The VG Resource
Game cast- No new character suggestions - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Community Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-57.html)
+------ Forum: Smash Bros Project (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-31.html)
+------ Thread: Game cast- No new character suggestions (/thread-7716.html)

RE: Game cast- No new character suggestions - Bazzoka - 11-09-2009

I totally support Chocobo, but right now I couldn't care less since we really need to settle on a roster. Geno works for now since he belongs to SquareEnix and Sakurai said he would have treated him as a 3rd party though I can't remember where I saw him say that. |V At least if enough people don't want Goroh, we can choose two characters that represent a new series.

I shall also say, I rather like the Dixie/Kiddy combo. I actually made a moveset for them a little bit ago.

Also also, Animal Crosser. If I had a second choice... I dunno. Stuck between Captain Rainbow and Mike Jones as they both seem to be good fighters but I have no idea what they're capable of.

EDIT: Good god, I'm slow.

RE: Game cast- No new character suggestions - Ton - 11-09-2009

Honestly, I think Andy peeking out of the top of a mini tank and using weapons would be cool, but way too similar to Porky.

RE: Game cast- No new character suggestions - Koopaul - 11-09-2009

(11-09-2009, 12:42 AM)Teeks Wrote: Here, I can sum up the deep, life changing story that is Samurai Goroh in F-Zero

Samurai Goroh Trophy - Mele Wrote:A rival bounty hunter, Samurai Goroh has crossed paths with Captain Falcon in many a dark corner of the universe. He also goes head-to-head with Falcon in F-Zero races, so the threads of their fates seem to be deeply intertwined. Samurai Goroh is famous for his katana, and his signature T-shirt is instantly recognizable.

Okay seriously that doesn't even mention his love interest and affiars his son Dai Goroh and so much more.

But seriously... SINCE WHEN DOES STORY MATTER?

We might as well give Mario one character because his stories are about saving the princess. Seriously that is stupid reason.

And Teeks what's your vendetta?

RE: Game cast- No new character suggestions - Kairos - 11-09-2009

(11-09-2009, 12:53 AM)koopaul Wrote: But seriously... SINCE WHEN DOES STORY MATTER?

When you mentioned it.

Just sayin'

RE: Game cast- No new character suggestions - Teeks - 11-09-2009

But Mario is the main Nintendo franchise. F-Zero is literally like, 10th in line. And it has even less relevant to it than the entire Mario franchise. The story in the F-Zero games are irrelevant in every way. All those backstories and relationships are all text based and you hardly even have to look at it. At least with the Mario games you know the whole idea is to save the Princess.

Captain Falcon is the only reason F-Zero is popular at all. And that's only because of Smash Bros.

And what makes Mother four times more important? Mother was considered a failure in the U.S. and never had any other games besides that one released outside Japan.

Its a franchise that will only have three games probably, had no other appearances in games besides Smash Bros.

RE: Game cast- No new character suggestions - Teeks - 11-09-2009

Is that what you argue when you have nothing else to say? Stop falling back on it.

The Mother franchise is all about story. In order to play the game, you have to learn about the characters, the plot, everything. All four characters choosen are important to each individual game. In F-Zero, the characters are just avatars.

RE: Game cast- No new character suggestions - Rökkan - 11-09-2009

It is true that Mother only became insanely popular because of Smash, too. Not that Earthbound wasn't popular at all. But, four reps is way too much for a franchise that has only three games.
But Captain Falcon is enough to represent the F-Zero series, really. Samurai Goroh is cool and all, but I prefer that the Captain stands alone.

You must realize we are talking about a series that put ROB and G&W in. Why are we complaining about Goroh a reasonable character from an established franchise, that regularly makes cameos in games had a TV series and such.

What does Mother have that F-Zero doesn't besides fanboys?

RE: Game cast- No new character suggestions - Sol - 11-09-2009

(11-09-2009, 12:22 AM)Teeks Wrote: F-Zero is a game. About racing. With little to no story at all. WE DON'T NEED MORE THAN ONE PLAYABLE CHARACTER! At least the Mother games have a story. I mean, god dammit.

I don't support Ray at all. I think there are far better choices. Geno should be a Mario character, leaving room for Chocobo/Black Mage/Moogle *I prefer Chocobo but only Shawn agrees.* Dixie should be the Dixie/Kiddy idea Ton had because ya know, that was a new and unique idea. None of your ideas are. So. Yeah.

Also, Lip? Really? Come on guys.

All you've been doing is going, "Wow, those ideas are horrible, didn't think you guys could get any stupider, but it's not like it matters because TON is the boss and all of his ideas are AMAZING"

Shut. The fuck. Up. We get it, you like the roster just the way it was originally, we get that you're pals with Ton and everything, but seriously, stop acting so black and white.

Dixie and Kiddie tag-teaming is an original idea? I'm sorry, I could have sworn Tonberry shot down the Heroes of Elibe idea because switching between 3 characters has already been done by Pokemon Trainer, making it unoriginal. And last time I checked, Ice Climbers already have the tag-team thing going for them. So by Ton's own logic, his Dixie-Kiddie idea is unoriginal.

And how are our ideas not new and unique? These characters and their series are completely new to Smash Bros., and they have notability in Nintendo's game library. They might not be as hugely popular as Mario, but at least their games were and are something new and different in the world of Nintendo, and not just another Mario spin-off title.

I normally don't have anything against you, but you're being a real prick about this.

RE: Game cast- No new character suggestions - Kitsu - 11-09-2009

While I agree that FZero might be mildly important, I'm not so sure that it's enough to warrant another guy, especially ANOTHER SWORD USER. Though I will also agree that FZero is probably more or at least equally well-known as Mother. Star Fox is around the same league, too, actually.

EDIT: To add a little to Sol's stuff up above, I'd have to agree with most of your statement. I remember that Sakurai was disappointed that he didn't have many new IPs to work with. I think from that, we might be able to guess that new stuff was important to him and the series.

However, about the Dixie-Kiddie idea, it was actually somewhat original. He had them not as an Ice Climber deal, but with one riding on top of the other, being able to switch who was on top or bottom, and the attacks were then decided by the height order.

Earthbound always had something of a cult following before Smash. Smash just made it more available/popular, admittedly. The four reps isn't much when you consider that they're two separate games with two separate casts of characters. The main villain and the main hero from two different games.
And the story warrants it, I think. Games like F-Zero are minimal in story, so it gets minimal characters. The player is more invested in the characters in Mother, so I think it's fair to give them a shot. Plus, aside from Ness and Lucas (who we didn't make movesets for), the characters have very different and interesting play styles. The game universe lends itself to movesets and attacks and characters. F-Zero has none of this. Hell, not even Star Fox had it until Smash 64. Star Fox is only marginally more notable than F-Zero and why? Because the characters talk and interact with each other. F-Zero has none of that. If you replaced the graphics in F-Zero and played it you'd never know the difference because it's an anonymous idea with a character popular only through the means of another franchise.
So there.

Well I put all the characters everyone wants with room for one more what's the problem with Goroh hanging there?

EDIT: The characters talk and interact with each other in later games.

(11-09-2009, 01:08 AM)Sol Wrote:
(11-09-2009, 12:22 AM)Teeks Wrote: F-Zero is a game. About racing. With little to no story at all. WE DON'T NEED MORE THAN ONE PLAYABLE CHARACTER! At least the Mother games have a story. I mean, god dammit.

I don't support Ray at all. I think there are far better choices. Geno should be a Mario character, leaving room for Chocobo/Black Mage/Moogle *I prefer Chocobo but only Shawn agrees.* Dixie should be the Dixie/Kiddy idea Ton had because ya know, that was a new and unique idea. None of your ideas are. So. Yeah.

Also, Lip? Really? Come on guys.

All you've been doing is going, "Wow, those ideas are horrible, didn't think you guys could get any stupider, but it's not like it matters because TON is the boss and all of his ideas are AMAZING"

Shut. The fuck. Up. We get it, you like the roster just the way it was originally, we get that you're pals with Ton and everything, but seriously, stop acting so black and white.

Dixie and Kiddie tag-teaming is an original idea? I'm sorry, I could have sworn Tonberry shot down the Heroes of Elibe idea because switching between 3 characters has already been done by Pokemon Trainer, making it unoriginal. And last time I checked, Ice Climbers already have the tag-team thing going for them. So by Ton's own logic, his Dixie-Kiddie idea is unoriginal.

And how are our ideas not new and unique? These characters and their series are completely new to Smash Bros., and they have notability in Nintendo's game library. They might not be as hugely popular as Mario, but at least their games were and are something new and different in the world of Nintendo, and not just another Mario spin-off title.

I normally don't have anything against you, but you're being a real prick about this.

And just to refute this, Kiddy and Dixie didn't swap. They changed weight class/attack power/speed. It was a bit different.

(11-09-2009, 01:11 AM)Sploder Wrote: While I agree that FZero might be mildly important, I'm not so sure that it's enough to warrant another guy, especially ANOTHER SWORD USER.

(11-09-2009, 01:12 AM)koopaul Wrote: Well I put all the characters everyone wants with room for one more what's the problem with Goroh hanging there?

Read above. And my post.

EDIT: Teeks, stop whining. Koopaul, Goroh isn't making it. You have like 3 pages of reasons why not. Focus on something productive.