The VG Resource
I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) (/thread-23265.html)

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - senjen - 06-14-2013

In a recent Interview with Sakurai, When asked if Megaman was a extra 3rd party character in smash, he said Mega Man Was a special case, what do u think he ment?

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Virtuaboy123 - 06-14-2013

That you shouldn't expect tons of other 3rd party reps? That's a very vague answer.

-it could mean yes we had planned to only bring back snake and sonic, but he got in.
-it could mean yes he's the only one.

I mean he gave no mention to the previous 3rd party characters so until he gives his final word, its all up in the air.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Marth - 06-14-2013

Do we really need third party characters? Sonic fit, Megaman is a fantastic fit and I love Snake but I'm not altogether a fan of him as a smash character.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Goombaking123 - 06-14-2013

Simon Belmont for Captain N nostalgia

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Koopaul - 06-15-2013

I have a feeling someone like Pokemon Trainer might be booted out due to space issues. That was a three in one character!

Ahem anyway I think characters that will get cut from Brawl's roster are:

Sheik
Wolf
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario*
Ike*
Snake

* = will get a replacement from that franchise.

There's also the possibility that Lucas might be removed. I always felt that Sakurai only wanted one Mother character in the game. In Melee he was going to replace Ness with Lucas, but that didn't happen. By Brawl's time Ness had been in two Smash Bros games and replacing him would piss everyone off. So he included both Lucas and Ness. Now he might go back to his original plan of only having one Mother character. Which one? Ness or Lucas? Ness is a veteran so removing him from the picture wouldn't be good. His best bet would to be get rid of Lucas who has had only one appearance in the series.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if Mother only had one character this time. It pissed me off in Brawl that Mother got two characters but F-Zero only got one. I don't mind Captain Falcon standing alone if Mother does as well.

Look at it this way:

Mother has only three games, two of which have only been released in Japan. However Mother has a huge fanbase.

F-Zero has had twice as many games as Mother and a TV series. However the fanbase is practically non-existant at this point.

Both franchises don't seem to get much love from Nintendo.

I'd say they are on the same playing field and deserve the same amount of characters.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - senjen - 06-15-2013

Found awesome fanart

Also here's hoping for a update soon on the smash bros site Smile

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - DioShiba - 06-15-2013

(06-15-2013, 02:08 AM)Koopaul Wrote: It wouldn't bother me one bit if Mother only had one character this time. It pissed me off in Brawl that Mother got two characters but F-Zero only got one. I don't mind Captain Falcon standing alone if Mother does as well.

Look at it this way:

Mother has only three games, two of which have only been released in Japan. However Mother has a huge fanbase.

F-Zero has had twice as many games as Mother and a TV series. However the fanbase is practically non-existant at this point.

Both franchises don't seem to get much love from Nintendo.

I'd say they are on the same playing field and deserve the same amount of characters.

So basically what you're saying is that it's bad for Earthbound to have more reps than F-Zero and Pikmin.

Sorry but I think that's just silly.

Why should a franchise lose one rep to make it equal to the amount of another series reps? To me that seems more like a step back.

Besides who knows, we might end up getting another rep for F-zero if that's the case.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - TomGuycott - 06-15-2013

I remember reading a rumor somewhere that Sakurai and Itoi had some sort of bad blood, something to do with Kirby's Air Ride getting pushed to the Gamecube because of the Mother 3 on 64 that never even materialized. Of course I have no idea whether that rumor is true, nor if it means it has any effect on Sakurai's decisions to include Mother characters.

The fact of the matter is with the Mother series is that, while awesome, is not as widely known as other series (for example every series listed on the new Smash trailer), it is not openly accessible to all players (Earthbound is rarer and expensive if newer, a bit moot with VC releases now, and Mother 3 is Japan only), and Earthbound is a fairly DIFFICULT rpg to those uninitiated to it.

That being said, I really, REALLY wish they could have at least ONE more Mother character, and F-Zero character for that matter. It just makes me sad when two series that are teeming with wonderful characters is underrepresented, but then again they ARE less popular series. It can't be helped really.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Kriven - 06-15-2013

I'd like to point out that, statistically, including elements which appeal more to niche audiences than to the general consumer is more likely to guarantee sales (in all forms of media). So games which can blend niche characters with casual characters are probably the better selling titles, and thus encouraging the inclusion of at least a few niche or cult icons.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - NICKtendo DS - 06-15-2013

(06-14-2013, 05:45 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: I keep seeing people getting their hopes up, so let me reiterate what I've probably said already just so you don't get hurt:...

Except I don't. I'm perfectly fine with only the characters they announced. If they have to cut characters, they'd probably be characters I don't care much about anyway.

While I am content with a roster with just the announced characters, I think it doesn't make sense for the roster to be smaller than Brawl's.
I dare say with 100% confidence that all the Melee characters that made it into Brawl will survive, along with Sonic.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Ark Kuvis - 06-15-2013

[Image: 170px-Krom_Portrait.png]
Anything can change!

While I want THIS badass to represent Fire Emblem in Kerfuffle, I can't help but notice how he can differentiate himself from Marth and Ike. See, Chrom is Marth's ancestor, and actually uses the exact same Falchion that he uses...but Chrom is a much more aggressive fighter, similar to Ike.

If all three get in, we got three male blue haired swordsmen.

An alternative would be to include Chrom's daughter, Lucina. She's a blue haired and uses a sword, but she's a -girl-! Though she actually shares the same class as Marth in Awakening, soooo she might be a tad TOO similar to the Hero King.

Also, after seeing that badass trailer for the new Donkey Kong Country (yeah woah, didn't expect that one! Good on ya, Retro Studios) I totally want Dixie as a playable character. She might be a little harder to create a moveset for (as she was absent from the main Donkey Kong games since 1996) but I can imagine her being as fast and agile as Diddy, with a little more range in her attacks.

I may think of more cool characters I want in the future. But I'm deff rooting for Chrom and Dixie!

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - DioShiba - 06-15-2013

(06-15-2013, 02:05 PM)Ark Kuvis Wrote: See, Chrom is Marth's Descendant.

Fixed. Chrom wasn't an ancestor of Marth it's the other way around.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Koopaul - 06-15-2013

(06-15-2013, 08:03 AM)TreeStar Wrote: So basically what you're saying is that it's bad for Earthbound to have more reps than F-Zero and Pikmin.

Sorry but I think that's just silly.

Why should a franchise lose one rep to make it equal to the amount of another series reps? To me that seems more like a step back.

Besides who knows, we might end up getting another rep for F-zero if that's the case.

Because it's fair and it makes sense. Franchises of equal tier should have equal amount of characters. Why play favorites?
Also Sakurai confirmed he's cutting down on the roster so it makes more sense to cut then to add. I also provided evidence that he always intended to just have one Mother character to begin with... which honestly I think it should.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Kriven - 06-15-2013

(06-15-2013, 05:33 PM)Koopaul Wrote: Because it's fair and it makes sense. Franchises of equal tier should have equal amount of characters. Why play favorites?

Because some franchises have characters which are more suited to Smash or more easily recognizable than others. Earthbound has many more significant characters than F-Zero and Pikmin do simply because of the narratives for the franchises.

I think when you do things in that cold, logical and "All's Equal" way you're looking at, things get cold and become sterile. That's not much fun. It's like political correctness for franchise representation.

F-Zero has way more characters than Mother. And don't give me that "F-Zero is a racing game and Mother is an RPG" because that has nothing to do with the way the series works. Right Wii Fit Trainer?
If it was the way you think it was, Zelda would have 10 characters because they have "narrative", and Mr. Game & Watch wouldn't exist!

"Narrative" has nothing to do with anything when deciding characters.