The VG Resource
I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) (/thread-23265.html)

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Gwen - 03-24-2014

Toon Link NEEDS something involving the wind waker. Or the King of Red Lions, SOMETHING that sets him apart from regular Link and shows off his vastly superior game

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Kriven - 03-24-2014

Why Wind Waker? This Toon Link is the one from Spirit Tracks.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Crappy Blue Luigi - 03-24-2014

why does mario have fireballs? he's clearly the mario from super mario sunshine

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Kriven - 03-24-2014

It doesn't work that way.

Mario is the same character in every game.

Link is not. It's the same spirit (although only partially), but different people. Spirit Tracks Link exists 100 years after Wind Waker happens. Phantom Zelda is the grand daughter of Tetra.

This is all canonical stuff.

And the reason Twilight Princess Link is using the Gale Boomerang instead of a regular one.

My question is really why a character should show off weapons he didn't use instead of letting him use his own unique arsenal? The whip and the Spirit Flute and all that. Hell, even the train.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Darky's Reincarnation - 03-24-2014

i actually really hope cucco are an item, not an assist.

so i can set the item rate to very high

and have a cucco party

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Crappy Blue Luigi - 03-24-2014

(03-24-2014, 03:30 PM)Kriven Wrote: It doesn't work that way.

Mario is the same character in every game.

Link is not. It's the same spirit (although only partially), but different people. Spirit Tracks Link exists 100 years after Wind Waker happens. Phantom Zelda is the grand daughter of Tetra.

This is all canonical stuff.

And the reason Twilight Princess Link is using the Gale Boomerang instead of a regular one.

My question is really why a character should show off weapons he didn't use instead of letting him use his own unique arsenal? The whip and the Spirit Flute and all that. Hell, even the train.

no, that's not my point. this is a crossover game--it does not have to care for franchise continuity. link uses the gale boomerang because it differentiates him from toon link, but aside from that and the hookshot > clawshot change, nothing else about his moveset is specifically taken from twilight princess. he represents multiple generations of links.

beyond that, many characters exhibit moves not implied by their games. why do ness and lucas know pk starstorm? when was olimar capable of doing anything but tossing and redirecting pikmin and punching? blah blah captain falcon and fox.

i don't see any reason to contest toon link using wind waker tools just because there's the implication that he's the link specific to spirit tracks. hell, i think it'd be cool if spirit tracks got some moveset love, but you don't need to toss wind waker right out to get there. a mixed-reference moveset would be really neat.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Jermungandr - 03-24-2014

You know I've been looking at this cucco model and it doesn't appear to be from any specific game. The closest resemblence seems to be the Twilight Princess cucco ... but that doesn't even make sense because that's the one cucco that doesn't follow the stated rule.

You would think they would go with the Ocarina of Time model, seeing as that one is the most iconic.

(03-24-2014, 03:30 PM)Kriven Wrote: It doesn't work that way.

This statement always makes me laugh. Implying that there are explicit rules that are followed.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Tellis - 03-24-2014

In addition to everything Crappy said, Sakurai said himself he wants Link to be a representative of all Links. Why would Toon Link be any different?

I mean, Link's look is obviously based off of Twilight Princess, but the character is supposed to carry the spirit of all the different "adult" Link characters, just as Toon Link represents the spirit of all the "young" Link characters (save for maybe the N64 Young Link? though the brown hair/sleeves color is definitely a callback to NES Link). Heck, there's even more of an argument for Toon Link being all the Links 'cause they all look the same!

Anyway, I echo Crappy's sentiment, a mixed moveset, something to make him more different than Link, would be really appreciated. Not that I really count on Sakurai to do anything like that...

On the topic of Final Smashes though, yeah I really hope some of them get changed. Either made more useful or just outright scrapped and replaced. Give Ness PK Rockin'/Kiai, replace DK's bongos with something actually cool/interesting (animal friends? pummeling someone Jungle Beat style?), and god dang if you're gonna have Falco say "PERSONALLY I PREFER THE AIR" give him a gosh darned Arwing!

I wasn't really saying not to use Wind Waker moves or anything like that at all

I just wanted to know why Wind Waker has the priority despite the fact that Toon Link in Smash 4 is already the same one driving the train

I always thought a "Smash Link" would be the best way to go

Damn, guys need to read a lot less arguing in my posts and a lot more question

Particularly the ones that come before smart-ass responses

sorry, man! i honestly worry sometimes if i come off as argumentative. i was just trying to be humorous. i don't think you stated your case well before my smart-ass response, though. why wind waker? because wind waker got no rep outside of the character's design and the bomb effects last time. it deserves at least one notable reference, just as much as spirit tracks does.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Omega - 03-24-2014

Great Cucco's are finally in, something that should of been in Smash since 64!

Now give me a Rambi crate Sakurai.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Ark Kuvis - 03-25-2014

Was actually banking on Rambi being DK's Final Smash this time around, so we can leave the DK Bongos behind and forget all about the buy-out years completely.

but odds are the DK Bongos will be back.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Ton - 03-25-2014

(03-24-2014, 04:04 PM)Darkys Reincarnation Wrote: i actually really hope cucco are an item, not an assist.

so i can set the item rate to very high

and have a cucco party

AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A CUCCO PARTY CAUSE A CUCCO PARTY GOT DEATH

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Zero Kirby - 03-25-2014

(03-25-2014, 07:09 AM)Ark Kuvis Wrote: Was actually banking on Rambi being DK's Final Smash this time around, so we can leave the DK Bongos behind and forget all about the buy-out years completely.

I could actually see DK's Final Smash being the EVER so satisfying "BOSS PINATA" from the recent DKC games. Aim at dude, hit dude, pummel dude, send dude flying.

And if Diddy's is still his Rocket Barrel and Peanut Popguns thing, bring back the DK64 music for that because yes

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Chaoxys - 03-25-2014

(03-25-2014, 02:41 PM)Zero Kirby Wrote:
(03-25-2014, 07:09 AM)Ark Kuvis Wrote: Was actually banking on Rambi being DK's Final Smash this time around, so we can leave the DK Bongos behind and forget all about the buy-out years completely.

I could actually see DK's Final Smash being the EVER so satisfying "BOSS PINATA" from the recent DKC games. Aim at dude, hit dude, pummel dude, send dude flying.

I'd actually be okay with that. That or punching the moon at them.