The VG Resource
TSR PokeDex Project - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Spriting and Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-14.html)
+------ Forum: Sprite Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-15.html)
+------ Thread: TSR PokeDex Project (/thread-15396.html)

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Koopaul - 04-29-2011

Not always. Timburr is based off of construction work.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Cshad - 04-29-2011

So? I said all Pokemon based off fighting styles are fighting type Pokemon, not that all fighting type Pokemon are based off of fighting styles.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Sengir - 04-30-2011

why does it have to be rock paper scissors?

why not something better like

Male - Ghost
Female - Ghost
Neutral - Normal

or

Mind - Psychic
Body - Fighting
Spirit - Ghost

or

Comet - Ice
Asteroid - Rock
Meteor - Fire
Eastern Religions:

Bhudda Boulder - Rock/Psychic
Zoroastrian Star - Fire/Psychic
Hindi Nature God?????????? (idk much about hinuism) - Grass/Psychic

History of Games:

Bone playing piece - Rock
Supercomputer with small SpaceWar!! screen - Steel
Handheld console - Electric

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Perseus - 04-30-2011

One of those would probably be the better option instead of Rock Paper Scissors. It'll be simpler than making the Rock Paper Scissors trio have a type triangle that makes sense and everyone will agree on

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - mutantyoshi - 04-30-2011

Out of the three above, I like mind body and spirit.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - NICKtendo DS - 04-30-2011

Mind, body and spirit sound like it could be the main trio like Palkia, Dialga, Giratina etc.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Teabagger9777 - 04-30-2011

i like the comet, meteor and asteroid idea

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Koopaul - 04-30-2011

Well I kind of wanted to see something very different. We already have a tone of space rock Pokemon thanks to the third gen. I just don't understand why everyone thinks the Roshambo thing is so complicated.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Devicho - 04-30-2011

(04-30-2011, 02:10 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: Mind, body and spirit sound like it could be the main trio like Palkia, Dialga, Giratina etc.
Actually, Uxie, Azelf and Mesprit are already essentially he mind, body and spirit trio. Uxie is knowledge, and thus mind, and Mesprit is emotion, or spirit. Azelf is willpower, but IIRC (Don't feel like looking it up.) in a legend, causing harm to Azelf is said the basically immobilize whoever harmed it as they lack the will willpower to do anything.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - stache - 04-30-2011

(04-30-2011, 09:39 PM)Koopaul Wrote: Well I kind of wanted to see something very different. We already have a tone of space rock Pokemon thanks to the third gen. I just don't understand why everyone thinks the Roshambo thing is so complicated.

Well it kind of is. We need to make them three types that go in a cycle, and types that correspond to what they are. That's complicated.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - supersmashbrawl - 04-30-2011

Just a suggestion, how about a raven for the bird section.
and Maggot for the worm section

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Koopaul - 05-01-2011

(04-30-2011, 09:54 PM)( }: Wrote: Well it kind of is. We need to make them three types that go in a cycle, and types that correspond to what they are. That's complicated.

Not true, I've said this before: type doesn't always mean what a Pokemon is. I've used Trapinch, Vibrava, and Flygon as a grand example. They are bugs but they are NOT Bug type.

There was a great article on Bulbapedia on this, that a Pokemon's type is not based on what they are, but rather their habits and habitats. This is why Drilbur is Ground type but not actually made of dirt!

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - NICKtendo DS - 05-01-2011

[Image: jankentrio3.jpg]
Here we have a trio that might work.
Based on both the Janken concept and the space rocks. The circle is balanced as they have abilities that cancel out the main type of the other member of the trio.
Clockwise from left:

Comegen (Comet+(Nitro)gen)
Type: Steel/Ice
Space Debris Pokémon
Ability: Levitate (Cancel Ground moves)

It's tail is actually mist caused by the intense cold energy inside its body.

Heateor (Heat+Meteor)
Type: Rock/Fire
Space Debris Pokémon
Ability: Ice Proof (Cancel Ice moves)

It has a molten core. Loaded with energy, it needs to purge by flying at top speed.

Astorb (Asteroid/Astro+Orb/Orbit)
Type: Rock/Ground
Space Debris Pokémon
Ability: Heat Proof (Cancel Fire moves)

During its journey through space, debris got caught in its gavitational pull, forming its tail.

As you can see, their main type is double super effective against one and doesn't affect the other.
I hope this settles the whole trio deal.

Neshdah (Ganesh+Buddha)
Type: Fight/Dragon
Embodiment Pokémon

This Pokémon represents the body which contains the inner being. A single stomp on the ground sends tremors felt all over the world.

For the first two versions I was thinking of Neshdah (body) and spirit, and for the third version mind.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Wes - 05-01-2011

Sorry to say, but it actually doesn't really work out that well. Adding second types makes everything much more complicated, and the abilities don't really work. It doesn't matter if the "Main" type is resisted because if there are two types, they are both equally valid when determining damage. Here's a list of all of their weaknesses and resistances, not taking into account their abilities.

Steel/Ice
Weak to
--Fight (4x)
--Fire (4x)
--Ground
Resists
--Bug
--Dark
--Dragon
--Ghost
--Flying
--Grass
--Ice (1/4x)
--Normal
--Psychic
--Steel
Immune
--Poison

Rock/Fire
Weak to
--Fight
--Ground (4x)
--Water (4x)
--Rock
Resists
--Ice
--Bug
--Fire (1/4x)
--Normal
--Flying
--Poison

Rock/Ground
Weak to
--Fight
--Ground
--Steel
--Ice
--Water (4x)
--Grass (4x)
Resists
--Normal
--Flying
--Rock
--Fire
--Poison (1/4x)

So Comegen is double weak to Heateor and would be immune to Astorb with its ability. That's fine. But Rock does normal damage to it, so Astorb could still get STAB on a normal-damage move against it.

Heateor already resists Ice, so making him immune is almost redundant. Again, Steel does normal damage to it, so Comegen would get STAB on a normal-damaging attack.

Astorb, like Heateor with ice, already resists Fire, so the ability make little sense. But neither Steel nor Ice are double super effective, so that throws it off of balance with the other two. Also, Heatproof is already an ability that cuts damage from fire moves or burn in half. So Fire would do 1/4 but not be immune. I'm assuming you meant to make a new ability that canceled fire altogether.

Essentially, with the abilities, we get this.

Comegen take double or quadruple damage from Heteor and normal or no damage from Astorb
Heteor takes double or quadruple damage from Astorb and normal or no from Comegen.
Astorb takes double or double (not quadruple) from Comegen and half or no damage from Heateor (or half and a quarter is we use the existing heatproof ability)

Overall the designs are pretty good and I love the names, but I think they'd fit much better as some regular pokemon as opposed to our legendary trio. The double typing throws things off, and I think you did some calculations wrong when determining Astorb's type compared to Steel, Ice, and Rock.

If we want to go with the typing upper hand thing (each one completely beats one and completely loses to another), then we should stick to just one type per pokemon. I'm not saying we have to do this sort of typing, but it was neccessary for the rock-paper-scissor thing. If we don't do that, then the typing doesn't really matter all that much.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Chaoxys - 05-01-2011

(I meant to post this last night but the site was down)

Yeah I'll be honesty, Rock Paper Scissors seem like a weak trio theme, at least as a main trio. I mean, as it is, current pokemon trios are a bit more serious than the older ones, and I think we should follow that. I mean the trios are usually story important. What kinda pokemon game will have a story that will rely on Rock paper scissors?

Maybe something like "Hope, Despair, Neutral" in the sense of an undecided future. Think about it in terms of a story. You'd want Hope, bad guy wants Despair, it ends with Neutral which would be where the people make the future, blah blah blah.

Thats more of an example than anything else. I know this won't be a game but it doesn't mean we can't make it a bit more logical than just flat out "This is what it is because I said so".

Granted, most current gens have a minor and story trio, so RPS could be the minor trio.