The VG Resource
How do you rip Models - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: The Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-85.html)
+----- Forum: The Models Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-50.html)
+------ Forum: Model Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-54.html)
+------ Thread: How do you rip Models (/thread-13280.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: How do you rip Models - Garamonde - 10-29-2011

And um, when I get ready to post a model, is there some place I can post it just to show it, so that you can see it and I can find out whether it's good enough to submit or not so I wouldn't make a pointless submission thread?

RE: How do you rip Models - Roxas358 - 10-29-2011

(10-29-2011, 08:01 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: And um, when I get ready to post a model, is there some place I can post it just to show it, so that you can see it and I can find out whether it's good enough to submit or not so I wouldn't make a pointless submission thread?

I'm not completely sure on this, but I would go here. Wink

RE: How do you rip Models - Garamonde - 10-29-2011

Ah okay, I think I know what I'll do:

I'll make a thread for my first model rip in Model Discussion (or Model Projects like you linked to, whichever seems better), then I can improve it there if need-be, and once I submit it I can post any future models I'm not sure of in my submission topic. Big Grin

Thank you for replying. Smile

RE: How do you rip Models - Roxas358 - 10-29-2011

(10-29-2011, 08:59 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Ah okay, I think I know what I'll do:

I'll make a thread for my first model rip in Model Discussion (or Model Projects like you linked to, whichever seems better), then I can improve it there if need-be, and once I submit it I can post any future models I'm not sure of in my submission topic. Big Grin

Thank you for replying. Smile

Sounds good. Wink

RE: How do you rip Models - viperzerofsx - 10-31-2011

question I have opened a game archive and found the model format but it is an unknown format. does anyone know were I can find a guide to convert it to a standard one, anyone for that matter

RE: How do you rip Models - Roxas358 - 10-31-2011

(10-31-2011, 10:04 AM)viperzerofsx Wrote: question I have opened a game archive and found the model format but it is an unknown format. does anyone know were I can find a guide to convert it to a standard one, anyone for that matter

What's the model format and the game? This kind of information can help people, help You. Smile

RE: How do you rip Models - viperzerofsx - 10-31-2011

its an iphone ace combat xi the format is xmd I don't think there is anything for it so I was looking to see what i need to know to convert it

RE: How do you rip Models - Roxas358 - 10-31-2011

(10-31-2011, 10:54 AM)viperzerofsx Wrote: its an iphone ace combat xi the format is xmd I don't think there is anything for it so I was looking to see what i need to know to convert it

Well, if no one can help You here, maybe Xentax would be a good place to go.

RE: How do you rip Models - Garamonde - 11-07-2011

Okay I have another question, lol.

What would be the easiest (or one of the easiest) games to rip a model from that anyone can think of (aiming for Wii games here since I've been told they're easy)?

Asking for suggestions because any game I'd want to rip from would probably be hard (unless maybe Pikmin or Mario Party 8 but IDK how those would turn out). Tongue

Preferably something more lighthearted (I.E.: no Resident Evil or something lol), and would like if it already has the rigging and whatnot and not have to mess with screwed textures, etc.. Any help is appreciated as I do want to learn model ripping! Big Grin

RE: How do you rip Models - Roxas358 - 11-07-2011

Wii games that have .brres are defiantly easy, But You will need a soft Modded Wii with cleanrip to get the files from the disk.

Here is a list of all the games that come with .brres.

You may need the fpktool for some of the games, but that's not to hard to use.

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are easy as well, and You don't need a PS2 to get the files from the games.

I'll help You if You need it. Smile

RE: How do you rip Models - Garamonde - 11-07-2011

Oh cool, thanks! Mario Kart Wii sounds pretty good, though I thought you could export models from Dolphin?

I have the game (my cousin owns it), but my Wii isn't here in the same house as my computer (and setting up the Wii here isn't really possible)... is there some other way?

RE: How do you rip Models - Roxas358 - 11-07-2011

(11-07-2011, 11:40 AM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Oh cool, thanks! Mario Kart Wii sounds pretty good, though I thought you could export models from Dolphin?

I have the game (my cousin owns it), but my Wii isn't here in the same house as my computer (and setting up the Wii here isn't really possible)... is there some other way?

You can try Dolphin, I just never could get it working for my self. Hope it will work for You. Smile

RE: How do you rip Models - Niblesess - 12-07-2011

Question, after downloading any model off of the huge database here, how do I open it and view it? Also, after opening and viewing it, would I be able to move the model's limbs, etc. around so that I can take screenshots? It would be extremely helpful for my graphic art to be able to put models into a position I like.

On a side note, has anybody been able to take the models of any 3DS games or even "Pokedex 3D"?

RE: How do you rip Models - Dazz - 12-07-2011

3DS is still a new area - there is currently no way to view the contents of a 3DS game. Give it a couple years, and we should probably have some progress with it.

Also, I've decided I'm going to try my hand a little bit with regards to ripping some Wii games. Seems simple enough...
[Image: 56lRl.png]

RE: How do you rip Models - Roxas358 - 12-07-2011

(12-07-2011, 05:29 AM)Niblesess Wrote: Question, after downloading any model off of the huge database here, how do I open it and view it? Also, after opening and viewing it, would I be able to move the model's limbs, etc. around so that I can take screenshots? It would be extremely helpful for my graphic art to be able to put models into a position I like.

It depends, if the file extension is .smd, .dae or .psk, You can pose them. However if they are .obj or .3ds, they will need to be rigged.

Here's a list of free 3d modeling programs.
I use Blender, but it can be hard to learn.

There are also other programs such as Milkshape, Maya and 3Ds Max but You have to pay for them.

After You choose a program, I would suggest looking up tutorials on Youtube about the program.

You also need to make sure the program will support the file type. Blender supports .obj, .3ds, .dae, and some others. And with a plugin You can also open .smd.