The VG Resource
I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) (/thread-23265.html)

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Kosheh - 02-27-2014

(02-27-2014, 12:52 PM)Pik Wrote: His hand is less excusable to look like that. Even if they're always in closed fists, he should at least have individually modeled fingers. Modeled fingers are something we could do in the GameCube era, man. This is the WiiU...

And I know the WiiU is powerful enough do it. Olimar's Pikmin on the Wii had to be low-poly so that they wouldn't cause problems. Now, in Smash 4, they don't have that problem anymore.

In the end, it's just a Waluigi assist trophy, but it's still kinda weird
Actually, if they even modeled his fingers and thumbs so the hands would look like mittens (so they could still save a few hundred polygons) it'd be forgivable

but it's literally a spherical blob with a tennis racket jammed into it

to be fair, i probably won't notice it when i'm pounding faces in as little mac, but...
still nintendo/sora/namco/whoever
c'mon

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - [robo9] - 02-27-2014

Welp, there goes my dream

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Pik - 02-27-2014

[Image: 2014-02-27_1304.png]

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - NICKtendo DS - 02-27-2014

I'm sure a huge team like the one working on this would be able to produce something better looking. Heck, it's proven in the same screenshot! (Mario and Luigi's gloves)
There's most likely a reason to have fairly low poly-counts on ATs. We can either bitch and nitpick, or enjoy a smooth and consistent 60 FPS game.
Yeah, his hands look awful, but his overall model doesn't look bad.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Random Talking Bush - 02-27-2014

I'm more concerned over the fact that the tennis racquet has less polygons. It went from octagonal in Brawl to... square. I swear, it seems the polygon counts for things are actually decreasing over console generations for Nintendo. Just look at Melee's trophy polygon counts compared to Brawl's, for instance.

But yeah, not having modelled fingers is a bit lazy, honestly. The Wii U's more than capable of that.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - E-Man - 02-27-2014

If you ask me, the only way I would see a polygon reduction being justified is if it has something to do with keeping the game running at high frame rates.

That being said, if a console is powerful enough to run at practically 60 frames per second with multiple polygons on the screen (as in a few million or higher), I don't see why modeling the fingers of a minor character would be out of the question.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - [robo9] - 02-27-2014

I think the racquet being square isn't too bad, because there are a lot of tennis racquets with square handles

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Darky's Reincarnation - 02-27-2014

don't forget sakurai said that the game is still in development

i really fucking hope the game is still in development

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - TomGuycott - 02-27-2014

I really think his hand is going to end up staying like that. Its not like they couldn't have shown something more complete today if Waluigi wasn't complete in the first place.

Now what would be really funny is if Master Hand looked as lame as that.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - NICKtendo DS - 02-27-2014

The laziness argument is a bit weird. Look at the rest of the game. Far from lazy. In fact, they're making two games side-by-side! Call me defensive, but I'm sure there's a reason for Waluigi's state beyond "laziness".

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Kriven - 02-27-2014

It really looks like the Brawl model with some updated textures.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - psychospacecow - 02-27-2014

To be fair, its either make trophies that work on the 3ds as well or make twice the amount of collectibles instead of stages, characters, etc.

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Crappy Blue Luigi - 02-27-2014

(02-27-2014, 04:21 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: The laziness argument is a bit weird. Look at the rest of the game. Far from lazy. In fact, they're making two games side-by-side! Call me defensive, but I'm sure there's a reason for Waluigi's state beyond "laziness".

no, laziness is the only reason

laziness is why waluigi is not playable today

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - Mutsukki - 02-27-2014

[Image: M2KMJRt.jpg]

(02-27-2014, 04:21 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: The laziness argument is a bit weird. Look at the rest of the game. Far from lazy. In fact, they're making two games side-by-side! Call me defensive, but I'm sure there's a reason for Waluigi's state beyond "laziness".

There is, he's an assist trophy, in a game you don't take a very close look at the models in the first place. It would be a waste of space to render his hand exactly like the playable character's, this makes total and perfect sense even if a 3DS version wasn't being developed. It's just Sakurai that's being kinda dumb giving us all these really close shots (I bet his artist team is pissed off)

RE: I love you all to death (Just so I can smash bros with you) (SSBWiiU/3DS) - TomGuycott - 02-27-2014

Easy there, CBL. We'll get through this. -Pat pat-

This is the kind of thing that Sakurai tried to prepare people for in an interview about the roster size he had once. He said something to the effect of them working very hard, but apologizing if everyone didn't make it in. I know it's a rough patch, it's what people went through when characters like Skull Kid and Ashley were revealed as Assist Trophies, and it'll probably happen again with veterans like Roy that people liked, or highly requested newcomers like Ridley and King K. Rool, one or both of whom may not even appear as playable.

My point is with a game like this you have to be willing to roll with the punches. The game development can't go on for 10 years straight to put in a hundred different characters. The balance would be out of whack, the developers would burn themselves out and the fans would get restless beyond belief and still be angry when something they wanted didn't happen. There's probably a list of characters devised for the game as playable from day one of development, and after making cuts to certain ones already they've probably already implemented them in the game in one way or another until they can determine what they have time to actually make.

... But I DID just check, and Waluigi REALLY REALLY just looks like a reskinning of his Brawl Model.

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/items/assist/assist14.html