The VG Resource
Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles (/thread-17089.html)

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Key - 04-09-2011

I liked Sonic and the Black Knight, but they should have made a whole new series with it.
Sonic did not need to go back in time or whatever, it was really fun but NOTHING like sonic.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Shadowth117 - 04-09-2011

(04-09-2011, 05:19 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: Hm, I remember there was a hack of SA2 where City Escape was played as Eggman. It would be neat to see that with the other characters.

Just to jump in to add to this, you could actually use cheats to play as any character in any stage in that game. It actually plays surprisingly well if you avoid doing certain actions that cause the game to freeze by using moon jump. The emerald hunt levels are admittedly difficult to play with the other characters, but some of the shooting levels were surprisingly interesting with characters that ran on foot. Knuckles on Sonic/Shadow stages was particularly fun though as you might imagine.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Kriven - 04-09-2011

I like Grooveman's idea of pointing out the flaws in favorite series Big Grin

Perfect Dark - Less than clear objectives are rather frustrating Very Sad

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Rökkan - 04-09-2011

(04-08-2011, 08:18 PM)Pugnificent Wrote: Sonic + Altered Beast + Ristar = Sonic Unleashed

Try adding God of War there. The Werehog's gameplay is a pretty blatant copy of it, specially in the 360 version with the QTEs.

(04-08-2011, 10:07 PM)Kriven Wrote: Just adding that I actually really like Cream as a character and as far as playing as her had been. She just felt like she was taken out of the same mold the Pre-Adventure cast had been taken from, and fit really well.

I like Cream too, she's a pretty good character in my book! She's actually believed to be based off "Feel", which was one of the many characters made to be Sonic. It's a fast rabbit that can pick things with his ears and throw them.

[Image: rabbit_sonic.png]

They decided that the grabbing mechanic didn't fit the fast-paced nature of the game too well, so they discarded it and later on re-used the concept for Ristar. Cream can throw her Chao to destroy enemies much like Feel could throw objects on enemies.

(04-08-2011, 10:10 PM)The_Doom-ed_one Wrote: *ahem* BEWARE OF EXCESSIVE AND POSSIBLY OFFENSIVE RANT

blablablablabla

End rant

I already feel better.

I'm only going to leave 1 more reply in this topic, and it'll only be aimed towards the most intelligent questions for me. After that, I NEVER wish to discuss my opinion towards the series ever again.

Uhh, what

How can the different interpretations of a character have anything to do with everyone not liking a game. (???)

Also, are you arguing that the original games were only good because of nostalgia and peer pressure? Because I can say for myself that I'm the living example that you're very very wrong. Back some years ago I only really liked Sonic 3 out of the classics, and I really loved Sonic Adventure, Adventure 2, Sonic Rush, Secret Rings... As I grew up and matured, I started changing my tastes and realizing that some of the games that I really liked back then not only did not hold up to the test of time (I had no desire to replay them whatsoever), but I realized how poor and cheap some of them were structured, and also started playing the classics. I didn't like Sonic CD at first (thought it was just a 'buffier' version of Sonic 1), but then when I replayed it a year later, I just loved it. Replayed it one more time after a year and I started loving it for more reasons than what I originally did.
I didn't like Sonic the Hedgehog or Sonic the Hedgehog 2 at first. Then I started replaying Sonic the Hedgehog and each time I did, I started 'getting' the game more, and also enjoying it more - it is an incredible game that shows that you can create a really great game while still being gimmicky (the reason why it's speed-based, the many rings falling out of the character when hit, the rotating special stages - these were all 'gimmicks' to show what amazing things the Genesis could do that nobody have seen so far and to attract people's attention to it, and the best thing is that they designed all those things to have meaning to the gameplay and the game design of it, and that's awesome).
Then Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - I had a bit of hate for it because I thought it was really overrated, and all other classic games were better than it - because the levels seemed to be so much more straightforward than the other classic games, but I was wrong to quickly dismiss it. As I gave the game some replays (it happened this year btw) I just started to enjoy it more and more - sure, it is a bit more straightforward and not as good as Sonic 1, but it still had that same great gameplay and design, while offering more levels and more variety. And I realized that Sonic 3 & Knuckles - the game I loved the most, wasn't all that great, sure, it had a bunch of more features and the levels were three times the size of those in Sonic 1 and 2, but you spent five times the amount of time in them to succeed, so therefore, they didn't have that many splitting paths than the levels in Sonic 1, 2 and CD, and didn't exactly follow the speed = skill and skill = speed design of the other classics did, although it had great level design, visuals, a bunch of cool features that the games before it didn't have, and it rewarded for exploring stages - which was really fun to do, too.

And yes, you're right, most games tried to offer different gimmicks (your list of 'gimmicks' is pretty off the mark and shallow btw), but the difference is in whether they're good or not. Alien landscapes and different alien powers that you can unlock to use them in previous levels to get to places you previously couldn't? That's awesome. Controlling three characters at once with terrible controls and abilities that are there mostly to get through artificial obstacles? Nope! As I said, I just want good games, games that are enjoyable, that have good and thoughtful design. You don't see people complaining that Super Mario Galaxy isn't Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario 64. Why? Because it's really fucking good. Sonic 2006 could have been about Classic Sonic, featuring Mighty, Fang, the original Chaotix crew, could have had the same pop-art sort of artstyle from the classics and have an actually decent story, but it would still be a terrible game. Why? Because it's an unfinished mess of a game, regardless of being new Sonic or not.

Also, you can't generalize Sonic fans. Take a look at the classics - they all have the same gameplay on its core, but they have different designs, directions and features. If those were the only games released, fans would still argue which one would be the best and a consensus would still be hard to achieve. Now, look at the plentitude of different interpretations of the guy. You have japanese classic Sonic, you have american classic Sonic, you have modern Sonic, you have 4 different comics, 4 different TV shows... It is a mess, hence why you'll rarely see any consensus on most fans, and why there is so much discussion about it - It honestly does make me kinda sick as well (ironically coming from the one who's spending hours writing about it), but yeah :B
oh shit, I can't believe that i just noticed that after writing all this shit up. "i'll post this and read the most intelligent (read as: the ones that agree with me) answers!!" *someone calls him out* "oh no!! *leaves thread*"

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - DioShiba - 04-09-2011

(04-08-2011, 10:10 PM)The_Doom-ed_one Wrote: And I swear, if SEGA "reboots the Sonic series" ONE more time, I'm going to lose my mind. You can't just "reboot the series" EVERY SINGLE FRICKIN MAINSTREAM GAME!!!

The sonic series has never had a single reboot, at all.

how the fuck you came to this conclusion is beyond me but with partial respect, if the whole series was rebooted a butt fuck number of times we'd be playing yet another green hill zone with another useless furry on the sonic bandwagon, and that would get boring as fuck real fast now wouldn't it?

All the sonic series had was spin-off after a sequel to another spin-off, it repeats from there. The Sonic series needs a reboot, no more sequels and shit, even if some of those games were arguably good.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Cobalt Blue - 04-09-2011

i'd rather let the franchise die and play something else from sega.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Rökkan - 04-09-2011

(04-09-2011, 03:05 PM)Sweet Hot Vegas Wrote:
(04-08-2011, 10:10 PM)The_Doom-ed_one Wrote: And I swear, if SEGA "reboots the Sonic series" ONE more time, I'm going to lose my mind. You can't just "reboot the series" EVERY SINGLE FRICKIN MAINSTREAM GAME!!!

The sonic series has never had a single reboot, at all.

how the fuck you came to this conclusion is beyond me but with partial respect, if the whole series was rebooted a butt fuck number of times we'd be playing yet another green hill zone with another useless furry on the sonic bandwagon, and that would get boring as fuck real fast now wouldn't it?

All the sonic series had was spin-off after a sequel to another spin-off, it repeats from there. The Sonic series needs a reboot, no more sequels and shit, even if some of those games were arguably good.

Every Sonic game nowadays is sort of a "story" of its own. Sonic Team realized the fucked up canon of Sonic and said "fuck this" and decided to just go with simple stories for each game that doesn't exactly connect to another one to stablish a canon of sorts. If you take a close look, each Sonic title nowadays has its own sort of direction and interpretation, they aren't worrying too hard in stablishing a canon or anything, which is pretty cool because this allows them to have more freedom with each game's plots (which luckily are being much more simplistic and less retarded)

(04-09-2011, 03:19 PM)Fuchikoma Wrote: i'd rather let the franchise die and play something else from sega.

i'm surprisingly pretty neutral about it, i just don't care. this sega isn't the same as that creative sega from the dreamcast days anyway.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Helmo - 04-09-2011

Adventure 3 and die

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - JackMan - 04-10-2011

Jesus christ

Grown men arguing about a blue rodent that wears red shoes, that can travel at the speed of sound

I love you, internet, I love you so much.

But yeah.

Probably not gonna be anything spectacular. Whoever said "You can only go so far" is right. I'm satisfied if they make it enjoyable.
Maybe it'll have Classic Sonic playable and new Sonic playable too. That would be awesome.
You know what characters I want to be playable?
Sonic. -Both-
Knuckles. -Both, if possible-
Tails. -Both.-

Because they all kick ass. No Shadow is needed. I gotta say, I loves me some Shadow. Just like I loves me some Vegeta.
But you don't need him. I'm sorry.

And.. you know what I want? You know what I really, REALLY want?
I want.
goddamn.
ROBOTNIK. NOT FUCKING EGGMAN. I WANT ROBOTNIK.

This is how I want it to work-
Different villian for different type of character
like in S3&K. Or just S&K, rather. Knuckles with Egg Robo, Sonic with Robotnik.
New sonic- Eggman as the villian.
Old sonic- goddamned Robotnik as the villian.
If that happens, I will be happy.

As for the levels I'm expecting, I EXPECT Winged Fortress. Seriously. That shit needs a remix. Fucking serious.
And Scrap Brain zone, even though that won't happen ;_____;

Pretty much, I want the industrial levels. Robotic levels. Like Oil Ocean. I want some Oil Ocean in there.
Metropolis can suck a dick, fuck that level so hard.
Honestly, I'd love to see a LOT of Sonic 2 levels. I'd love some Hilltop and Mystic Cave, just to see how they'd make it look.

As for Sonic 3 levels, they have to have Angel Island in it. I don't even like that level. In fact, I hate that level. But you know what's awesome about the level? The act 2 parallax. Where everything hits the shitter and goes all fiery.
That's awesome. That is epic. With all the robotic flying things flying around and fucking shit up.
Death Egg zone -Sonic 2- has to be remade.. Really, it does.

I don't really care about Hydrocity. I love the music, but the level is so.. so blah.
I'd like to say I want some Marble Garden, but it's pretty boring too. I want Launch Base too. Launch Base always felt so epic.
Imagine a giant HD Death Egg in the background, just sitting there waiting to blow some shit up.
IMAGINE IT.

As for Sonic CD levels, I love them all for the sole reason of seeing them in a pre-historic peaceful state and a post-apocalyptic robotic state. That's amazing.
Above all else, I really want to see Stardust Speedway (METAL FUCKING SONIC RACE) and Metallic Madness.

And for SA2 and SA.. Uhh..
I guess Green Forest, and both of the ARK levels I can't remember. The really fucking hard ones with the rails and shit.

I just hope they don't fuck it up bigtime. This is a wetdream coming to life, seriously. I hope classic Sonic comes into the story, and some mega-giant-holy shit Robotnik's ripping a hole in the space-time continuum story will happen.
I don't know.
Something epic, for god's sake, please.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Kriven - 04-10-2011

I wouldn't mind if they used the old gameplay styles of Knuckles and Tails if they want to extend the cast. The problem with the newer characters is that they don't really bring anything new to the table, and when they do it's often botched and boring. The exception being Gamma in the first Sonic Adventure, who I feel succeeded in what he did, despite all the hate he (and the mecha stages he spawned) being slower than the other characters. Most of the other recent additions are either clones (Shad0w) or failed gimmicks (Silver.) When Tails and Knuckles were introduced, they were similar and varied enough from Sonic's gameplay to be enjoyable by anybody playing the game. There needs to be a little more innovation as far as integrating new characters and elements, or even old characters with new elements.

There also needs to be a little more Fang the Sniper and wheel-rolling Vector.

Edit: Actually, Fang has reminded me of the big problem with Sonic villains recently: they're all some terrible world-destroying god-monster. Mephiles, Chaos (who was good when he was the only one) and BioLizard. And when it's not them, it's Eggman Nega. Eggman Nega, because one Eggman just can't do it himself, right? Fang is a more unique opportunity to at least show off an antagonistic character, if he isn't a villain, and he's just been sorely neglected in a number of elements where he could have really shown off what he can do.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - DioShiba - 04-10-2011

(04-10-2011, 11:36 AM)JackMan Wrote: ROBOTNIK. NOT FUCKING EGGMAN. I WANT ROBOTNIK.

Robotnick is Eggman. They just choose to localize it as Eggman in America.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Garamonde - 04-10-2011

(04-10-2011, 01:28 PM)Sweet Hot Vegas Wrote:
(04-10-2011, 11:36 AM)JackMan Wrote: ROBOTNIK. NOT FUCKING EGGMAN. I WANT ROBOTNIK.

He probably wants the classic design back, or the name, or both.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Vipershark - 04-10-2011

(04-10-2011, 01:28 PM)Sweet Hot Vegas Wrote:

Robotnik was only an american thing
He was always eggman in japan, even back in the genesis days.

They just decided to call him eggman (his real name) starting with the dreamcast games.

The only problem with this is the "Dr. Ivo 'Eggman' Robotnik" thing from the sonic adventure games, but again, that was probably only in the localizations and it was just Dr. Eggman in the japanese releases

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Cobalt Blue - 04-10-2011

(04-10-2011, 11:36 AM)JackMan Wrote: Jesus christ

Grown men arguing about a blue rodent that wears red shoes, that can travel at the speed of sound

I love you, internet, I love you so much.
Hurr da Durr

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Kesha - 04-10-2011

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.