The VG Resource
Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles (/thread-17089.html)

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Garamonde - 05-25-2011

You also can't say Espio wasn't cool. For me, I love Vector and Charmy, but Espio was more involved with the series and he has NINJA POWER!

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Iceman404 - 05-25-2011

The Sonic Series should've just stuck with the main three, Amy, Robotnik/Eggman, and the Chaotix.
Maybe add new characters each game for plot, but never use them again afterwards.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Vipershark - 05-25-2011

The main 3, amy, robotnik, the chaotix, shadow, and blaze.
That's all that's necessary.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Omegajak - 05-25-2011

(05-25-2011, 10:16 PM)Vipershark Wrote: The main 3, amy, robotnik, the chaotix, shadow, and blaze.

Sonic Generations, Sonic. With only Sonic. Only thing necessary.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Iceman404 - 05-25-2011

(05-25-2011, 11:30 PM)Omegajak Wrote:
(05-25-2011, 10:16 PM)Vipershark Wrote: The main 3, amy, robotnik, the chaotix, shadow, and blaze.

No, not really.

For one, Sonic alone is not very fun compared to having Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles and their extra abilities as well.
For two, a surprising amount of people would like to see Classic Tails, Knuckles, and Amy as well.
For three, Sega has acknowledged this fact and have officially concluded that many other important characters will be in the game, making the possibility of the classic designs of the other characters likely. Obviously not playable, but yeah.

In fact, Sonic was never very fun alone, mostly why I hate Sonic 4, hardly played Sonic 1, liked Sonic 2, and still play S3&K.

EDIT: Which brings me to another fact. I love Classic Vector.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Rosencrantz - 05-26-2011

But then who will Sonic fight in the end??

Will he... have to fight himself? In a struggle between manhood and childhood that eternally rages in the games until this one final climax, where the two opposing personalities fight for the ultimate control of Sonic? And this will result in Sonic either embracing his childhood roots and throw away his current care-free nature, or clinging to the present and ultimately leaving the past as a to-be-forgotten memory?

That shit's really deep, man.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Vipershark - 05-26-2011

I agree with Iceman on the sonic alone thing.

While I don't /dislike/ sonic being the only playable character, I like the option of having other characters to play as.

This is one of the reasons why Sonic 1 and Sonic CD are my least favorite games from the Genesis era. They're not bad games by any stretch, but imo they just aren't as good as the others. Of course, there are other (much more significant) reasons, but the fact that sonic is the only playable character is still a factor.

(before rokkan gets angry at the sonic cd comment, don't forget that i replayed it during nostalgia week and loved it; i just personally don't rank it as high as S2 and S3K.)

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Kriven - 05-26-2011

In order to clean up all of the convolution Sega has created with this franchise, I propose an idea....

CRISIS! On Infinite Mobius!

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Omegajak - 05-26-2011

(05-25-2011, 11:55 PM)Iceman404 Wrote:

No, not really.

For one, Sonic alone is not very fun compared to having Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles and their extra abilities as well.
For two, a surprising amount of people would like to see Classic Tails, Knuckles, and Amy as well.
For three, Sega has acknowledged this fact and have officially concluded that many other important characters will be in the game, making the possibility of the classic designs of the other characters likely. Obviously not playable, but yeah.

In fact, Sonic was never very fun alone, mostly why I hate Sonic 4, hardly played Sonic 1, liked Sonic 2, and still play S3&K.

EDIT: Which brings me to another fact. I love Classic Vector.

"SEGA The formula is S3&K gameplay that's all we need. create new scenario, add SOME of the Chaotix watch money print, but boats real big boats."

(05-26-2011, 10:27 AM)Kriven Wrote: In order to clean up all of the convolution Sega has created with this franchise, I propose an idea....

CRISIS! On Infinite Mobius!
Something to that effect already happened in the Archie adventure series Evil Sonic became Scourge the hedgehog. There are now only 7 chaos emeralds. Blah blah blah.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Rökkan - 05-26-2011

(05-25-2011, 08:46 PM)Omegajak Wrote: You can always play Sonic CD and 1-3 right?

This is the most retarded argument, just fyi.

Yes, I can. But I won't be replaying these games every fucking time when I want a new experience that builds upon the basis of those games/improves upon them.

You can always play your favorite games too, why fucking demand games that builds upon those, right? You can always just play Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, why ask for a game that inspires on some of the elements of those two games to create a new one, right? Why have Super Mario Galaxy 2 if you can play the first one? It's not like Super Mario Galaxy 2 had really great new levels, new abilities and ideas, and was a game as good or better than the original, right?

Or you know, I could be content with just a really good game. Like Colors was.

(05-26-2011, 02:49 AM)Vipershark Wrote: I agree with Iceman on the sonic alone thing.

While I don't /dislike/ sonic being the only playable character, I like the option of having other characters to play as.

This is one of the reasons why Sonic 1 and Sonic CD are my least favorite games from the Genesis era. They're not bad games by any stretch, but imo they just aren't as good as the others. Of course, there are other (much more significant) reasons, but the fact that sonic is the only playable character is still a factor.

(before rokkan gets angry at the sonic cd comment, don't forget that i replayed it during nostalgia week and loved it; i just personally don't rank it as high as S2 and S3K.)

i'm not angry, I know you enjoyed Sonic CD, gosh.

I agree with you on Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Playing as both Sonic and Knuckles and going on different paths does add to replayability, and makes the game overall bigger and even more enjoyable.

But Tails doesn't really add much to Sonic 2 or Sonic 3. It does add on Sonic 3, but only for beginners - because it's Sonic in "Easy Mode". But not really for better players, playing as Tails gives you the same levels and everything than Sonic, just that Tails can "cheat" and fly to get to places easier. But on Sonic 2, it's just a sprite swap, it doesn't add anything to the game.

Now, if you're talking about Sonic and Tails co-op, then IDK. Because going with a CPU isn't co-op, it's more like "have a dork CPU that kills you"-op, and the last time I went co-op with a friend was a long time ago. I need to play Sonic 2 or 3 with a skilled player and see how does cooperative play helps on stages. I know that if both players run on the screw thing on Metropolis, it goes way faster than just one player running on it, don't know if the rest of the game is designed so that two players, in cooperation, can succeed better at it and do things that one player alone can't.

Besides hitting the boss first and letting the other player fucking die or something.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Kosheh - 05-27-2011

(05-26-2011, 06:01 PM)Rökkan Wrote: Now, if you're talking about Sonic and Tails co-op, then IDK. Because going with a CPU isn't co-op, it's more like "have a dork CPU that kills you"-op, and the last time I went co-op with a friend was a long time ago. I need to play Sonic 2 or 3 with a skilled player and see how does cooperative play helps on stages. I know that if both players run on the screw thing on Metropolis, it goes way faster than just one player running on it, don't know if the rest of the game is designed so that two players, in cooperation, can succeed better at it and do things that one player alone can't.

Besides hitting the boss first and letting the other player fucking die or something.
I don't think this is possible; pretty sure the tagalong sidekick was always a gimmick and not a viable co-op option. The camera focuses on Sonic, not the both of them and being that it doesn't take much for Tails to get left behind. Being Tails becomes more of a chore, as trying to help Sonic just kinda frustrates the Sonic player [grabbing item boxes, telling the Sonic player "STOP FOR A SECOND LET ME TAKE YOU TO THE BOX" and the five seconds it takes for the Sonic player to "mount" Tails] as the two people are not thinking the exact same thing at the exact same time -- like, you can't possibly work it out so that the Sonic and Tails will attack bosses one after another in succession; the boss AI moves too fast and presents too little opportunity for it to work. :/
Though it isn't a canon game and just a fangame/hacking project, Sonic 1 Megamix made each character's "jobs" work extremely well (Sonic/Mighty for speed, Tails/Shadow for exploration, Knuckles for alternate route play) and utilized the level design in each stage to reflect that

it's too bad Sega isn't
you know
looking at that for suggestions

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Garamonde - 05-27-2011

I play as Tails pretty well. Cute

EDIT: ...

Alright then, fine, I want Omega again.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Gors - 05-28-2011

no one asked who could play as Tails well, so that response was uneeded :/

tbh, I am not that excited for this (yeah, it's cool and all but never was a Sonic player), but I like what SEGA's doing here. My friend has been showing screenshots and movies from it and it looks really cool.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Keychain - 06-01-2011

Would be fantastic if they add the other characters and their older selves. But I guess at this rate it'd be asking for too much and pushing our luck.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Omegajak - 06-01-2011

(05-26-2011, 06:01 PM)Rökkan Wrote:
(05-25-2011, 08:46 PM)Omegajak Wrote: You can always play Sonic CD and 1-3 right?

This is the most retarded argument, just fyi.

Yes, I can. But I won't be replaying these games every fucking time when I want a new experience that builds upon the basis of those games/improves upon them.

You can always play your favorite games too, why fucking demand games that builds upon those, right? You can always just play Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, why ask for a game that inspires on some of the elements of those two games to create a new one, right? Why have Super Mario Galaxy 2 if you can play the first one? It's not like Super Mario Galaxy 2 had really great new levels, new abilities and ideas, and was a game as good or better than the original, right?

Or you know, I could be content with just a really good game. Like Colors was.

I see comedic endeavor is wasted on you in terms of Sonic Rokkan.