The VG Resource
Metroid: Other M - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Metroid: Other M (/thread-6989.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Metroid: Other M - SKELTON S. SKELETON - 02-01-2010

I appreciate Metroid, but I also think you're a loving idiot, The game isn't even out yet. Despite having a trailer 'oh jeez, there's people and dialogue! everybody fucking run and hide!'
The story in other Metroid games is presented as explorable much like the environment. I see no evidence this isn't still the case. The game apparently has other characters besides Samus, yes and dialogue (already mentioned) So did Fusion, and it's one of the best games in the fucking series.

We will see how the score rests when the game is playable, not before.

RE: Metroid: Other M - PrettyNier - 02-01-2010

lol
You don't even know what you're talking about, much less what I'm talking about

It's obvious the game is out yet and as such it should go without saying that I am judging the game by what has been seen thus far (along with the direction the series has been taking ever since MP2), which is entirely reasonable - it's also incredibly obvious that that opinion is subject to change due to the fact that the game is, again, not out yet.
so really you're "problem" is just short-sightedness

I'm talking about Samus german-supplexing enemies in large, flat arena like rooms

I'm talking about the overt emphasis on tasteless "over-the-top" action, obviously courtesy of Team Ninja

I'm talking about the obvious overt emphasis on story and "developing samus as a character" - the large amount of cutscenes present within the trailer alone indicates this obvious fact (along with the nature of those cutscenes).

and yes, fusion was pushing that already and is barely even acceptable.

in general my criticisms lie with more than just the trailer, my criticisms lie in the gradual shift from being "metroid" to "generic over the top space opera", which has been occurring since metroid prime 2. metroid prime 3 is a horrendous example of this direction, and everything we've seen and heard about Other M thus far has shown that they are continuing this direction.

if you cannot see what is wrong with every single one of those things, than I am thinking that you never actually appreciated or "got" the games in the first place

(02-01-2010, 04:42 PM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote: -dumb post-

how can 'developing a character' and 'developing a story' really be something to be pissed off at
maybe the whole Samus suplexing enemies (if it didn't look AWESOME, that is) but not that. Samus wear's an almost superpowered powersuit that gives her practically superman levels of strength, suddenly it's ridiculous for her to do anything but walk around and shoot at guys?

RE: Metroid: Other M - Vipershark - 02-01-2010

um
not to shoot down your theory or anything but uh
i'm pretty sure metroid is about sidescrollan and shootan, not "ALONE IN THE WORLD, SEEKING REVENGE DEEP CHARACTER ELEMENTS WITHOUT TALKING"

RE: Metroid: Other M - Goemar - 02-01-2010

Oh come on it's not even in the main series, we already know this isn't going to be anything like the other Metroid games.
I didn't like the Prime series at all, but I don't say that people who like them just don't 'get' the Metroid series.

A game can branch out without betraying the original series. True the original 2D series has been dead for sometime now but this new game won't take anything away from it.

When Metal Slug went 3D, yes it was a bad game. But if someone out there enjoyed it it doesn't mean they didn't 'get' the old games. Games branch out and change and we simply have to wait and see if it turns out good or not as trailers can be misleading. Twilight Princess made it look like it was drastically changing Zelda with the whole wolf business, and it turned out to be nothing big at all.

(02-01-2010, 04:58 PM)Vipershark Wrote: um
i'm pretty sure metroid is about sidescrollan and shootan, not "ALONE IN THE WORLD, SEEKING REVENGE DEEP CHARACTER ELEMENTS WITHOUT TALKING"

^^^^ good vipershark post

for reasons that I already explained prior

I am not saying a "story" is a bad thing, fusion did it relatively well although it did kind of push itself with the stupid elevator monologues

I am saying that metroid is a very specific thing - it is not like other things

and as such, it must be dealt with in a very specific way - a literal "this is what happens, watch as we talk about everything that's going on in a very literal and obvious way with a large amount of different characters" kind of approach does not work very well given what the series has been and what makes it what it is

the more characters a game has, the less "lonely" it will inherently become - interactions making it even less so

the more literal and bombastic something becomes, inherently the less subtle and introverted it becomes

the more you "develop" a character that is supposed to be an extension of you, the less they are that and the more they become "everyone else" as opposed to "you" - henceforth severing the tie and making it nigh impossible to achieve a connected, isolated and introverted atmosphere which is just another step in shifting the focus of the series from what made it great in the first place to being just another overt and bombastic "epic space opera"

Quote: (if it didn't look AWESOME, that is)
uuugh

because it is completely and totally tasteless - the defining characteristic of samus' "superhuman" ability was not FUCK UOU UP but the utter grace of her movements. She is an acrobat, a gymnast, not a WWF wrestler.

Quote:h come on it's not even in the main series, we already know this isn't going to be anything like the other Metroid games.
I didn't like the Prime series at all, but I don't say that people who like them just don't 'get' the Metroid series.
the traces of this direction are present in both fusion and zero mission as well, it isn't just isolated to seperate games or distinct sub-series
Quote:um
this post is so stupid i'm not sure who you're trying to respond too, if even just one of us (because literally the only parts even remotely applicable to what i've been saying are 'alone in the world' and 'without talking' and neither of those appear to be the focus of your sentence, the focus of your sentence of course being completely off and retarded)

you'd probably say "mario" was about jumping or rescuing a princess, wouldn't you (as opposed to, of course, momentum)

RE: Metroid: Other M - Koopaul - 02-01-2010

To me all a Metroid game needs is the freedom to explore, hidden items, minor platforming, creepy environments, and shooting.

The main series had that, Prime had that, I'm sure this will too.

RE: Metroid: Other M - Omegajak - 02-01-2010

(02-01-2010, 05:09 PM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote:
Quote:um
this post is so stupid i'm not sure who you're trying to respond too, if even just one of us (because literally the only parts even remotely applicable to what i've been saying are 'alone in the world' and 'without talking' and neither of those appear to be the focus of your sentence, the focus of your sentence of course being completely off and retarded)

you'd probably say "mario" was about jumping or rescuing a princess, wouldn't you (as opposed to, of course, momentum)

I DIDN'T have a problem with your opinion until right this very moment. You are not an idiot sir. You are just so fuggin DEEP. You make poetry in itself seem tasteless and without any base form of art, and I'm talking about the good poetry.

Honestly Gizmonic your too deep to be into video games srsly. There's appreciating a take on someone's digital tale and work and there's being an archeologist and historian. Neither of which are necessary since Metroid Prime let's you be both in their games. (Scan Visor) Whatever you look for in Metroid I hope Nintendo does justice for you (and others like you) as most people are agreeing they, and Team Ninja will do for us.

Quote:I DIDN'T have a problem with your opinion until right this very moment.
Out of curiosity, Do you now?

Either way, thanks for your comments. I do admit my focus on video games is usually a little bit different from most

RE: Metroid: Other M - Omegajak - 02-01-2010

(02-01-2010, 06:35 PM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote:
Quote:I DIDN'T have a problem with your opinion until right this very moment.
Out of curiosity, Do you now?

Either way, thanks for your comments. I do admit my focus on video games is usually a little bit different from most

I do. But not in the "shut your lazy dog ass face up" kind of way. More in the "Wait, wha-?!"

Metroid has never been about loneliness, the game are about a child looking for company and where she belongs. from the very outset in the metroid origin story Samus is still a little girl looking for a proper home. Zero Mission (and by extent the original game) are about someone returning home and finding it not the place it should be. as the series progressed, more and more Samus found out the importance of depending on others. she looked to the Metroid in 3 as her own child more or less, and in Fusion she eventually tells you how good it was having someone like Adam around to depend on.
So maybe the game are kind of about loneliness, but about how terrible it is to be lonely.

you distinguished gentleman.

i don't really mean from a storyline point of view, i mean the point of the games experience - what kind of feeling and emotion and atmosphere it's trying to convey

Quote:she looked to the Metroid in 3 as her own child more or less
this is sort of the point, actually

we assume that - but why? there's no dialogue or literal cutscene that points to that conclusion. no scene wherein samus in an attempt to bond with the metroid stands next to it and laughs an incredibly loud and fake laugh for several minutes until the both of them start actually laughing while everyone else stands and watches while feeling a mixture of revolsion and confusion.

the visual narrative of the game - the metroid follows her like a lost child when she rescues it, and she keeps it alive. Any actual feeling is actually YOUR feeling being placed onto samus. For all intents and purposes, samus could have been totally apathetic at the death of the metroid and simply got stronger because she absorbed his energy - yet, we read into these events. We see them and our own feelings bleed into them. We see the metroid as a child - OUR child - and it's death bothers us.

actually uh
yeah
it says right there she felt a powerful attachment in the opening monologue and then shows her not shooting it so

RE: Metroid: Other M - Ngamer01 - 02-01-2010

This is reminding me of all the hooplah over Wind Waker. 'I'm not playing this. It's too cartoony.'

How does that relate to Other M? 'I'm not looking forward to this. There's too much action, Samus character development, and plot instead of just adventuring.' Considering we've only had what a trailer and http://www.metroid.jp/ to go by? At least give it until e3 where we'll get more trailers and screens from the game.