The VG Resource
TSR PokeDex Project - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Spriting and Pixel Art (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-14.html)
+------ Forum: Sprite Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-15.html)
+------ Thread: TSR PokeDex Project (/thread-15396.html)

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Wes - 02-12-2011

I like the leech idea a lot, but some the design choices are a little weird. it looks like it gets smaller when it evolves. maybe have the first stage be just the big mouth on one end have that tail, then it evolves the mouth moves to the bottom and it grows that elastic thing to stick to ceilings. The final stage would kind of stay the same, exacpt without the green spike arms things (they seem out of place to me. Maybe it's because they're really long. Smaller spines maybe?

Also I colored Baegel's design from that last page to give a better idea of how I envision this guy looking (also I changed the design on the shell to some wind-looking pattern to go with the steam motif).
[Image: fakemoncopy.png]
This is assuming we go with the Water/Fire typing, which I happen to like a lot for this particular Pokemon. But what do you all think?

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - FlyingMonkey - 02-12-2011

To be honest I think that the red should be swapped to a light pastel yellow color. Plus, the toothpaste needs to go! (JK) And the Fire/Water idea kinda throws me off.

Also:
[Image: startersu.png]
Been wanting to get some help with the line art. I'm motivated to get the starters complete ASAP.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - LeleleleMAXIMUM - 02-12-2011

i think the problem with the sprites at this stage is they look too "platform-like." specially the water one.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - ~DrakoRero~ - 02-12-2011

I'll give it another go just to be sure! ^^
[Image: ninkoandninki.png]
I think I finally pulled it off!
Both have been turned into Dark-Types, instead of Dark/Fighting, that will be left for their evolutions.
Get this, both are from different areas and clans, one area will be filled with Ninkos and the other Ninki's, they're rival clans.
Idea: Ninko ( Cat ) learns Substitute, while Ninki ( Raccoon Dog ) learns a new Transform-like move.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - KP Shadow - 02-13-2011

So... I guess everybody forgot about it, but... how about the seasonal reaper Pokémon that I came up with?

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - NICKtendo DS - 02-13-2011

(02-12-2011, 08:22 PM)Wes Wrote: I like the leech idea a lot, but some the design choices are a little weird. it looks like it gets smaller when it evolves.

The proportions are off. Bloggot is no bigger than a Diglett, Latchac is half a grown man's size and Leechulu towers above them all being around the size of a Tyranitar. Also, Latchac is a kind of coccoon, though not truly one.
Their designs were inspired by Pinsir, Tentacool and Giggi and Gigginox from Monster Hunter Tri, though I tried to avoid copying.
The red areas are translucent sacs containing blood it drank. The green areas are fluorescent, kinda glow-in-the-dark. The white is its velvetty hide, smooth, soft and disgustingly gooey.
Latchac's tail actually has a small maw in it.
Leechulu was designed to be absolutely bizarre.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - LeleleleMAXIMUM - 02-13-2011

@kp shadow:
not to be mean, but you didn't even comment on anyone else's after posting it, either.
that said, the pitch sounds way too much like duskull, even with the changing colors.

why don't you give us even a rough sketch of what you have in mind, so's we can understand your idea better?

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Baegal - 02-13-2011

(02-12-2011, 09:08 PM)~Drakocat~ Wrote: I'll give it another go just to be sure! ^^
[Image: ninkoandninki.png]
I think I finally pulled it off!
Both have been turned into Dark-Types, instead of Dark/Fighting, that will be left for their evolutions.
Get this, both are from different areas and clans, one area will be filled with Ninkos and the other Ninki's, they're rival clans.
Idea: Ninko ( Cat ) learns Substitute, while Ninki ( Raccoon Dog ) learns a new Transform-like move.
These look much better, I think. But I think you need to keep remembering that these are pokemon. They don't exactly come from "clans". Don't think of it as "rival clans". Pokemon, if anything, are like animals on steroids. Think of it like they're different regional pokemon, like shellos and gastrodon, or just closely related pokemon, like nidoran.

To be honest, I don't think they really need evos, but if you want, maybe they should only have one evo?

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - The_Snare - 02-13-2011

Oh, now you've come up with something great! I would totally have Ninki on my team.

Props.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - FlyingMonkey - 02-13-2011

(02-12-2011, 08:51 PM)Murderbeard Wrote: i think the problem with the sprites at this stage is they look too "platform-like." specially the water one.
I think it's because the grass starter's perspective is slightly off. As is the water starter. They should both be facing the same direction as the fire starter.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Koopaul - 02-13-2011

(02-13-2011, 08:29 AM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: Leechulu was designed to be absolutely bizarre.

My question is why would a leech evolve into Cthulu? Wouldn't it make more sense for a Squid to evolve into Cthulu?
(02-13-2011, 09:12 AM)Baegal Wrote: These look much better, I think. But I think you need to keep remembering that these are pokemon. They don't exactly come from "clans". Don't think of it as "rival clans". Pokemon, if anything, are like animals on steroids. Think of it like they're different regional pokemon, like shellos and gastrodon, or just closely related pokemon, like nidoran.

Not entirely. there are plenty of Pokemon who are a part of rival groups. Look at Pinsir and Heracross. Or Zangoose and Seviper. Those are know to be rival Pokemon. Also there are pokemon who train themselves and practice their skills together like the Machop line who are said to be very competitive.

I think these Pokemon should be version exclusives too.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - ~DrakoRero~ - 02-14-2011

Actually, I actually did decide that they will have one evolution ^^, version exclusives was also an idea I had in mind.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Proton - 02-14-2011

(02-13-2011, 10:38 PM)Koopaul Wrote: Not entirely. there are plenty of Pokemon who are a part of rival groups. Look at Pinsir and Heracross. Or Zangoose and Seviper.

Yes entirely.
Draco's were the same species.

Pinsir and Heracross / Zangoose and Seviper are different pokemon entirely.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - Sketchasaurus - 02-14-2011

I like the two Ninja Pokés (although if it were me, I wouldn't have put the bandages on them, but that's just me and my design style)

The rivalry makes sense on many levels:
Cats vs. (raccoon)Dogs
Male vs. Female

The two rivalries previously stated (Heracross vs. Pinsir/Zangoose vs. Seviper) have their own "theme" based in reality;
Heracross and Pinsir; in Japan (and other neighboring countries) people hold "bugfights" which include Stag beetles(Pinsir) Japanese rhinoceros beetles(Heracross) and others. The rivalry between the two pokémon is symbolic of the practice of insect fighting. It's also worth noting that these two Pokémon could be considered very closely related due to the fact that they are both types of beetles.

Zangoose vs. Seviper; the rivalry's connection to reality is simple, Mongooses fight snakes.

Although Ninko and Ninki would be this region's "Nidoran" they aren't exactly the same "species" anyways. One is a Cat and the other is a Dog. They're designed to look similar because in a sense, their "clan feud" could be representative of the "battle" between cats and dogs.

In regards to the Leech concept; I find it interesting, but it feels a little bit like a Metroid enemy to me.

RE: TSR PokeDex Project - redblueyellow - 02-15-2011

Although I haven't thought up any sketches yet, I thought that I'd bring a few concepts of pokemon:

-yin/yang fish (would kind of work like plusle and minun somehow with their abilities and similarities), water type
-tiger (maybe a two-evolution line), fire type
-moose, normal type
-tarsier, normal/grass type?
-snowshoe hare, changes type for the seasons/terrain
-snowman, ice type
-shark pokemon, water type

Anyways, they're just ideas right now, thought I'd put my two cents in.