The VG Resource
I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) (/thread-23265.html)

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Rosencrantz - 04-10-2014

(04-10-2014, 05:35 PM)Ton Wrote: Aaaaaaanyway, away from the religious stuff...

Of course we'll get a grass type! Just like in Melee when we had the electric/normal/psychic triangle.

Oh, wait. No, we're not getting a grass type. There's no obligation to have one.
To be 100% fair there's literally no obligation to have about ninety percent of the current revealed roster either. There was no obligation for Sakurai to include another Mario rep, there was no obligation to promote Little Mac, there was no obligation to bring Sonic back, etc etc.

Still feels really awkward to have a fire starter then a water starter but then leave no room for a grass starter. If anything, my money would be on Sceptyle coming in since the gen 3 remake implications have been a massive running joke for a while now.

Safe to say I'm 100% excited for the 3DS version. The City Trial bit from Kirby's Air Ride was easily my all-time favorite bit of that game, and I can't wait to do it from a Smash perspective.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Koopaul - 04-11-2014

So here's a list of Assist Trophies from Brawl that haven't been shown yet:

Barbara the Bat
Excitebikes
Hammer Bro.
Helirin
Infantry & Tanks
Isaac
Kat & Ana
Lakitu
Mr. Resetti
Ray MK III
Tingle

There's a chance that one of these will get the upgrade to playable character. Out of those I think it would be neat to see Barbara the Bat as a rhythm/music based fighter, Isaac as a weapon changing fighter, and Tingle as a joke character.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - soulcaliburfan - 04-11-2014

Resetti could make a decent Joke character too though, but Tingle has more of a following... So yeah.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Ark Kuvis - 04-11-2014

I'll sleep soundly knowing that none of the Brawl assists besides Little Mac will become playable characters. Outside of Issac, none of the ones Koopaul listed sound like anything more than cameo appearances. Their franchises aren't popular enough to warrant playable representation.

Meanwhile, Issac is just another Marth/Ike with elemental magic powers. Let him stay in as an Assist, literally no one cares about Golden Sun in 2014 anyway.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - TomGuycott - 04-11-2014

(04-11-2014, 02:55 AM)Ark Kuvis Wrote: I'll sleep soundly knowing that none of the Brawl assists besides Little Mac will become playable characters. Outside of Issac, none of the ones Koopaul listed sound like anything more than cameo appearances. Their franchises aren't popular enough to warrant playable representation.

Meanwhile, Issac is just another Marth/Ike with elemental magic powers. Let him stay in as an Assist, literally no one cares about Golden Sun in 2014 anyway.

I still care about Golden Sun... >_>

Seriously though, I love Golden Sun. It was one of my favorite GBA games, and I'll never really forget the experience I had with it. It holds a place in my heart. I:

As for "Marth/Ike with Elemental powers", maybe to the point of him having a sword. Frankly, swordplay would be a minimal part of his moves if I had a choice devising them, given that sword strikes in the actual game were very slow and deliberate (given the fact they were turned-based mind you), and you couple those with a variety of strong magic spells and summons. There's also his Psyenergy, which is what Brawl had him use, and the distinct visual style and application of that divides him from being "Ness with a sword".

In my ideal kind of moveset for him, I'd picture him getting more powerful as more Dijinn are set to him, either over a period of time or through a special move. These would grant him buffs to his elemental power, maybe even changing it depending on whether he could set more than one element of Dijinn. The important thing is his main element being Earth, which is a very unique elemental type when you consider the majority of elemental damage in smash is limited to fire, followed by limited water, electricity and ice.

Granted, there are characters far more popular that are probably going to get in before him, and that's fine. In fact, maybe his assist trophy doesn't even make the cut this time (though I doubt that, seeing as Sakurai mentioned wanting to include as many as possible, and it seems ideal to just bring over all the Brawl ones and add more to that list).

As for other assists, there are some that represent characters or at least series that I wouldn't mind seeing represented as playable characters. First and foremost in my mind would be Tingle, the ultimate "joke" character, not really in the sense that he sucks to play as, but that he's just insanely weird. I think that HIS absence from the starting roster of Assist Trophies is something to be curious about over Isaac's.

The Excite Bike rider would make a very interesting character, seeing as he could always be on a bike and use that as a playstyle mechanic, while also making for a variety of funny poses, like how he'd look while ducking. This could easily serve as a "retro" rep resembling Ice Climbers (who is easily on a list of series "most people don't care about" and yet they were considered as playable anyway in one of the more unique character concepts in the series). Since Balloon Fighter is probably nixed because of Villager's recovery move, the Excite Biker would be an alternative for a retro rep.

The Advance Wars trophy represents more of a series I'd like to see represented rather than a character, seeing as it was just the basic units in sprite form that served as trophies. While the series sort of went out with a whimper, it has a decent history dating back to the Famicom Wars days, and I know that when I got into it with the Advance Wars title on GBA there was a large cast of characters that would be awesome to pull a guy from. I hope this takes off this time, because someday I'd love to see the villain Sturm in 3D form, either as a trophy, assist or even playable.

As for Barbara the Bat, while I know nothing about the series, I've felt that's always been what I loved about Smash, it gets you into something new. She's easily one of the more unique concepts out of the assists, and characters in general for that matter, though I doubt she'd be included, like much of these suggestions. The others I find interesting are Ray, who I picture as a miniscule run and gun character with very high mobility but low KO power and extremely low defensive power, and Jill Dozer, who's just adorable in that drill tank of hers. At LEAST I hope these characters return as Assist Trophies.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Koopaul - 04-11-2014

I'll admit her chances are very little. However her recent game for the 3DS was a big hit in Japan. She made cameo apearances in games like Find Mii, Master of Illusion, and a game called English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills.

She's had three games now, one that was released in Europe called Jam With the Band. So her series is alive and kicking.

One of the reasons I'd like her is because of her style. She's a female punk rocker with atitude. No other Nintendo character has that. All the females (except Samus and Sheik) are these very dainty princesses in dresses. Barbara the bat would bring more variety to the female cast I think.

Also it would be cool to have someone attack by swinging a guitar around. FLCL style!

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - CosmykTheDolfyn - 04-11-2014

I'll be honest here, I don't care at all about another pokemon being in there. If we have the veterans return and Greninja, that's more than enough pokemons for me. I actually liked the idea of Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, because it covered more Pokemon people wanted to play as without filling up the entire roster with Pokemon.

What I really want to see is another F-Zero character. If you look at the original cast of the first Smash bros game, every other original character got another person from their series by Brawl (if you count Zero Suit Samus). Captain Falcon is the only exception to that. Also, many of the fighters are "good guys". F-Zero has plenty of bad guys to offer: Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh (who I see as the most likely, already being an Assist trophy), Deathborn (who I feel would be the most unique fighter. His powers are based on immortality, control over time and space and just a general freaky appearance. And, he's lord of the Underworld. What's not to love there? He'd have a unique appearance (exposed brain and all) and moveset compared to everyone else on the roster), Zoda... But, at this point, I'm honestly nervous about Captain Falcon even coming back. After all, he hasn't truthfully been confirmed yet, Nintendo has had a general disdain for all things F-Zero for a few years now, Sakurai has stated that fighters are being cut... At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if he's not in it. As a massive F-Zero fan who owns every F-Zero game released in the states, I'm starting to get pretty worried.

They're no going to cut Falcon. However, the guy shouldn't be fighting alone! I wanted Goroh since he was the Captain's rival and fucking hilarious. But that's unfortunately not happening. Now I can only hope for Black Shadow. He's actually quite requested in Japan.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - E-Man - 04-11-2014

To state my thoughts on Resetti and Tingle as playable characters, I think it would be more realistic that Tingle gets this treatment above Resetti. Besides playing a more historical and active role in the Zelda games, the reaction gamers had to him when he first appeared was probably at a larger scale than when we first met Resetti. Also, Tingle has a lot more opportunities to fight than Resetti does, who is actually more bark than bite.

On top of that, how many Nintendo characters actually have the ability to use currency as ammunition for a machine gun?

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Kriven - 04-11-2014

(04-11-2014, 06:54 AM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: If you look at the original cast of the first Smash bros game, every other original character got another person from their series by Brawl

Not Yoshi.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - TomGuycott - 04-11-2014

(04-11-2014, 06:54 AM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: I'll be honest here, I don't care at all about another pokemon being in there. If we have the veterans return and Greninja, that's more than enough pokemons for me. I actually liked the idea of Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, because it covered more Pokemon people wanted to play as without filling up the entire roster with Pokemon.

Sure, it looks good on paper because there's more space on a character select page, but Pokemon had arguably the largest amount of playable characters in Brawl with a total of six. It's only arguable since people often cite characters like Yoshi and Wario as originating in Mario games (which they did) before going into spin-off territory, but the way that I see it Pokemon has the most in a concentrated main series. If Ivysaur and Squirtle are gone, then there are two less characters that the team has to bother programming, meaning there can be room for two new ones if they were so inclined.

As of now on the "Character Select scoreboard", as it were, Pokemon is only taking up one more space on the board (assuming Jigglypuff returns), as is Mario, and they are definitely the two biggest series that Nintendo has to offer, so I think that is appropriate.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - NICKtendo DS - 04-11-2014

(04-11-2014, 09:40 AM)Kriven Wrote:
(04-11-2014, 06:54 AM)CosmykTheDolfyn Wrote: If you look at the original cast of the first Smash bros game, every other original character got another person from their series by Brawl

Not Yoshi.

Potential Yoshi series fighters:
Shy Guy - I would play him to death if he'd be playable. I can imagine all sorts of Shy Guy subspecies and gadgets involved in his moveset. Final Smash: Shy Squad!
Baby Mario - His moveset includes crying and sit inside a bubble. That's it. I doubt he can even walk.
Raphael the Raven - Electro ball stomp and anger issues. Final Smash: Something moon related.
Baby Bowser - Ha ha ha! Never gonna happen. Bowser Jr. is likely to take the stage as a Mario-series character, with maybe a Baby Bowser costume. If his Final Smash is Big Bad Baby Bowser, I'll shit bricks.
But what they all have in common are that it's very unlikely for them to be added to the roster. I do think a Poochie AT is not out of the question.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - AuraLancer - 04-11-2014

If they add a grass starter too, I'd like it to be from a generation not already represented, which narrows it down to Meganium, Sceptile and Serperior. Sceptile makes the most sense, but I'd honestly rather see Serperior. However, Snivy has been shown to be a Pokeball summon so I dunno.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - FinalSmash - 04-11-2014

I was hoping for Dark Samus to be a skin for Samus, instead of an Assist Trophy.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - MrYoshbert - 04-11-2014

(04-11-2014, 10:23 AM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: Potential Yoshi series fighters:
Shy Guy - I would play him to death if he'd be playable. I can imagine all sorts of Shy Guy subspecies and gadgets involved in his moveset. Final Smash: Shy Squad!
Baby Mario - His moveset includes crying and sit inside a bubble. That's it. I doubt he can even walk.
Raphael the Raven - Electro ball stomp and anger issues. Final Smash: Something moon related.
Baby Bowser - Ha ha ha! Never gonna happen. Bowser Jr. is likely to take the stage as a Mario-series character, with maybe a Baby Bowser costume. If his Final Smash is Big Bad Baby Bowser, I'll shit bricks.
But what they all have in common are that it's very unlikely for them to be added to the roster. I do think a Poochie AT is not out of the question.
You're forgetting Kamek.