten seconds to charge before it goes. Curry gives you a giant wall of fire that eats up shields and can rack up a stupid amount if damage. The fan can trap you even with good DI.A lot of the Pokemon are OP, taking up half the screen with easy to kill moves. Assist Trophies are the same, although while they usually don't take up half the screen they home in, which makes them almost impossible to avoid on maps in competitive. Most Melee battles don't last too longer over 100%, so anyone with half a brain could understand why Hearts are a bad idea. Soccer balls may be hard to aim, but it's possible and becomes a super fast death machine projectile. With items on, gameplay becomes centered around the items rather than fighting itself and luck. I've yet to see any competitive fighting game centered around luck. That's mainly because luck is competetive. Luck doesn't take skill. There's no skill in chaos or overpowered weapons. It's bullshit. And if my rambling don't convince you, here's a video:

But the problem is is that I severely doubt either if you two have competitive experience, or your tunes would quickly change.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Gwen - 11-12-2013

Don't know about them, but I have played in some competitive settings, and even when just playing with friends, they're all extremely good at Super Smash Bros; Not only do we still use items, but it also still remains incredibly competitive, and whoever wins is usually the person who played the best, not the person who tried using the items ineffectively. If you can't adapt to items while playing, maybe you're just not up to snuff, and it's not that items are OP spam vehicles.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Terminal Devastation - 11-12-2013

(11-12-2013, 10:05 AM)[robo9] Wrote: Skill in chaos? Bull. One of the main reasons items are banned because they're OP as shit or pretty useless. A bomb that takes up half the screen? A rapid fire rocket cannon that has both good range and damage? A hammer that kills anyone who gets close? Ever have a crate kill you because it spawned right in front of you in the middle of an attack and exploded? Try hitting someone who isn't terrible with a warp star. It won't happen. An almost invisible mine that could kill at low percentage by simply being there? A star that makes you goddamn invincible? Or how about a cloaking device that virtually does the same thing /and/ makes you invincible. Or how about a bumper that kills anyone over 50%? Mushrooms that either make someone a killing machine or death fodder? Anyone with a linear recovery becomes gimped with all of the fast projectiles you have at your disposal by throwing weapons. Shells are very fast and hit as hard as a fully charged Samus shot. Anything bomb hit as hard as an attack that takes ten seconds to charge before it goes. Curry gives you a giant wall of fire that eats up shields and can rack up a stupid amount if damage. The fan can trap you even with good DI.A lot of the Pokemon are OP, taking up half the screen with easy to kill moves. Assist Trophies are the same, although while they usually don't take up half the screen they home in, which makes them almost impossible to avoid on maps in competitive. Most Melee battles don't last too longer over 100%, so anyone with half a brain could understand why Hearts are a bad idea. Soccer balls may be hard to aim, but it's possible and becomes a super fast death machine projectile. With items on, gameplay becomes centered around the items rather than fighting itself and luck. I've yet to see any competitive fighting game centered around luck. That's mainly because luck is competetive. Luck doesn't take skill. There's no skill in chaos or overpowered weapons. It's bullshit. And if my rambling don't convince you, here's a video:

Everyone should know that the best players just don't give a crap one way or the other. They'll STILL dominate.

A lot of people say items are banned because they are "too random" or "too OP" but the fact of the matter is, it just takes less time to determine skill without them on.

A single match without items is all you need to determine who's the best without items.

You need multiple matchs WITH items to determine if someone is just lucky or if there's combination of raw character skill combined with high adaptibility to a random element.

Also, a good 75% of the items are a variation of a character skill. If you can deal with most characters, you can deal with most items.

I mean really, how is the sudden appearance of an item, any worse than an opponent suddenly changing his playing style. You adapt, you move on.

Bottom line: If you need items to win consistantly, you're bad. If you need NO items to win consistantly you're bad.

Quote:But the problem is is that I severely doubt either if you two have competitive experience, or your tunes would quickly change.
And this line is bull. You know why it is bull? Because competitions don't use items. If you focus SOLELY on no item training, items are going to wreck your game. It's like only learning half a martial art really well. Sure you'll be really really good in situations where only that half will be used... but when the other is used? Good luck winning.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - SchAlternate - 11-12-2013

(11-12-2013, 10:54 AM)Terminal Devastation Wrote: Bottom line: If you need items to win consistantly, you're bad. If you need NO items to win consistantly you're bad.
A better way to phrase that would be:
"Bottom line: If you need items to win consistantly, you're bad. If you need items to not be present during the match to win consistantly you're bad."

Because saying that "not needing items makes you bad" RIGHT AFTER saying "needing items to win makes you bad" makes it rather confusing.

Just sayin'. Tongue

To be quite honest, I don't give a damn whether items are on or not, I can win and have fun with either (just as long as those fucking Deku Nuts are set off, I can't seem to stop hitting one by freak accident and killing myself because of how tiny they are)

The items aren't banned because "it takes longer to determine who's better." That's silly. A lot of the items have characteristics that people would find overpowered. There are items that could cause kills in one hit. It makes the game more luck based. Most people grown upon that in a competitive setting.

Well, I can tell you now being a rude ass isn't apt to make people change their minds.
Also, just because you described their effects, that doesn't make them OP, only to you. The rest of us seem to be able to react fine to them.