The VG Resource
HG/SS Discussion. - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+------ Forum: Pokemon (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-69.html)
+------ Thread: HG/SS Discussion. (/thread-11893.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - TomGuycott - 04-06-2010

I FINALLY beat the Elite Four... The Four aren't really the problem, it's when I get to the Champ that I get really screwed over, and I have to rely on Thunder Wave and Poison Powder to save my ass, which it finally did on my third try. The second time through the Elite four I had it down perfectly because I knew what to expect that time, so I saved before the champ and died once, beat him the second time.

My ending team:

Ragnarok (Lv. 47 Nidoking)
Fire Blast
Thunder
Surf
Earth Power
(What sucks is all the Attack based moves I wanted I can't get until after the National Dex, so he's got a bunch of Special based moves that I just happened to be able to get. I SHOULD have replaced Surf with Blizzard... would've been Ice Beam if I felt like taking hours in the Voltorb card game.)

Flashor (Lv. 38 Ampharos)
Cotton Spore
Thunder
Thunder Punch
Thunder Wave
(Could have used a little more variety with his moves, but I stuck with electric exclusive attacks and he served as my paralysis junkie.)

Sirius (Lv. 51 Infernape)
Close Combat
Mach Punch
Fire Blast
Flame Wheel
(I raised him from level 1, so it's not REALLY cheating... There weren't many good fire Pokemon at the time, save Magmar, and I preferred the fighting potential Infernape has. I really didn't use him much during the Elite Four, so I don't consider his high level to be a reason I won.)

Viola (Lv. 37 Meganium)
Sweet Scent
Synthesis
Petal Dance
Poison Powder
(The reason I was able to defeat one of the Champ's Pokemon. Poisoned him and whittled him down. Otherwise, she's the bane of my existence because picking her essentially makes this game hard mode.)

Zexas (Lv. 43 Red Gyrados)
Hydro Pump (Got it in the last battle, had Bite technically)
Aqua Tail
Ice Fang
Blizzard
(The only good attacker I had against the Champ. Aqua Tail clinched the win.)

Sylux (Lv. 37 Scizor)
Agility
Fury Cutter
Bullet Punch
Metal Claw
(Really he was just a buffer against Pokemon who weren't strong against Steel, and while they would struggle against his armor, I'd be healing my others)

So now that I've defeated the Elite Four, it's onto Kanto, and potentially raising Pokemon for metagame aspects rather than basic battling.

EDIT: After looking this team up on Smogn, I've realized I'm sporting a team of 2 Overused, 2 Underused, and 2 Neverused. Hmm.

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Phantom Killah - 04-06-2010

I looked up my team on smogon and apparently all of my Pokemon are NU

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Devicho - 04-06-2010

God I hate trying to catch legendaries. Stay the fuck in the ball, Ho-oh. >:c

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - GrooveMan.exe - 04-07-2010

Fuck yeah, my Magnemite is the luckiest motherfucker.

Took a Surf from Chuck's Poliwrath and went straight to 1HP, and managed to get off a Thunderwave, and a Supersonic. Then Poli kept getting dicked over by paralysis and confusion as I wittled his health down to 1.

And then it used Hypnosis.
POLI IS TIGHTENING IT'S FOCUS
MAGS IS ASLEEP (ohshitohsitohshit)
POLI IS PARALYZED AND CAN'T MOVE (phew)

This happened THREE TIMES in a row, before Magnemite's Quick Claw kicked in and I got in one last Thundershock. Granted if Mags died I had more Pokémon to switch in and finish off the fight with; but I didn't want to redirect the exp.

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Gold - 04-07-2010

I still haven't caught a single one of the dogs yet. O_o

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Phantom Killah - 04-07-2010

It's hard to switch my team up because I'm too attached to all of my Pokemon :\/

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Alpha Six - 04-07-2010

My current team is as follows:

Togekiss (Level 53)
- Extrasensory
- Solarbeam
- Drain Punch
- Yawn

Typhlosion (Level 61)
- Focus Blast
- Rock Slide
- Eruption
- Blast Burn

Lanturn (Level 54)
- Surf
- Thunder
- Discharge
- Signal Beam

Nidoking (Level 50)
- Poison Jab
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam

Zangoose (Level 57)
- Rock Climb (temporary)
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- X-Scissor

Articuno (Level 52) (temporary)
- Ancientpower
- Agility
- Ice Beam
- Fly

Currently grinding all of them to at least level 65 before E4 part 2-- except Articuno, who I may replace with somebody else... right now I'm just using it as my flyer so I can go meet up with trainers for the extra EXP from beating trainers. All of its moves are default except Fly. Togekiss, Nidoking and Zangoose are amazingly easy to train, which is an amazing bonus because all three of them are great. Zangoose has amazing attack and speed, and Togekiss and Nidoking are both fairly well-rounded.

Typhlosion will probably eventually be replaced with Blaziken. Or maybe someone else, who knows? Just a little something for me to mess around with...

I may also replace Lanturn because his stats are really low except for his HP... although I'm seriously a big fan of his typing and I kinda have a huge soft spot for him ):

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I also looked my team up on Smogon... Togekiss is my only OU, and the other five are NU and UU. B)

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - TomGuycott - 04-07-2010

Lots of other people are using Nidokings. Very Sad More effectively too.

Edit: I finally caught Entei, right before work too! The bastard's been roaring me away since yesterday. T_T
His IVs are pretty decent too, not that I'd really want to use him considering his Legendary status. But his IVs are much better than Raikou, who I spent my Masterball on because I had accidentally burned him and didn't feel like fighting the Elite Four again to get him to respawn at the Burned Tower. I don't even know if that's how that works, so I didn't even risk it.

Looks like I'll be spending 100+ balls getting guys like Ho-oh and Mewtwo though.

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Vic - 04-07-2010

Man, I should have chosen Cyndaquil as my starter because I really wanna use Octillery in my team and I dont feel like dumping my Croconaw :>
Anyway, just beat Morty (had to fight him twice because my DS decided to freeze for no reason Defeated)
My team so far:
Croconaw Lv. 23
- Bite
- Ice Fang
- Water Gun
- Leer
Noctowl Lv. 22
- Confusion
- Peck
- Hypnosis
- Reflect
Geodude Lv. 22
- Magnitude
- Rollout
- Rock Polish
- Defense Curl
Magmar Lv. 21
- Fire Spin
- Faint Attack
- Smog
- Smoke Screen
Raticate Lv. 20 (HM/Headbutt Slave)
- Strenght
- Rock Smash
- Headbutt
- Cut

Geodude will get replaced as soon as I get access to the Safari Zone (it's available after you've done the Lighthouse, right?)
I'm also trying to get a Scyther in the Bug Catching Contest, but I had no luck yesterday :/
Still unsure what Pokemon will fill up the last slot, though, I kinda wanna use a Nidoking, but I used him in pretty much every playthrough so far except for Plat, and I wanna try out something new for a change ...

Mom in this game is pretty awesome too, some Super Potions,a Silk Scarf and a Muscle Band so far. And a repel. Right before I went to Union Cave. Nice timing, lady!

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Codestar - 04-07-2010

I'm wanting to replace a few of my team now. my team consists of

Pidgeot level 46
wing attack
fly
quick attack
twister

nidoking level 47
earth power
earthquake
double kick
horn attack (will replace with megahorn to combat psychic types)

feraligatr level 51
surf
crunch
slash
ice fang

togetic level 46
extrasensory
fly
yawn
ancientpower

raikou level 41
cut
roar
agility
spark

lugia
level 49
fly
avalanche
extrasensory
hydro pump

Not sure but i kinda i want to replace my nidoking with a tyranitar...
I know i want to replace raikou with a manectric.
I want to evolve togetic too.

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Alpha Six - 04-07-2010

Evolve Togetic. Togekiss's amazing stats are worth it.

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Helmo - 04-07-2010

Flash + par. = Focus Punch

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Gold - 04-07-2010

(04-07-2010, 03:43 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: Evolve Togetic. Togekiss's amazing stats are worth it.

Togekiss with

Fly
Flamethrower
Sunny Day
Solar Beam

Best.

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - JoshR691 - 04-07-2010

(04-07-2010, 04:02 PM)Vanilla Ice Wrote:
(04-07-2010, 03:43 PM)Alpha Six Wrote: Evolve Togetic. Togekiss's amazing stats are worth it.

Togekiss with

Fly
Flamethrower
Sunny Day
Solar Beam

Best.
That's a pretty good set for him, especially since most people will be expecting:

Air Slash
Roost
Aura Sphere
Thunder Wave

Although, Fly as it's STAB isn't too good, I'd get a Heart Scale and teach him Air Slash (Since the rest of his set is Special). I honestly never would've thought of a set like that...(for whatever reason, I never consider the weather moves...)

RE: HG/SS Discussion. - Phantom Killah - 04-07-2010

I saw Entei for the first time I wasn't even looking for him and the first thing I did was throw an Ultra Ball at him and it caught him.:]

My team:
Quilava lvl 32 (Beanie)
Flame Wheel
Swift
SmokeScreen
Ember

Pikachu lvl 32 (The Bolt)
Thunderbolt
Strength
Double Team
Quick Attack

Graveler lvl 32 (Boron)