The VG Resource
I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) (/thread-23265.html)

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Sevenstitch - 09-20-2013

Kind of wish they wouldn't put any more sword guys in at all. Link, marth, and roy have always been a pain to fight against

I know its their weapon of choice and all and it would be weird to have them in without swords, but they give these guys too much range

Maybe i'm just not a good player or something, but i always have to work double time against someone with a sword

then again it probably doesn't help that my favorite characters to play as have like no reach to begin with

Oh well

I dont really care who they put in, im sure another sword/weapon guy will show up, and I'll get thrashed by him too

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Koopaul - 09-20-2013

I used to have the same problem with sword characters. Then I made a strategy against them! They aren't quite as good combating in the air as they are on the ground. Leaping around them and using aerial attacks is very effective. I'm a DK, Yoshi, and Wario user so pretty much all my attacks are close range. But all three of them have really good aerial motion.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Ark Kuvis - 09-20-2013

(First off, shout out to the dude who linked Project M's fantastic Roy reveal video. Hype has been built.)

I don't think it's impossible to have Marth, Ike, and Chrom. But god damn it's going to be a challenge. If anyone has played Awakening (Ton, you should give it a try! It's kind of like a more anime version of Shining Force!), you'd know that Chrom essentially uses Marth's Falchion. Maybe give him the same kind of tip gimmick that Marth has, but make his sword slashes more wild and free. I can't even comprehend what Chrom's specials would be, but maybe his side B would involve throwing a Javelin Spear?

(I personally always wanted the heroes from FE7. Eliwood, Lyn, and Hector working together as one character. But I mean I'm a fucking nerd and Blazing Sword is one of my favourite game. It's more or less a dream character, similar to Poliwhirl.)

I am basically here banking on Chrom and Dixie Kong for Newcomers but I have no ideas on their move sets. Hopefully Sakurai can think of something cool and radical.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Koopaul - 09-21-2013

Even if characters seem basically the same you can still make their moveset radically different.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - TomGuycott - 09-21-2013

I never agree with all the hate for swords in Smash. Swords are one of the coolest weapons around, and honestly, is it REALLY necessary for every character to fight with their fists? Especially when so many smashes already utilize weapons beyond a character's fists anyway.

The foremost subject is gameplay. In brawl for example, Marth, Ike and the Links all use swords, but they all play differently (with the slight exception of the links, but their physics are different at least).

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Ton - 09-21-2013

I get it. Swords are cool, but there are only so many jabs/slices/uppercuts you can do with them before they becomes stale.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - redblueyellow - 09-21-2013

(09-21-2013, 12:00 PM)Ton Wrote: I get it. Swords are cool, but there are only so many jabs/slices/uppercuts you can do with them before they becomes stale.

I feel like the same can be said for fists/ kicks as well. Sure you have more options without a sword, but a combination can be used to make it more creative/ less stale. Ike's Neutral A Combo (@ 0:05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c208KYdc8W0 ) comes to mind as far as incorporating a mix of sword and kicks or punches, just something to set a character apart from an entirely sword moveset.

That being said, I'm hoping for another sword-based character in the next Smash Bros, but one that does mix in some non-sword moves. I haven't really played any of the Fire Emblem series yet, but I'm sure there's probably a character that could work around that.

Also, in case anyone missed it yesterday, looks like the footstool jump is back.

[Image: screenshot_61338_thumb_wide610.jpg]

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - senjen - 09-21-2013

Speaking of sword users Takamaru seems the most likely candidate

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7d7TvldS3wDjCrueC_Yx...Id6TuN5AOH]

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Kriven - 09-21-2013

Namco has built an entire franchise around fighting with swords without getting stale.

Smash has room for more.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Sevenstitch - 09-23-2013

Wow sorry

forgot that like pretty much everyone else ever likes swords

I guess im just miffed that the trophies in melee showed ganondorf with a big ol sword and he never used it in game

ooh

put windwaker ganondorf in, he has two, and he's my favorite ganondorf

also tingle /joke

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - NICKtendo DS - 09-23-2013

Either you like swords or you don't. The roster is diverse for a reason.
I like fast and strong characters, so I mainly play as Samus, Captain Falcon, Yoshi and Sonic. I really hope Zero Laser doesn't change me into Zero Suit Samus like in Brawl. It's a real deal-breaker for me when I'm considering using Samus in Classic. It takes another Smash Ball to change me back into the character I wanted to play as :/

Tingle should be playable and his moveset should be based on everything ridiculous in the Zelda Universe, like smashing pots, throwing pigs/chickens, Ben, etc.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - TomGuycott - 09-23-2013

Fun fact about that giant sword from Melee (which I've been meaning to submit to VGfacts): it was from a cinematic tech demo for the GameCube where Link and Ganondorf fought, and Gdorf used that big ol' slicey-ma-jig.

Outside of that and Melee, it never appeared in use.

Edit: I might be wrong (net is super slow at work so I can't check), but the Darknut miniboss in Twilight Princess MIGHT use that same sword design.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Gwen - 09-23-2013

(09-23-2013, 07:20 AM)OH SNAPple Wrote: Wow sorry

forgot that like pretty much everyone else ever likes swords

I guess im just miffed that the trophies in melee showed ganondorf with a big ol sword and he never used it in game

ooh

put windwaker ganondorf in, he has two, and he's my favorite ganondorf

also tingle /joke
Windwaker Ganondorf is best Ganondorf. Big Grin

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Sol - 09-23-2013

Wind Waker Ganondorf would be so awesome, and it doesn't seem that far-fetched a character choice considering:

-Wind Waker HD will still be fairly recent when this SSB comes out
-There's no Skyward Sword incarnation of Ganondorf to be used

I will be upset if they just put Demise in with his moves. (Demise kind of sucks...!) And as much as I liked Ghirahim, he's only appeared in one game in the series, so he probably wouldn't be a mainstay in future SSB rosters. On the other hand WW Ganondorf's design is very different from the other SSB incarnations, so who knows if they'd even be able to give him the same moveset if they really wanted to include him.

In other Zelda SSB character deliberations, a way to solve the Zelda/Sheik issue without making a new Sheik design (not that I'd mind that) would be to make Zelda's character slot a combo character of Zelda/Impa. I didn't like a lot of things about Skyward Sword, but Impa was really cool. You could just have Impa switch out with Zelda whenever Down B is pressed. Or I guess you could even make them separate characters altogether and give them new Down Bs, which I wouldn't mind in the least. Impa has been around in the series for quite awhile, though not in every game (or even most of them?) and not in a major role usually. I still think she's pretty cool, and would help fix SSB's gender imbalance, haha.

I also wouldn't mind Tingle on the roster. He's the only Zelda character to star in his own game, he's been around awhile, and he's pretty recognizable to anyone who regularly plays Zelda titles. So there's a lot that could be done with the Zelda series in this Smash Bros. Who knows what they'll do, though, if anything.

Edit: looking at this post I just realized there was no Impa in Wind Waker. Why would they do that??? There totally should've been a pirate descendant of Impa! why nintendo

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Ton - 09-23-2013

Ganondorf will probably be an amalgam of his Ocarina/Twilight Princess/Wind Waker incarnations.