The VG Resource
Game cast- No new character suggestions - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Creative Zone (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-86.html)
+----- Forum: Community Projects (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-57.html)
+------ Forum: Smash Bros Project (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-31.html)
+------ Thread: Game cast- No new character suggestions (/thread-7716.html)

RE: Game cast- vote here - Koopaul - 08-17-2009

Hm I see.

I thought we were still getting rid of some characters.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Teeks - 08-17-2009

Just Dr. Mario and Young Link. Ton wants all the oldies back. At least the original oldies, not the straight clones of the same character.

We still haven't decided a final roster anyway.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Jdaster64 - 08-17-2009

The main reason I'd still like to see Dr. Mario in is because his B-down isn't FLUDD. I'm sure a couple more moves could be changed in either's moveset to warrant them both being in there. Can't speak because of lack of experience for or against Young Link, and I do think four Pokemon is plenty.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Shadowth117 - 08-17-2009

(08-17-2009, 09:36 PM)jdaster64 Wrote: The main reason I'd still like to see Dr. Mario in is because his B-down isn't FLUDD.

Speaking of that, is it possible that we could just put Mario Tornado back as his down-B since most people don't like using FLUDD (in SSBB anyway).

RE: Game cast- vote here - Gold - 08-18-2009

Also voting against the FLUDD

RE: Game cast- vote here - Ton - 08-18-2009

Maybe we can find a way to make FLUDD work instead of removing it?

RE: Game cast- vote here - tsr moderation staff - 08-18-2009

^this^
the more we can differentiate him from luigi the better.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Alpha Six - 08-19-2009

Dr. Mario could be reworked as a new character instead of a Mario clone. In fact, you could make him play completely different; he could be a strategy character, like so.

Dr. Mario's main schtick is pulled straight from his games; pills, viruses, and eliminating them. Using your viruses and pills strategically is key to mastering Dr. Mario.

B -> Virus Throw. Randomly generates one of the three viruses and throws them. If an enemy is not hit, it sticks to the ground. It lasts about as long as an item dropping and left idle. If an enemy is hit, the virus sticks to the enemy and accumulates damage, then vanishes after a certain time. Works pretty much just like the Pikmin throw does.

Forward B -> Pill Throw. Works just like the Virus Throw, but instead generates random pills. If a pill side of a certain color collides with a virus of the same color, the virus and pill will both explode and vanish. If someone is caught in the explosion, they will take damage. (About the same amount of damage as colliding with a cracker launcher shot, maybe less)

Up B -> Virus Jump. Dr. Mario produces a virus and jumps on its head, increasing his jump distance. The virus that falls works exactly the same as the B counterpart.

Down B -> Pill Place. A non-projectile version of Forward B. These can be used as obstacles, or strategic virus traps.

Final Smash -> Medicine Bottle. Dr. Mario creates a medicine bottle in his current location. Enemies that collide with the bottle as it's rising become trapped inside. Random viruses appear in certain locations, as Dr. Mario stands on top, throwing pills inside. You can throw up to 10 pills and control where they land. This Final Smash works almost exactly like the Dr. Mario game itself; destroy the viruses with your pills. Enemies cannot jump out of the bottle; they can only be ricoched out by a virus destruction explosion.

Please note that I literally just pulled this out of my ass, but see how I was able to make an original movelist (and make Dr. Mario play completely different from Mario) for a literal clone character?

EDIT: As for F.L.U.D.D. working, either make it do damage or make its push effect much stronger. Also make it dissipate fire attacks, like Bowser's flame breath or the Fire Flower, and make it able to disable bombs. Give the player more control over where you spray, at least give them the ability to tilt the thing. Charizard can do it, why can't Mario?

RE: Game cast- vote here - Teeks - 08-19-2009

But the thing with Dr. Mario that makes him completely different than every other clone is that he is literally the exact same character as an existing character. Dr. Mario is Mario. There's not two different Mario's. Toon Link and Link are at least canon wise, two completely different Links from two completely different time periods. Young Link however, was the same as Link from SSBM but as a kid. Which, again, is why he's not coming back. Pichu doesn't have to be the Pichu that evolves into the Pikachu. He could be an entirely different entity of the same species. Dr. Mario is the same character canon wise. And I think that's the main reason Ton isn't including him.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Koopaul - 08-19-2009

Since everyone is going to have an alternate costume anyway I don't think we could make Dr. Mario his own character. Unless you wanna make an alternate costume for Dr. Mario.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Ton - 08-19-2009

Doc will be a costume. Teeks and I have talked at length about all this and I think we're on the same wavelength. Most of what he says I probably agree with and if I don't I'll say so.
Tyvon, why not refocus that thought into making a new moveset for Pichu? Tongue

(08-19-2009, 02:04 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: Tyvon, why not refocus that thought into making a new moveset for Pichu? Tongue

Down B - Charge - gathers up energy to supercharge all B attacks and electric-based A attacks. Can be stacked up to 3x. Accumulates damage to self by how long the charge is kept in body. Stacked charges do more self-damage. Enemies that stand directly to Pichu while he's charging will take small amounts of damage.
1x Charge - Neutral
2x Charge - +6% to self with move, +1% to self every second the charge is held in
3x Charge - +12% to self with move, +4% to self every half a second the charge is held in
B - Thunder Wave; does small damage and has the same stun effect as ZSS's Paralyzer.
1x - Normal wave. Short stun.
2x - Bigger wave. Does more damage, longer stun.
3x - Projectile version of 2x, dissipates after a certain amount of time, longest stun.
Up B - Quick Attack; can't think of anything to replace this move soooo
1x - Normal effect
2x - Does damage to enemies that collide with attack, longer reach
3x - Body becomes electrified for move, does bigger amount of damage, longer reach
Forward B - Charge Beam; fires shots of electricity.
1x - fires a jolt of electricity. Low damage.
2x - Fires a short-ranged blast of electricity. High damage with low knockback.
3x - Fires a blast of electricity. Similar damage/knockback to Samus's Charge Gun.

Final Smash - Thunder; a huge version of Pikachu's Thunder attack with a much bigger strike radius. Deals 35% damage to self when used. Hitting with Thunder will almost guarantee a kill. Active Charges are nullified and cancelled out when this move is used.

Happy? :B

RE: Game cast- vote here - Ton - 08-19-2009

I like the idea of Charge. What if Pichu's initial specials don't do damage, but Charge makes him do more damage, but he takes some too?

I edited the post and altered the Charge mechanics a bit; they're now set to do small, insignificant amounts of damage by holding in the charge, and a slightly bigger damage cause when you use it. Level 2 Charges deal 6% to yourself with every move, and level 3 does double that.

I can come up with a Young Link move set as well if you need it.

RE: Game cast- vote here - Teeks - 08-19-2009

Well, we've already got Link and Toon Link. Young Link would be overkill.

Though his moveset would totally have to involve the masks from Majora's Mask.