The VG Resource
Metroid: Other M - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: July 2014 Archive (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-139.html)
+---- Forum: Other Stuff (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-6.html)
+----- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-18.html)
+----- Thread: Metroid: Other M (/thread-6989.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Metroid: Other M - Omegajak - 03-31-2010

I enjoy Metroid games. I enjoy Ninja Gaiden games. Metroid Gaiden? "Yes plz".

RE: Metroid: Other M - Vipershark - 04-01-2010

(03-31-2010, 06:44 PM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote:
Quote:Holy shit; this is the Super Metroid/Prime dream that never happened.
honestly i see nothing of super metroid in this;
if anything, its a hint of fusion - or zero mission. it seems to take after the more abrupt and "heavy" control scheme of zero mission - which also means that things are faster; not faster because they are, but faster because the build-up has been removed.

no, it's definitely faster because it's faster

watch the video again

RE: Metroid: Other M - Kitsu - 04-01-2010

(03-31-2010, 08:32 PM)Andy Justicehammer Wrote: Also the fact that Mother Brain returns after she got her brain blown too bits.

Uh, no. That was a flashback. It had better be.

Anyways, I'm jumping on the "this doesn't look too good" bandwagon. Even though I'm still going to get this game (for the story), the game play looks like a 3d version of classic Ninja Gaiden, or even Contra. Surprise surprise! Well, I have to admit it does have a bit of Metroid in there, at least in areas that aren't infested with enemies, but it seems that once you venture into enemy territory, the game becomes Contra Gaiden.

RE: Metroid: Other M - Alpha Six - 04-01-2010

I hope you realize that Contra and Metroid play almost exactly the same, only Metroid has more stuff you can do.

RE: Metroid: Other M - PrettyNier - 04-01-2010

Quote:no, it's definitely faster because it's faster

watch the video again
no, i don't think you understand what I meant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBp2Xd_vVrg

it isn't faster because its legitimately faster - its faster because the build-up and transitions have been removed/limited dramatically; not entirely unlike what they did in Zero Mission. you can see this in the trailer quite a bit - she goes straight into full run (1:01 - 1:06). she stops suddenly (1:09). her turns are abrupt, sudden and horrendous (1:28). her jumping is awkward to watch - i can only imagine how awkward it would be playing. (1:36) there is little weight in her motion, no real momentum, no actual physics at work.

compare super metroids physics and then metroid zero missions physics and you should be able to understand the difference pretty well

Quote:I hope you realize that Contra and Metroid play almost exactly the same, only Metroid has more stuff you can do.
sorry, not at all
you move around, you aim and you shoot. thats basically where the similarities end. remove the "aiming" and you have millions of other games as well, including mega man.

(04-01-2010, 02:00 PM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote: you move around, you aim and you shoot. thats basically where the similarities end.
That's the only place it needs to end, because I said gameplay.

He said it looks like it plays like Contra. I was simply trying to get him to actually elaborate on his point, because their core gameplay is similar and has always been similar since the series began.

yes, i'm aware you said "gameplay" (which is a dumb word anyway, but thats a completely different subject)

it isn't necessarily what you do, especially if its something as broad and simple as that, it matters how its done; and in that respect, contra and metroid are almost nothing alike. italics.

Then Sploder's argument doesn't make any sense on its relation to Contra, unless he can actually explain it himself.

e: I also don't see the relation to classic Ninja Gaiden-- there's no wall jumping (or rather, anything that made classic Ninja Gaiden what it was) and you fire a gun. Where is the relation aside from the fact that it's made by Team Ninja?

actually, there is walljumping. pretty early in the trailer you see samus walljumping up a long vertical shaft

but walljumping has been in the series since super anyway

RE: Metroid: Other M - Kitsu - 04-01-2010

Well, when comparing to Contra, I was referring to how, when faced with combat situations, you essentially just run around and shoot things blindly. I can't really say you don't do that in Metroid games, but I did notice that Metroid games tend to have a bit more focus on standing still and shooting, as well as a bit of shot conservation. Also, in Metroid games, there's usually a bit more emphasis on aiming, rather than on just the shooting. Of course, that'd be nearly impossible in this 3d environment, so, yeah...

... Actually, I dunno, really. I think it's just the general feel. Also, the level design is what really made me think of Ninja Gaiden. But, I can't really say much about that either, seeing I only made it through the first level, and that was a long time ago...

RE: Metroid: Other M - Omegajak - 04-01-2010

(04-01-2010, 02:30 PM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote: actually, there is walljumping. pretty early in the trailer you see samus walljumping up a long vertical shaft

Honestly you need to tell me what a good Metroid is. Yes, I am ASKING for your wall of text. So I can figure out where all this hate comes from, I want to see all the love that you know and cherish that this game does not stand for.

RE: Metroid: Other M - Koopaul - 04-01-2010

Some of you guys are just being overly pessimistic in my opinion.

RE: Metroid: Other M - PrettyNier - 04-02-2010

Super Metroid is by far the best example. Fusion and Zero Mission are pretty okay on their own, but aren't as good as Super. Metroid Prime 1 is also interesting, for basically being a reinterpretation of what Super Metroid tried to do, except in an FPS format.

also try Super Metroid: Eris, its a hack of super metroid taking place on an entirely different planet, and it has an incredibly bizarre atmosphere

RE: Metroid: Other M - Vipershark - 04-03-2010

(04-01-2010, 10:52 PM)Djanjo Wrote:
(04-01-2010, 02:30 PM)Gizmonicgamer Wrote: actually, there is walljumping. pretty early in the trailer you see samus walljumping up a long vertical shaft

Honestly you need to tell me what a good Metroid is. Yes, I am ASKING for your wall of text. So I can figure out where all this hate comes from, I want to see all the love that you know and cherish that this game does not stand for.

I can condense his wall of text into two words: Super Metroid.

I disagree with it, but that's what he would have s-
oh, he already posted it, never mind

RE: Metroid: Other M - Cobalt Blue - 04-03-2010

in relation to comparing Contra and Metroid, if you mean holding right and grabbing the Spread gun to kiill everything in fron t of you without aiming as soon as posible, yea, they have similarities.

and saying "super metroid" as an argument is like saying obama is bad because black.