The VG Resource
Game cast- No new character suggestions - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Community Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-57.html)
+------ Forum: Smash Bros Project (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-31.html)
+------ Thread: Game cast- No new character suggestions (/thread-7716.html)

RE: Game cast- vote here - Ekoi - 08-25-2009

Mischief Makers has a considerably large cult fallowing. It was also co-created by Enix.

Geno has a considerably large cult fallowing. SMRPG was co-created by SquareSoft.

Since Squaresoft and Exix merged into SquareEnix, it kills two birds with one stone to have Marina and Geno in. We get our two characters from SquareEnix, and we don't have to deal with Final Fantasy bullshit.

While I don't think the Mother/Earthbound series needs four characters myself, I know that F-Zero does not need anyone more than Captain Falcon.

You want to make up an ass-pulled movelist for Goroh? Go join that Super Smash Flash 2 project or whatever. We don't need a racecar-driving samuari who'll be able to shoot energy waves from his katana and fly around in his racecar-shaped jetpack.

There's a difference between making a shitty fangame and one that tries to look like it wasn't made by fans.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Azu - 08-25-2009

Personally, I'd like to see at least one Tales of character. Namely Cless or Lloyd.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Black Boo - 08-25-2009

Again, I put up my case of Zelda getting one or two more characters. I mean, sure, when people hear nintendo, they think Mario first, then Zelda, then probably Kirby, THEN Mother. I honestly don't see what the big deal is with that series, but okay. I really think that we should have Ness, Lucas, and Masked Man for that set, as I honestly don't think that series isn't deserving of four characters. I don't care how popular it is in Japan. Kirby should probably have 4, Zelda at least 5, and Mario...well can't we actually cut that cast DOWN? If you include DK Diddy Yoshi and Wario, how many characters is that, like 10? My thoughts on cast numbers here.

Mario- 9
Zelda- 5-6
Kirby- 4
Mother- 3
F-Zero- 1
Metroid- 2
Fire Emblem- 3
Pokemon- 5 (It's a quickly expanding series)
Pikmin- 1
Punchout- 1
Ice Climber- 1
ROB Series- 1
Sonic- 2
MGS- 1
Kid Icarus- 0-1 (Quite honestly I feel Nintendo was stupid in bringing back a 20 year old character that hadn't appeared in any games between then)
Third Party characters- (not counting the sonic and MGS categories) 3
G&W- 1

Did I miss anyone? I've got the feeling I did.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Ton - 08-25-2009

The problem with the Zelda series tht they're always importing/exporting new characters. The main three are the only important ones. I'm actually shocked that Sheik made it into SSBB. I've likened the Zelda cast to Metroid many times; only a few characters matter. Aside from Tingle, who is a big enough character to get a slot? I'd say Midna, but she's attached to another version of Link the whole time. I know you're big on the goddesses, but they've very minor characters. I can see the cast for Vaati, but I don't know much about him.
There's a point you get to where you're just adding characters because you're out of important ones and still feel like the game deserves more characters, so the cast becomes padded. Does Zelda deserve more? Probably. Are there any viable options? Not really.

Well, this is true, but minor as they are, they have had their big moments, (oracle of Ages and Seasons), and they're at least reoccuring and have a steady fastened role, y'know? However, one of the main reasons I feel they can/could be included is that they're rather forgotten characters, kind of like Pit I suppose. The last time their names were actually MENTIONED was Wind Waker in '03, but the names and characters are also hinted at in TP with the provinces and in Lannayru's story about the fused shadows. But that's beside the point.
Now Vaati is also a viable slot, as he's appeared numerous times as the villain, but he was also being manipulated by Ganon at one point, and his basic character is actually two different people (Wind Sorcerer and Minish Sorcerer). I'd assume his main playing form would be the minish sorcerer, and his final smash would be the Wind Sorcerer.
Tingle. Ugh. No go sir. He's quite honestly even more minor than the goddesses/oracles. He's appeared in...3-4 zelda games, and is now branching off into his own kind of mini-series, just like Wario, no? Sure you can give him a slot if you want, but I wouldn't bunch him in with the Zelda crew.

Bottom line: Zelda can still get more characters, most viable are Vaati and Din/Nayru (and Farore as an assist trophy). Tingle can have a slot, but he'd be seperate like Wario is from Mario.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Ton - 08-25-2009

I'm not saying I'd give Tingle a slot, just that he's the most deserving. That still doesn't make him deserving. Tongue

And I'm quite honestly saying that Nayru and Din are more deserving than him. >_>; Like I said, they've got a fastened role of the Oracles and the goddesses that shaped Hyrule, which is pretty major if you ask me. Then again, as the oracles, they were damsels in distress, so doesn't that count for anything?

Black Boo, why are you trying to push Din, Farore and Nayru so hard when they are already featured in the series? Have you looked at Zelda's move-list at all?

To have them as playable characters would be like having the Chaos Emeralds as playable characters.

To give you an idea of Zelda characters that would get roles, take a look at this wikipedia page. Anyone who doesn't have "Main articleSadCharacterName)" has little to no warrant to be a fighter in a Smash Bros game.

(08-25-2009, 02:27 PM)Ekoi Wrote: Black Boo, why are you trying to push Din, Farore and Nayru so hard when they are already featured in the series? Have you looked at Zelda's move-list at all?

To have them as playable characters would be like having the Chaos Emeralds as playable characters.
Y'know, that makes no sense here. Nayru's Love, Din's Fire, and Farore's Wind were the NAMES of SPELLS from Ocarina of Time, how is that related to the Chaos Emeralds? Here's my retort to that comment anyway:

-Din and Nayru are perfectly capable of original movesets, and are actual people. The Chaos Emeralds are just gems and cannot move, and are already being used by Sonic and probably Shadow.
-Sharing a basic move with someone else is not exactly a bad thing. Look at Capitan Falcon and Ganondorf, Link and Toon Link, Luigi and Mario, etc etc.

And I'm "pushing them on so hard" because Angelglory and I are spriting them. I want my creations to be seen and not done in vain. Rolleyes

All they do is give another character some kind of power, whether it be a fancy spell or some potion. In Wind Waker they were just statues, in Oracle they were a captive-maiden plot-devices until Zelda assumes that role for herself again.

They are objectified minor-characters. The only difference between them and the Chaos Emeralds are that they are represented as humanoids instead of gems.

Just because you are spriting them doesn't mean that they are going to be used. I could sprite dozens of characters, but it doesn't mean that they should be in this just because they're sprited by a competent artist. If you want your sprites of Din, Farore and Nayru in a Smash Bros. fangame so bad, either go find the development forum for Super Smash Flash 2 or push them for Assistant Trophies in this project.

(08-25-2009, 02:59 PM)Ekoi Wrote: All they do is give another character some kind of power, whether it be a fancy spell or some potion. In Wind Waker they were just statues, in Oracle they were a captive-maiden plot-devices until Zelda assumes that role for herself again.

They are objectified minor-characters. The only difference between them and the Chaos Emeralds are that they are represented as humanoids instead of gems.

Just because you are spriting them doesn't mean that they are going to be used. I could sprite dozens of characters, but it doesn't mean that they should be in this just because they're sprited by a competent artist. If you your sprites of Din, Farore and Nayru in a Smash Bros. fangame so bad, either go find the development forum for Super Flash Bros. 2 or push them for Assistant Trophies in this project.

*facepalm* Okay, listen here. You're just trying to pick an argument now. Ton and I were almost to a resolution but then you came, and now I'm explaining it again.

Din Nayru and Farore are GODDESSES, and in the Oracles games, they take upon mortal forms.

Din's Fire, Nayru's Love and Farore's Wind are SPELLS and POWERS granted by the goddesses to Link and Zelda.

In the Wind Waker, true they only APPEARED as statues, but they were still in the game as goddesses aiding Link in his quest and opening a path for him to Old Hyrule.

in the Oracles series, they were indeed the damsels in distress, but Zelda only appears in the LINKED game, and those who didn't play the linked game wouldn't even know, would they?

I'm also going to throw this in the mix. Nayru was a major character in Oracle of Ages, as she constantly appeared (though possessed) throughout the game, and was even a boss at one point. Din I can say is a bit more minor, as she was encased in crystal nearly the entire game, though she did make a few breif appearances alongside Onox after you cleared dungeon 8 and when you fight Onox, she's actually a weapon.

And okay, I suppose it seems selfish of me to say that that's pretty much the only reason, when it's not. True I want to see my sprites used, but it would also be fun to play as them no? I personally feel that they would make great additions to the game, and they'd balance out the roster a bit as well.

Also, Farore's an Assist Trophy already, and her place seems cemented...

RE: Game cast- vote here - Teeks - 08-25-2009

The roster is balanced enough.

This topic has gotten us nowhere in the last few pages. Everybody just go vote in the damn poll.

Actually Teeks, Din, Nayru, and Farore are second party, as they were created with Capcom (the oracles anyway, but that's who were using so...). Same with Vaati I think.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Teeks - 08-25-2009

What does that have to do with anything? Kirby's second party, too. The first-party poll is just to see what other Nintendo character gets in.

...oh whoops. *facepalm*

Ah well, this topic's pretty much going in the ways of discussion now.