The VG Resource
Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have (/thread-17120.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Vipershark - 05-01-2011

(05-01-2011, 09:07 AM)Kat Wrote:
(05-01-2011, 02:25 AM)Koopaul Wrote: Well I always assumed it was superficial reasons. People see DK and see a big dumb ape. Maybe so, but that doesn't mean he isn't a fun lovable character.
Anyway the game is way better than the original in my opinion.

That's something we rarely get, comeback games that can top the original.

I can't think of any examples of a franchise getting revived and being better than it was before. That's what I want to see more of! Imagine a Comander Keen revival.

Ha! I brought it back on topic.

If it means anything, I just never found the games fun. I didn't care what DK was, the games just never appealed to me. You know, this can happen with a person.

oh wow i actually agree with lunyka

i own the original DKC games but i just find them /boring/
i mean, they aren't bad games; don't get me wrong
there's a nice challenge to be had in them and there are admittedly some pretty fun parts but overall i just don't like them

not to mention that the characters are unappealing
i never said anything about "big dumb ape"
the characters and story are just completely boring. all of them. that's all there is to it.

(i did enjoy dk64 though. that was a good game. though it gets called out as a banjo kazooie clone [even though it isn't], so whatever)

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Maxpphire - 05-01-2011

(05-01-2011, 10:00 AM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Well Koopaul I'm just gonna get this over with. I played the original DKCs and I loved them. I've NEVER gotten to play DKCR yet but I want to eventually. I have no doubt it'll be great.

Also Kat you always say "if it means anything" but most everything you say means something, especially the way you listened and helped me. Smile

It is one of my Catch Phrases, I repeat things a lot when I speak and type. It happens.

Also I agree with Viper, the characters are just boring to me. I mean I didn't think of DK as stupid because he was an Ape, I just think they could have done more with his character development but they never stepped up to it.

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Helmo - 05-01-2011

It's okay guys, I like this game where you capture colorful magic animals and make them beat the shit out of each other.

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Vipershark - 05-01-2011

it's the same reason why nobody gives a shit about pacman
boring characters

the only difference being that with pacman, there's less material to work with.

the original arcade donkey kong had mario (jumpman) rescuing peach (pauline) from donkey kong
there was platforming involved
smb added onto the formula, making the game a platformer but still holding on to the basic theme which was mario rescuing the princess from a large animal enemy
while it was a simple concept, there was a lot of room to work with what they were doing with nwer games since mario had a clear and definite goal: to rescue the princess.

pacman, on the other hand, is about a yellow circle in a maze eating dots and running from ghosts
there is no goal to the game aside from "eat dots" and "don't die"
there is no end goal you're working toward; it's strictly about achieving high scores

while the same could be technically argued of the original donkey kong as far as achieving high scores, the two really can't be compared
donkey kong has an actual story to it (mario has to rescue the princess from donkey kong who continues to ascend higher and higher up a building)
but as i said before, pacman is simply "eat dots and don't die"
there is no actual story content to the game.

which is why i highly doubt that pacman will ever become a mainstream platformer character.
there's just not enough material to work with outside of arcade releases.

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Helmo - 05-01-2011

I think DK is just fine, he's one of the cooler characters if you ask me.

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Gors - 05-01-2011

yeah, I like DK too, and RARE's done a good job expanding the story on DK's side.

this is why story is also important. Depending on it, it might expand or end your game miserably.

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - stache - 05-01-2011

(05-01-2011, 01:41 PM)Pugnificent Wrote: It's okay guys, I like this game where you capture colorful magic animals and make them beat the shit out of each other.

that sounds like a stupid game.

It's not like a couple of Japanese people would ever make a fortune off selling that game.

Nah~~

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Koopaul - 05-01-2011

@ Vipershark:

See I think that sucks when people can't see beyond the arcade series. Pac-Man World games were pretty damn good and I think Pac-Man could become a great franchise if people would just see him as more than he once was. And that's a problem with Donkey Kong, people continue to see him as Mario's antagonist rather than a hero in his own right.

At any rate I still would like to know why you find the characters boring. Not "cool" enough? Needs more spiky hair?

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Cobalt Blue - 05-01-2011

excuse me, i though in the 80's, with the lack of RAM space and technical shit behind to backup a plot, people usually forget their own stories about what lies whitin each video game you could play.

mean, someone had an arcade about a blue and red lines chasing each other in order to kill its opponent. what happened when someone though about the world behind those death races?
[Image: tron_poster.jpg]

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - StarSock64 - 05-01-2011

(05-01-2011, 07:06 PM)Koopaul Wrote: And that's a problem with Donkey Kong, people continue to see him as Mario's antagonist rather than a hero in his own right.

Um, no, pretty sure nobody does this at all.

(05-01-2011, 07:06 PM)Koopaul Wrote: At any rate I still would like to know why you find the characters boring. Not "cool" enough? Needs more spiky hair?

When I think of Donkey Kong characters I can only think of two things: be really brown and act silly. And that's it. I don't think the non-talking Nintendo characters things works out too well in their case. The music and atmosphere tend to put me to sleep too...

[Image: pac-man-2-house-angry.png]

This was a pretty great game. You're by no means limited to their arcade origins, you can make a good pacman or donkey kong game and you can expand on them, it just hasn't been done as well or as often as possible. The few times haven't really been enough to get peoples' attention and I don't really blame them. Only DK game I really cared about was DK 64. Played the others when I was a kid, they're okay I guess...? I'm pretty sure I liked that 3D cartoon thing back then though.

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Cell Shaded Envy - 05-01-2011

A 3rd Shadow Pokemon game. They left off on a cliffhanger that they could work with.

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - SKELTON S. SKELETON - 05-01-2011

a new fighting game

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Koopaul - 05-02-2011

(05-01-2011, 08:02 PM)StarSock64 Wrote:
(05-01-2011, 07:06 PM)Koopaul Wrote: And that's a problem with Donkey Kong, people continue to see him as Mario's antagonist rather than a hero in his own right.

I'm pretty sure they do. Whenever DK is brought up in popular culture what do you think they reference him as? Also i try looking for DK fanart, geuss what most of it is dedicated to? Country or Arcade?

(05-01-2011, 07:06 PM)Koopaul Wrote: At any rate I still would like to know why you find the characters boring. Not "cool" enough? Needs more spiky hair?

When I think of Donkey Kong characters I can only think of two things: be really brown and act silly. And that's it. I don't think the non-talking Nintendo characters things works out too well in their case. The music and atmosphere tend to put me to sleep too...

When I think of Kirby I think pink and cute. What about it? It's like I said before, its superficial reasons. Nowadays things have to be uber cute or super cool. No room for funny animals.

And the music and atmosphere of DKC was some of the best around! Jesus did you even play that games?

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Demonlemon - 05-02-2011

Fighting Foodons DS
Paper Luigi
Voodoo Vince 2
English translations of more games than I could list... etc

RE: Non Existing Video Games You Would Love To Have - Vipershark - 05-02-2011

The only song I can honestly tell you that i remember from any dkc game is the map music and the intro music from dkc1

the only reason i know bramble blast even EXISTS is because it's in brawl

anyway, starsock's above post was perfect and I agree 100%
I was meaning to say most of that earlier, but didn't
I have pacman 2 as well and it's a good game, but it just doesn't feel like pacman
it mostly felt like they just slapped an established ip onto a different game to get it to sell.
(05-02-2011, 12:16 AM)Koopaul Wrote:

I'm pretty sure they do. Whenever DK is brought up in popular culture what do you think they reference him as? Also i try looking for DK fanart, geuss what most of it is dedicated to? Country or Arcade?

You're also forgetting that not only is the name of the original game donkey kong (meaning that the phrase "donkey kong fanart" will obviously point more toward the original game), but older people played that game as well

most middle aged people that no longer play videogames will have played the orignal donkey kong

i know several people in my own family that played the originals but didn't know the the snes (and newer) games even exist.

you, being the one that loves retro things so much, should get this more than anyone; the original game is so much bigger in popular colture because so many more people have played it.

(by the way, /nobody/ considers donkey kong mario's antagonist anymore)