The VG Resource
Game cast- No new character suggestions - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Community Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-57.html)
+------ Forum: Smash Bros Project (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-31.html)
+------ Thread: Game cast- No new character suggestions (/thread-7716.html)

RE: Game cast- vote here - Ton - 08-30-2009

Well, if we do ATs out of mostly 3rd-rate characters it won't conflict. But that's not really possible. People want to see familiar faces.
Let's keep it a secret/undecided for now and work on the playables.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Koopaul - 08-30-2009

Well okay... Hm... Maybe instead of DLC we can have updated versions of the game released. With player input on things they want fixed. (when we release the game I'm sure there will be many unnoticed problems) But in addition to fixing those problems we also add more characters.

"Version 2.0! Now Featuring Lolo!"

RE: Game cast- vote here - Ton - 08-30-2009

Yeah, we'll decide on something later.

Gah, don't say that!

RE: Game cast- vote here - Alpha Six - 08-31-2009

(08-30-2009, 11:42 PM)koopaul Wrote:
(08-30-2009, 03:02 PM)Teeks Wrote: All other fantasy characters will be DLC if we even implement that.

Well we HAVE to decide whether that will be implemented now. Why? Assist Trophies.

We can't have a game released that has Assist Trophies of characters that might be DLC later.
You know... that'd actually be kinda cool.

Think about it, what if there were some kind of game patch that automatically downloads itself when there's an update, and when you first boot up the game after update, the game would say "A New Challenger Has Arrived!" You could unlock this character by using their assist trophy. If they appear in an assist trophy, you see a small little movie of an assist trophy shattering and the new character coming out of it, and then you fight them in the next round. And if you win, you unlock the character and the assist trophy of them becomes disabled for the entire game.

I've got a little idea how this could be programmed, but only in GML, and I can't actually do it, only theorize on possible solutions.

But hey, maybe I'm crazy and overimaginative. But it does sound like a cool idea, don't you think? This could even be used for non-DLC characters, maybe.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Ton - 08-31-2009

I think that creates too many unnecessary steps. Thought I like the idea of a new version and then when you boot it up it says "A New challenger has appeared!"

RE: Game cast- vote here - Black Boo - 08-31-2009

(08-31-2009, 12:19 AM)Tyvon Wrote:
(08-30-2009, 11:42 PM)koopaul Wrote:
(08-30-2009, 03:02 PM)Teeks Wrote: All other fantasy characters will be DLC if we even implement that.

Well we HAVE to decide whether that will be implemented now. Why? Assist Trophies.

We can't have a game released that has Assist Trophies of characters that might be DLC later.
You know... that'd actually be kinda cool.

Think about it, what if there were some kind of game patch that automatically downloads itself when there's an update, and when you first boot up the game after update, the game would say "A New Challenger Has Arrived!" You could unlock this character by using their assist trophy. If they appear in an assist trophy, you see a small little movie of an assist trophy shattering and the new character coming out of it, and then you fight them in the next round. And if you win, you unlock the character and the assist trophy of them becomes disabled for the entire game.

I've got a little idea how this could be programmed, but only in GML, and I can't actually do it, only theorize on possible solutions.

But hey, maybe I'm crazy and overimaginative. But it does sound like a cool idea, don't you think? This could even be used for non-DLC characters, maybe.

That is a cool idea.

Only thing is, why not have the trophy disabled when the character is in use and not for the rest of the game? That way it can still appear and be used.

Either way, it would have to be up to Runow as he's programming it.

Honestly, I think we need a distinction between ATs and PCs. They can't be both. That's waaaaaayyy too much unnecessary coding.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Alpha Six - 08-31-2009

(08-31-2009, 12:08 PM)Black Boo Wrote: Only thing is, why not have the trophy disabled when the character is in use and not for the rest of the game? That way it can still appear and be used.
Because it'd be ridiculous for Pikachu to throw a Poke Ball and have a Pikachu come out and attack, hence why they never put playable Pokemon in balls, and why none of the playable characters are also assist trophies. It's unnecessary, know what I mean?

Again, that's probably up to Runow and if he's willing to do it.

By the way Ton, not really. All that would need to do is when the assist trophy is shattered, in the character selection code, if it was to try and pick out Isaac or (far cry here) Nayru or Din, just have it check if that character is in the match. It's rather elementary coding honestly.
(08-31-2009, 12:11 PM)Tyvon Wrote:
(08-31-2009, 12:08 PM)Black Boo Wrote: Only thing is, why not have the trophy disabled when the character is in use and not for the rest of the game? That way it can still appear and be used.
Because it'd be ridiculous for Pikachu to throw a Poke Ball and have a Pikachu come out and attack, hence why they never put playable Pokemon in balls, and why none of the playable characters are also assist trophies. It's unnecessary, know what I mean?

...see above post.

Even so, it takes away the distinction of the ATs. If we're going have all the playables as ATs, why bother coming up with new ones? People would feel ripped off because we used Mario twice where Jeff or Lyn could have been used instead.

Hm...right...

What if they had a setting in the options? Like display the character (once they've been unlocked) and have a setting for Playable or AT? That way if they want the trophy but not the playable, they switch to the AT setting, but if they want to play as them, they switch to the Playable setting?

Just throwin ideas out there.

Meh, I think it's a non-issue, really. We'll just have playables and ATs. No characters will be both. Saves us a lot of headaches.

Yeah I guess.

Still all in all it eliminates a lot of possibilities, but oh well.

Now that this debacle's over, let's get to work.

RE: Game cast- vote here - nicktheslayer - 09-05-2009

CAPTAIN N!!!!!! Please?

RE: Game cast- vote here - Alpha Six - 09-05-2009

No sorry.