The VG Resource
Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles (/thread-17089.html)

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Jalopes - 06-24-2011

i had fairly high hopes for this game so it's kind of a shame that it's apparently not all that good

although I've only been hearing complaints about classic sonic so maybe modern sonic won't be too bad

still doesn't make it worth getting though if half the game is really that bad

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Rökkan - 06-24-2011

Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS Sonic games will be represented on the 3DS version.

No GameGear games though! Iizuka even laughed when he was asked about that, that cunt!

I'm guessing that the level list has only three different 'level tropes' to make it easier to do them - they'll re-use grass and ground of GHZ on Seaside Hill, they'll re-use that same grass on Planet Wisp, they'll re-use the metallic "plant" structures of Chemical Plant on Planet Wisp, and they'll re-use city models and textures on Speed Highway, Chemical Plant, City Escape, Crisis City and Rooftop Run.

And Sky Sanctuary it's because you have little to work with. I also love how in rereleases and all, they treat Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles as separate games, but not here!!!

Sonic Retro are echoing the same complaints over and over. Doubt that SEGA will fix them though!

Quote:I mean if they can set up a perfectly good and organized guide to the Genesis Sonic physics and how they work, not only is it hard for me to believe they haven't tried, but it makes it pretty hard for me at times to believe Sega has tried in some ways.

Some of it may just be that they just don't want to go for that kind of an engine, but its annoying to hear them talk as if they are going for a Genesis style engine and then give us something akin to a marinated Rush one.

I think I could still enjoy the game somewhat as it is, but not to the extent I'd like to. Definitely not the same way as the parts of the series I know and love. I'm at least hoping to be more pleased with Modern Sonic.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Cell Shaded Envy - 06-24-2011

I'm not going to make any assumptions on this game, as it seems like an unfinished product.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Shadowth117 - 06-24-2011

Its good to hear that Advance and DS Sonic levels will be in, but just tossing out Game Gear completely? Those games were great, especially considering how much they were limited by their hardware.

Ironically, those STILL played closer to Genesis classic Sonic than this new game simply because they still followed the same kind of gameplay design rules.

(06-24-2011, 12:36 PM)Lord Voldemort Wrote: I'm not going to make any assumptions on this game, as it seems like an unfinished product.

I want to agree with you, but they've pulled the same thing before. Sega seems sort of against delaying games to make them better which leads to a number of disappointments.

My favorite examples of that are this and this which were for some reason worked on simultaneously. Now I guess they split Sonic Team a bit to work on them, but whatever they did neither came out especially good. We all know it would have been terrible if they were delayed 6 months or so to get everything working properly and to better implement their game mechanics.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Kriven - 06-24-2011

Just played demo.

Had no idea what the fuck I kept running into, but it killed me.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Rökkan - 06-24-2011

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Iceman404 - 06-24-2011

(06-24-2011, 07:55 PM)Rökkan Wrote:

I choked on my Fanta.

Chimpo's hilarious.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - NICKtendo DS - 06-25-2011

I played the demo and TBQH I don't think it is as bad as you claim it is. Sure it's a little dodgy here and there and the instant spindash is redundant, but I enjoyed the demo and can't wait for the full release.

A little off-topic, I also enjoyed Sonic 4, which was also somewhat ill recieved. Sometimes I don't get the drama revolving around new Sonic games and the whole "Sonic Cycle" thing, but I guess that's just me.

Oh, and I did not die even once playing the demo.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Chaoxys - 06-25-2011

I didn't see another post with this, but if someone did post this already, sorry.
[video=youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyF_mi3ndI0[/video]

Anyways, I love this. I think it fits the idea of classic sonic and the location rather well. Also, although the calmness clashes with the action in the stage, it still works with it rather well in an odd way.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Jalopes - 06-25-2011

i kind of hate it

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Shadowth117 - 06-25-2011

There's not very much Sonic music that I dislike. Regardless of how the game itself turns out, I don't think I'll be dissapointed with the OST.

(06-25-2011, 08:58 AM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: I played the demo and TBQH I don't think it is as bad as you claim it is. Sure it's a little dodgy here and there and the instant spindash is redundant, but I enjoyed the demo and can't wait for the full release.

A little off-topic, I also enjoyed Sonic 4, which was also somewhat ill recieved. Sometimes I don't get the drama revolving around new Sonic games and the whole "Sonic Cycle" thing, but I guess that's just me.

Oh, and I did not die even once playing the demo.

And that's great if you enjoy the game for what it is. I can't speak for everyone, but personally I dislike how Sega claims that it plays a lot like the classic engine when it clearly does not. That was something I was really looking forward to and while I could probably stand what they gave in place to an extent, it shouldn't be treated as if it plays the same as the original Genesis games. The sad thing is that Sonic 4 did the same thing and I didn't purchase it for that reason. If I get Generations it will probably for the nostalgia factor and whether or not I decide I like modern Sonic's gameplay for it.

I also can't say I was pleased with the bugs there considering the length of the demo. I recall an area where I ran up a wall and, in an example of how wonderfully the games physics work, Sonic was sent flying to the left for no real reason which you can see here at about 0: 31. I also recall trying to go back through the loop you run down and discovered that if you jump while trying to reenter it you fall through floor. Great job, I know its SO hard to get things like that to work right...

Edit: Also, found this mod video on Retro:

Tell me that with a little fixing up and levels designed around that gameplay it wouldn't be awesome.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - GrooveMan.exe - 06-25-2011

Ok, the way he spindashed along rails was great. Modern Sonic on Classic states would probably take with very little issue.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Rökkan - 06-25-2011

(06-25-2011, 07:09 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: Ok, the way he spindashed along rails was great. Modern Sonic on Classic states would probably take with very little issue.

It did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orT1_jSfOcQ

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Woppet* - 06-25-2011

I like this demo a lot. Looks way nicer than Sonic 4 ever did.
I really wish the demo had a playable modern Sonic section though.

I'll probably play this. Looks fun to just chill on.

Know what everyone's problem is?
You all need to let go of the Genesis games. Sonic will probably never be like that again.
I just treat the new games as a completely different series. And buy them when they're half decent (Unleashed/Colours)

I never have any expectations. For all i care Sega can do what the h*ck they like, and if i think it looks cool I'll buy it. If i don't think it does, i wont.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Untitled - 06-25-2011

I think people are trying to find more ways for them to bitch about the game, I mean seriously it seems a lot better than previous attempts to bring back the series to its former glory, all this overanalysis is a little too much in my opinion. Take my post as simple as it is, and it's probably been said before, but nowadays some people try to find more reason to hate it than to like it, second something is "off" theres a lot of ranting. I think Sega is learning from their mistakes, just give it time. As long the game is good that's all that matters, of course it isn't gonna be perfect, the original wasn't either.