The VG Resource
Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles (/thread-17089.html)

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Iceman404 - 08-07-2011

A while? There's a fucking Sonic guide all over the internet. I know they're not the same people they were years ago, but the excuse not to research it is laziness and stupidity.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - NICKtendo DS - 08-07-2011

(08-06-2011, 09:32 PM)CO2 Wrote: why did city escape needed autotuner.

In one part, the vocals are adjusted so that it sounds like Endless Mine from Sonic 3.
Everytime I hear the Endless Mine theme now, I can hear "Danger is lurking around every turn. Trust your feeling, got to live and learn."

I know Classic's gameplay isn't as true to the Genesis games as it should be, but I don't find it that bad. Still, if it matched Sonic 3 (&K) perfectly, it would have been nice. That is what you'd expect from Classic Sonic gameplay.

There is a possibility that this video was made before the feedback, or they are still working on it/getting to it. Whether the flaws are going to be fixed, we don't know, but we can't assume they won't.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Rökkan - 08-07-2011

(08-06-2011, 10:11 PM)Iceman404 Wrote: It still seems like they've ignored all the feedback on the obvious Classic Sonic physics flaws people have rubbed in their faces so far. What's the point of public demos if you wont even accept the GODDAMN FEEDBACK TO IMPROVE THINGS? Is it really THAT hard?! They said that they'd visit the most popular Sonic forums personally and see our opinions on things not too long ago, what a load of bullshit. In other news, Chemical Plant is looking good. Modern's version of the tune is much better than Classic's (which is just a copy paste with some minor details added). Not to seem like I'm bashing on the game unnecessarily but, anyone who can't see that they obviously flunked on Classic's side of things is just graphic-whoring.

the feedback won't matter, they already designed the game with the super-powered spin-dash in mind and all that jazz. to make the game actually play like the classics would probably require some level redesigning (specially regarding those long-ass slopes)
plus, the way that Iizuka talks in his interviews, it seems really obvious that he doesn't know anything about how the design of the classics work (speed in the classics is punishing? what?), and it seems that to him, the problem is that Sonic 4 didn't look enough like the classics for the classic fans.

so in Sonic Generations, you see a game that looks exactly like them, but doesn't work like them. so you get a green hill and a chemical plant that looks pretty boring and kinda like dumbed down versions of the originals (why would I want to play a weaker version of exact same level that I've been playing the past 20 years?) and that plays awkwardly in relation to the originals, and doesn't reward skill with speed, but instead, gives you a move that works as a Deus Ex Machinima, which is useful in every situation of the game besides slow and careful platforming.

Sounds familiar? It's because the Spin-Dash is a really dumbed down version of the Boost of Modern Sonic now. yaaaay.

The only level that I'm liking so far is Classic Sonic's City Escape (the truck mechanic is fucking brilliant, also, lots of interesting alternative paths and interesting ways to use them) and maybe Modern Sonic's Chemical Plant, but I haven't seen much of the level to judge.

Quote:In one part, the vocals are adjusted so that it sounds like Endless Mine from Sonic 3.
Everytime I hear the Endless Mine theme now, I can hear "Danger is lurking around every turn. Trust your feeling, got to live and learn."

I know Classic's gameplay isn't as true to the Genesis games as it should be, but I don't find it that bad. Still, if it matched Sonic 3 (&K) perfectly, it would have been nice. That is what you'd expect from Classic Sonic gameplay.

The coincidence with Endless Mine is purely a coincidence.

The remix of City Escape was made by Cash Cash (the same guys that made the theme song and ending credits theme for Sonic Colors), so I don't think they are such big fans of Sonic to dig down deep to such an underground (heh) Sonic song and do their remix to make it sound on purpose like it for a small section of the song that lasts two seconds

City Escape, by itself, has parts of its melody that are somewhat similar to Endless Mine (maybe both were composed by Jun Senoue, idk), so that sort of explains it better.

The annoying ear-raping autotune cannot be used as an excuse here. Cash Cash can just go eat a giant Dick Dick, their songs are fucking annoying and are literally the definition of what's bad in autotune.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to justify the audio-puke that is 'autotune'. I'd preferred they make a remix using Genesis instruments, make it fit amongst the 'upgraded' versions of the classic Classic Sonic stages.
The whole section of autotune sounds perfectly similar to the melody in Endless Mine, I even checked it, that I find it hard to believe it's coincidence.

I don't worry too much about the music, though. I'll get used to it eventually.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Rökkan - 08-07-2011

(08-07-2011, 08:55 AM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: The whole section of autotune sounds perfectly similar to the melody in Endless Mine, I even checked it, that I find it hard to believe it's coincidence.

I don't think you understand.

Do you think that someone that makes something like this

Would have the interest to do that on purpose or even have the wit to do that

It doesn't matter who or what made it, the similarity is there. By the way, they're remixing Sonic songs for a Sonic game. Maybe the idea was requested by SEGA or someone else.

If you think it's coincidence, go ahead and think so, but I think otherwise. That's how speculation works, I guess.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Garamonde - 08-07-2011

Ooookay guys we'll see what happens with the game.

Last gameplay video I saw (and IDR when that was), the game looked pretty good to me (not just the graphics). I think I remember Sonic looking a bit "heavier" than usual to me when jumping/moving/dashing etc. but overall I don't think it'll be as bad as anticipated. I already forgot if Hang Castle was in or not (memory bleah) but if it is I anticipate how they'll design it (and remix the theme).

EDIT: Crap I just looked and Hang Castle isn't in. :I

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Koopaul - 08-07-2011

No, its not City enough.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Cobalt Blue - 08-08-2011

this is how you had to create a song with a "classic retro" touch, without resorting to something as dumb as autotuner.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Iceman404 - 08-17-2011

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/08/mushroom-hill-zone-revealed-for-sonic-generations-3ds/
(Sonic Retro is receiving massive slow-down due to the spiked activity. lol)

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Rökkan - 08-17-2011

What worries me on that trailer is that there is almost absolutely nothing on it other than running. There is nothing that convinces me that either gameplay will actually present variety and interesting things to do rather than watch as Sonic runs through pretty landscapes :I

But there are a few interesting things, Chemical Plant has those chemical blobs of liquid, water, those shifting block platforms, and City Escape's got that truck, the skateboarding, the spin-grinding. Maybe it's because all evidence leads to the fact that each Sonic has just one act per level, and knowing that and how the levels are so short too (two minutes and a half long +/-), the focus of mindless running rather than the gimmicks and peculiarities of each level just weighs down a lot more.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Vipershark - 08-18-2011

Sonic retro says that there will be multiple acts for both sonics (5 acts per level iirc) though they're actually mission-based "acts" like find the chao, etc the way it was done in sonic adventure 2.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Rökkan - 08-18-2011

(08-18-2011, 02:12 PM)Vipershark Wrote: Sonic retro says that there will be multiple acts for both sonics (5 acts per level iirc) though they're actually mission-based "acts" like find the chao, etc the way it was done in sonic adventure 2.

yeah i don't want boring missions, i want stages.

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Kriven - 08-18-2011

I don't think missions will work out very well with the playstyles they've chosen...

RE: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Iceman404 - 08-19-2011