The VG Resource
Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! (/thread-19064.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - Helmo - 12-31-2011

bowser changes size every game ever

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - DioShiba - 12-31-2011

Has Ridley ever had a consistent size?

At one point he was just about the same size as samus, then he became twice the size as samus, small again then he became this gigantic mother fucker in the 3d games.

I could be wrong on this but, I think ridley has some chance, but he'd have his appearance based off an appearance that has him as the same size, if not slightly larger than samus.

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - Gwen - 12-31-2011

What kind of moveset would he even have? Fireballs and claws?

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - Helmo - 12-31-2011

ok lets say master hand shrinks or enlarges everyone so that its fair

ridley is still like a speed demon with massive strength isn't he

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - Tellis - 12-31-2011

Oh god... not the Ridley size debate again... having flashbacks to the Nintendo Nsider forums... oh god... no one man should have to witness it this many times...

Seriously though, the one time where he was the same size as Samus was the first Metroid, which was rendered non-canon by Zero Mission (where he was gigantic... as he has been since Super Metroid). Heck, in the same game Kraid was the same size too, and he was changed to a gigantic crazy dinosaur guy with belly missiles in every game after, his original tiny size even being parodied in Super Metroid.

As much as I'd love for Metroid to represented more, there really isn't anyone else that's significant and could work. Maybe if that Space Pirate guy from Hunters had been in one more game, but he wasn't and has no significance to the franchise anymore.

Oh, and if anyone mentions the SSBM intro as an argument, I might. Just. Snap.

Argyle Bastard Wrote:What kind of moveset would he even have? Fireballs and claws?

He can use his tail to attack or defend himself, if I remember clearly.

besides, I believe sakurai and his development team has given him a few moves in brawl, I think somehow they can manage giving ridley a few moves.

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - Yo-Yo Boy - 12-31-2011

(12-31-2011, 04:13 PM)Argyle Bastard Wrote: What kind of moveset would he even have? Fireballs and claws?

(12-31-2011, 04:18 PM)Tellis Wrote: Oh god... not the Ridley size debate again... having flashbacks to the Nintendo Nsider forums... oh god... no one man should have to witness it this many times...

Seriously though, the one time where he was the same size as Samus was the first Metroid, which was rendered non-canon by Zero Mission (where he was gigantic... as he has been since Super Metroid). removing the kraid part since it bears no relevance to this conversation.

As much as I'd love for Metroid to represented more, there really isn't anyone else that's significant and could work. Maybe if that Space Pirate guy from Hunters had been in one more game, but he wasn't and has no significance to the franchise anymore.

Oh, and if anyone mentions the SSBM intro as an argument, I might. Just. Snap.

I would like to point out that super smash bros. doesn't necessarily have to be true to the original franchises.

Yeah, as nice as it is to have that, it's a crossover we're talking about. You can argue that he's big as hell all you want but they could end up making him small specifically for being playable. This isn't necessarily a game that has to be canon towards every other game it represents, mind you.

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - senjen - 12-31-2011

interesting thread how about geno from smrpg legend of the seven stars and tingle if you played the tingle games you would know how to think of some moves for tingle as well ^^

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - Azure-Tranquility - 12-31-2011

I recall the Meta Ridley fight quite well. He didn't seem MUCH bigger than Samus there, then again he was moving all over the place the majority of the time, so my view may be a bit distorted.

Inb4LOLMetaRidley=/=Ridley

Well, I realize that it doesn't have to stay entirely true to the original games (the MOTHER characters can attest to that -- Ness' Final Smash should still be PK Rockin') but Ridley's a giant fire-breathing dragon with long lanky arms and claws. His eyes are about the size of Samus' head and he picks up Samus either by most of her upper body or at least her head with one claw. He just doesn't seem like a thing which can be shrunk down without losing a lot of what Ridley is. I'm not saying that they can't do it, if anybody knows how to properly mess with character proportions it's the Smash Bros. people, but I'll be surprised as all get out if they do. I can only see him playable as this little hunched over, curled up long-armed mess crawling around, which just wouldn't be Ridley. Ridley flies almost all of the time. And this is just me but I can't see myself actually enjoying playing as Ridley, as much as I love Ridley as a character.

Oh and also he was gigantic in Brawl as a boss character. Just seems weird to go against that, too. I do think it's realistic to think they might bring him back as an Adventure Mode boss again. Hell, bring Kraid into adventure mode too, I can see him being really fun to fight in the SSB style.

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - Azure-Tranquility - 12-31-2011

This may be a stretch but, barring any size reductions, couldn't Ridley's SSB4 form just be a new body? Like "Mini-Ridley" or "Kid Ridley", but the character would still be called Ridley.

I mean adding smash-exclusive elements to a character isn't something new. Sheik, for example, uses a "Twilight Princess" style despite not being in the game, so they used concept art. Essentially, Sheik's design in Brawl is smash-exclusive, in a sense.

King Dedede also had his hammer "mechanized" for Brawl, which can be seen in his moveset.

And, as Tellis pointed out, there are inaccuracies with certain characters anyway. Ness' final smash doesn't make sense, Falco's final smash should have been an arwing. Olimar & Kirby are bigger than normal.

And I don't think I even have to go into "Giga Bowser"...

If a character is wanted, and if the developers have the resources, the character WILL be in, whether there are inaccuracies or not.

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - Yo-Yo Boy - 12-31-2011

(12-31-2011, 06:26 PM)Tellis Wrote: I can only see him playable as this little hunched over, curled up long-armed mess crawling around, which just wouldn't be Ridley. Ridley flies almost all of the time. And this is just me but I can't see myself actually enjoying playing as Ridley, as much as I love Ridley as a character.
Why can't he just fly as much as Meta Knight does?
If they did that I think I'd actually enjoy playing as Ridley, and I don't care if he's too big, fine shrink him a little.
If he's larger than the other characters it would actually balance his speed and power as he is a easy target to hit IMO.

(12-31-2011, 06:37 PM)Whack-Dat-Yoshi Wrote: This may be a stretch but, barring any size reductions, couldn't Ridley's SSB4 form just be a new body? Like "Mini-Ridley" or "Kid Ridley", but the character would still be called Ridley.
Heh, yeah, I was thinking of that too, I guess I forgot to mention it in my post. Like, after getting his ass handed to him in Brawl (twice!) the Space Pirates were like "let's make him a new specialized body that's fast and small so he can take the fight straight to his opponents" or something. I mean, Ridley's the most familiar to body swaps out of just about any video game character except Zero, and it sounds like something stupid the Space Pirates would put Ridley through, because on top of being their leader he's basically their scientific plaything. I'd be fine with that I guess. Would still be a little weird for me, but I could deal with that explanation.

RE: Super Smash Bros. Wii-U/3DS Thread of JAPAN TIME! - TomGuycott - 12-31-2011

My argument for Ridley has always been "use a little suspension of disbelief". There are always the other bounty hunters in the Metroid universe though. Personally I always liked the designs of the other hunters from the Metroid Prime: Hunters game on the DS, but the game just wasn't all that great compared to other Metroid games, and the other hunters were just forgotten.

Plus if they DID include him and make him smaller they could always been tongue-in-cheek about it, like having his descriptions in game say things like "Didn't he used to be bigger??" and silly things like that. Or he could become the biggest fighter in the series.