The VG Resource
Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles (/thread-17089.html)

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Cobalt Blue - 08-19-2011

i think we should all move on from rolling not being a way to gain speed anymore.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Iceman404 - 08-19-2011

(08-19-2011, 09:29 PM)CO2 Wrote: i think we should all move on from rolling not being a way to gain speed anymore.

We should also all move on from good physics, balanced spin-dashing, and non automated everything.

EDIT: By the way...

Better video of Modern Sonic.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Omegajak - 08-20-2011

(08-19-2011, 09:52 PM)Iceman404 Wrote:
(08-19-2011, 09:29 PM)CO2 Wrote: i think we should all move on from rolling not being a way to gain speed anymore.

We should also all move on from good physics, balanced spin-dashing, and non automated everything.

EDIT: By the way...

Better video of Modern Sonic.

Finding it even harder not to have a 3DS

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Rökkan - 08-20-2011

i'm not sure whether the game plays really badly or if the player is a giant piece of shit who just insists really hard on not trying to play it well, either way, it was really, really frustrating to watch.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Iceman404 - 08-20-2011

(08-20-2011, 12:02 PM)Rökkan Wrote: i'm not sure whether the game plays really badly or if the player is a giant piece of shit who just insists really hard on not trying to play it well, either way, it was really, really frustrating to watch.

It's probably hard to play a portable with a camera in the other hand.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Alpha Six - 08-20-2011

Looks pretty good to me-- it looks more like flaws on the player.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - NICKtendo DS - 08-21-2011

Since my brother sold his PS3, I can't get the console version anymore and have to get the 3DS version instead,
but from what I've seen from the Mushroom Hill footage, I'm not disappointed at all. I might even be better off.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Rökkan - 09-28-2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuHW981wCE

GODDAMN that Sky Sanctuary, SON (also, Hub World, full Modern Sonic Chemical Plant and Metal Sonic boss fight)

00:35 in there's Door into Summer from Knuckles Chaotix B)

I wasn't too sure about the game's quality, specially because Green Hill Zone (both Modern and Classic) was pretty bland and short, but now it is pretty clear that this game does improve on Sonic Colors' already great platforming and its stages do present awesome things to actually DO and experience throughout the levels instead of the usual "look how fast Sonic runs away from this whale/destroying base/giant crushing wheel or goes through this wacky loop". I could go on more, but in short, game is amazing, no doubts it will be at least as good as Sonic Colors.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Iceman404 - 09-28-2011

I like how Classic Sonic is even shorter than the characters desk

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Baegal - 09-28-2011

Not gonna lie, by the looks of the trailers, I started to become dissapointed, but that video raised my spirits.

BTW All I have to say is WOW to Sky Sanctuary.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Kriven - 09-28-2011

I really hate Modern Sonic.

Adventure gameplay please.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Goemar - 09-28-2011

I'm pretty confident this is going to be good. Well at least the console version.
I've heard other things said about the handheld one...

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Koopaul - 09-28-2011

(09-28-2011, 05:27 PM)Kriven Wrote: I really hate Modern Sonic.

Agreed I want three dimensional platforming which I saw next to none in this game. Just a lot of boosting down narrow stretches.

At about 11:55 in that latest video you can see a more open 3D area but it only lasts a second.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Rökkan - 09-29-2011

(09-28-2011, 09:58 PM)Koopaul Wrote:
(09-28-2011, 05:27 PM)Kriven Wrote: I really hate Modern Sonic.

Agreed I want three dimensional platforming which I saw next to none in this game. Just a lot of boosting down narrow stretches.

At about 11:55 in that latest video you can see a more open 3D area but it only lasts a second.

I also would like better if Modern Sonic's gameplay explored more the fact that it is 3D instead of being too much about 2D sections and 3D corridors, but this is definitely a step forward. Sonic Unleashed provided a really fast-paced gameplay that was really exhilarating and worked well, but levels had few to no variety in regards to how they work gameplay-wise, and since they had a lot of pit of deaths, half of the levels there suffered Wing Fortress Zone complex (levels that were designed so that you could or even should be fast at them, but the player holds back some because he's too afraid of falling down a deathpit that could not be predicted or avoided with how speedy he was)

Sonic Colors took notes and presented some levels with interesting varieties on the actual gameplay, and not just aesthetical changes. But most of those changes were apparent on the 2D sections, which were the game's high point, showcasing creative and varied 2D platforming, while the 3D sections were usually about running, quick-stepping, and on rarer occasions, drifting. They got rid of a bunch of deathpits too, but cheap deaths are still sort of a thing that happened there sometimes.

Sonic Generations is less of a step forward than Sonic Colors was, but it still seems like a step forward nonetheless, since it seems like they are actually making 3D sections with actual stage gimmicks on them (be it on homing attacking, quick-stepping, etc) that presents interesting situations for the player to handle, and feels a tiny bit less like you're going through a racetrack with a beautiful but untouchable environment around you instead of actually BEING on the environment (which was one of my biggest grips with Colors). Plus, they're fixing the problem of unpredictable and cheap deaths by making deathpit signs, which is a great design choice in every way, because both Sonics' levels rely on multiple paths, and if there actually are deathpits on their levels, how will I know if there will be a floor to save me if I fall down this path that I am on?
It's not much, and I wish they would focus more on 3D since Modern Sonic is 3D, and the constant use of 2D sections make his gameplay feel like a buffed, speedy, but dumbed down level-design wise Classic Sonic, and I wish that levels would feel more like you are actually in the environment, but Modern Sonic's gameplay is the most solid 3D gameplay that we've had so far, and it seems to be working finer than it did on Unleashed, which is very satisfying.

Still, it's not Modern Sonic's gameplay that is completely exciting me, but how creative and interesting Classic Sonic's levels are being designed. What I feel is that although Modern Sonic's gameplay is getting my attention, I wouldn't like this game too much if it was just him, however, I would probably still really like the game (although to a lesser extent) if it was just Classic Sonic.

Also, new trailer with Speed Highway and Seaside Hill:

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Goemar - 09-29-2011

Classic Sonic is always going to be better than Modern Sonic as platforming with any sense of speed is always going to work more in 2D. Not saying there's no room for a 3D Sonic but I'm damn glad they're staying away from large 3D areas, I just couldn't see that working. Sega couldn't even make open areas work slowly in Unleashed and they had Prince of Persia and God of War to rip off... I'm also still in shock that this game doesn't look crap.

+ I would play for Sonic 2 redone like this, would make some awesome DLC and Sega would make millions. Do it Sega, dooooooo it. (Do it).