The VG Resource
Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Rev Up Those Sonic Cycles (/thread-17089.html)

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - GrooveMan.exe - 04-15-2011

Naw, Mega64 are pretty unfunny. Some of their earlier stuff makes me smile - if only because I remember it from when I first watched it - but like pretty much every internet video celebrity, they stagnated and haven't aged with their audience.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Ashura - 04-15-2011

I dunno, I really hate when these "big name" video series verbally abuse Sonic. I looked forward to watching new eps of Extra Credits until they jumped on that hatewagon; in one ep they answered some retard's question on "why sonic sucks now" in a very unrealistic cop-out way. That episode was a disaster IMO; not only was it too fast (like two minutes long) it never mentioned Sonic Colors (but it showed a screenshot from the teaser in a really rushed slideshow) and its reasons were ridiculously obvious ("sonic never translated into 3D well, got into 'worse and worse' development companies, give it to a better company etc"). For a series that enlightens its fans by pandering to both sides of the argument (which it does a lot like the Piracy episode), that episode was just a one-sided beatdown on the franchise altogether. Protip: Beating down a series that's trying to improve itself since 06 and making fun of things about past mistakes are getting kind of old! If they're just going to make fun of any franchise, they should actually play the better games (like colors!) and make fun of their faults (sorry, no "GRR TOO MANY CHARACTERS" or "GRR TOO MANY GAMEPLAY MODES", actually try harder to troll the fans)

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Kosheh - 04-15-2011

why? sonic is a pretty dissapointing experience through and through, except if my friends work there then it's awesome because they suggest the best drink mixes

But I think we're talking about the videogames??? which are equally dissapointing - what's the deal with "HURR DURR WE LISTENED YOU GOT. YOU CAN NOW ONLY PLAY AS SONIC"
I think by "new friends" we were referring to the fact that we didn't like any of sonic's new friends after 1996. The great parts about Sonic 2 and 3 is that I could play the same level through once with three different characters and it was a unique experience every time - sonic's speedrunning, tails' exploration and knuckles BREAKING DOWN WALLS IN OLD GAMES TO GO TO TOTALLY NEW PLACES

i don't want to play completely different stages with different objectives with 5 different characters

my point: genesis sonic stages was bangin' level design. it's like as soon as sonic went 3D level design just...died
Colors and Unleashed proved that they now have potential to create great stages again with multiple paths but seriously, you don't have to lie to me with "power ups" that turn me into different things - you can give me tails, knuckles, and maybe a new friend if you're willing to cut the bullshit and maintain the "sonic culture" - no fishing, no befriending of wildlife, no mecha zapping - remember cream in sonic advance 2? tamer of bloodthirsty chao?
she was perfect, sega Smile until she opened her mouth.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Rökkan - 04-15-2011

(04-15-2011, 01:31 AM)Innocence Wrote: Hahahaha, the irony here is that Mega64 hasn't made a good video since 2006

Seriously, people who like Mega64 should raise their standards a bit. Every time they make something new, it always ends up unfunny. They should have ended their little sideshows long ago. The quality of their videos plummeted to shit-tier levels, and they still haven't recovered since

unlike a certain blue hedgehog Cool

Uhhh, first, I also hate any sort of anti-sonic media shit that goes on about "oh sonic is retarded nowadays" but don't pinpoint at all why. Like it's just cool to hate Sonic and Sonic fans. Point in case: Everyone was making fun of Sonic fans when Sonic Unleashed came out, saying that how could a game that features something as ridiculous as a "werewolf Sonic" sell so much, saying that Sonic fans would buy anything SEGA releases without any further question. Then, when SONIC 4 came out, everyone still made fun of Sonic fans for saying that they're complaining too much! Oh gee, I wonder why is that? Is the fandom bipolar or are the ones criticizing generalizing pieces of shit?

However, I love that Mega64 video, because it is true. Just Classic Sonic appearing there, although it is very impressive, doesn't say anything about whether the game is going to be good or not, and any judgement should be held off to when it releases, specially because hype is a really terrible thing - you won't enjoy the game more if you hype it, and if the game ends up disappointing you in some way, the hype will make the disappointment be a lot bigger and meaningful. And yes, the message about nostalgia is true - we shouldn't be too stuck on what we liked as a kid, we should grow up and re-analyze what we like, and learn to let go of certain things if it's only nostalgia that brings you there.

Also, don't take that video so personal, it's not like this video represents an in-depth opinion of all of them on what Sonic is nowadays - Rocco himself said that Colors definitely looked better than the rest of Sonic's recent games, even though apparently he didn't play it yet.

Also, are you and Grooveman serious? Since 2006 Mega64 has evolved and turned way better than what it was. I regret buying Version 1 and 2 of Mega64 because I can't stand the humor they had before, but now, they're the funniest people on the internet nowadays, no joke. Not only their videos are much more entertaining, but their podcast is one of the best internet podcasts out there, they're really entertaining and awesome. Plus, along with a weekly podcast, they bring up new videos every week. And if you're a really, really big fan of them, you can also follow their personal channels that gets video uploads every day.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Clutch - 04-15-2011

(04-15-2011, 12:20 PM)Kosheh Wrote: what's the deal with "HURR DURR WE LISTENED YOU GOT. YOU CAN NOW ONLY PLAY AS SONIC"
I think by "new friends" we were referring to the fact that we didn't like any of sonic's new friends after 1996. The great parts about Sonic 2 and 3 is that I could play the same level through once with three different characters and it was a unique experience every time - sonic's speedrunning, tails' exploration and knuckles BREAKING DOWN WALLS IN OLD GAMES TO GO TO TOTALLY NEW PLACES

Yeah, I kinda hate all the boner-popping over Sonic being the only playable character. Tails and Knuckles in the old games were fine as they were optional, had similar gameplay goals, and were arguably more fun to use than Sonic himself was.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Goemar - 04-17-2011

I think the lack of Tails and Knuckles is a good thing. Not because they aren't awesome (because they are) but because I don't think Sega could use them in a good way at all.

Kosheh is pretty bang on the mark about how they should be used but you know Sega won't do that. They'll be all the different level nonsense that filled Sonic Adventure (1&2) or some really poor team thing (aka Sonic Heroes). Sega at the moment are struggling to get Sonic right - asking them to include more than Sonic as playable would just bring them back to square one.

Sonic Colours was a good step, it's not a masterpiece but it was a good step, I'm hoping it leads to another good step and not just a higher fall.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - DioShiba - 04-17-2011

So basically Sega is just going to ditch sonic friends entirely and focus on sonic in the next few games

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Vipershark - 04-17-2011

it's unfortunate that knuckles and tails count as sonic friends

(04-17-2011, 01:44 PM)Vipershark Wrote: it's unfortunate that knuckles and tails count as sonic friends

It's always been like that

deal with it.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Alpha Six - 04-17-2011

(04-17-2011, 03:07 PM)Wakko Warner Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 01:44 PM)Vipershark Wrote: it's unfortunate that knuckles and tails count as sonic friends

deal with it.
Except it hasn't.

(04-17-2011, 04:20 PM)Alpha Six Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 03:07 PM)Wakko Warner Wrote:

deal with it.
Except it hasn't.

not in my opinion.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - a babyass man - 04-17-2011

congrats on a successful rebuttal

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Kriven - 04-17-2011

(04-17-2011, 06:41 PM)Wakko Warner Wrote: not in my opinion.

Your opinion is kind of unimportant when dealing with the accepted opinion of a larger population.

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - GrooveMan.exe - 04-18-2011

OH GOD I AM JIZZING EVERYWHERE NNNNNNNGH

RE: Warm up the Sonic Cycle - Candescence - 04-18-2011

And now, a far less positive reaction to balance out the above post.

Looks pretty. That's the only good thing I'll say.

Unfortunately, it's Unleashed-style, so my interest has more or less plummeted. And Sonic Colours' 2.5D gameplay was terrible. That, and I want Sonic Team to stop using 2.5D as a goddamn crutch to mask their inability to make a good 3D Sonic game.