The VG Resource

Full Version: Extracting Models from a PS1 Game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been having some difficulties extracting the models from an old Japanese puzzle game titled Azumanga Donjyara Daioh, which was released for the original PlayStation on April 18, 2002.  I went through every tutorial on Google, but then I found this forum. There was a thread that was posted earlier on this site, and it didn't go as well as I anticipated. (https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-37862.html). I also had to use NinjaRipper, but that didn't work out as I had hoped.

I originally thought about importing these models to other software such as Garry's Mod, or Source Filmmaker. I thought it would be nice to have them in the Steam Workshop. I did plan on uploading the models from the game, but I had a really hard time figuring out how to extract these specific models. 

[Image: 265aaa260b96b9aed5b94d039aeba829cc0a0930.gifv]
Many PS1 games use custom formats. It's possible you'll have to develop tools for this one specific game.

About screen ripping: don't use Ninja Ripper, use the 3d-screenshot feature of the Avocado emulator (link).
(11-14-2022, 04:19 PM)scurest Wrote: [ -> ]Many PS1 games use custom formats. It's possible you'll have to develop tools for this one specific game.

About screen ripping: don't use Ninja Ripper, use the 3d-screenshot feature of the Avocado emulator (link).

I click "Take 3D Screenshot" in Avocado when the model I want to save is on-screen. The console will say "Save screenshot to C:\..." but when I go to that folder, nothing is there. What am I doing wrong?
Dunno, works fine for me. Maybe make sure it's a folder you can actually write to. (Although it doesn't print the "Save screenshot to" message when I try saving somewhere I can't write to, so maybe that's not it).
(02-13-2023, 02:27 AM)scurest Wrote: [ -> ]Dunno, works fine for me. Maybe make sure it's a folder you can actually write to. (Although it doesn't print the "Save screenshot to" message when I try saving somewhere I can't write to, so maybe that's not it).

I eventually could get it to save something but what it saved was not what was on screen. It was just a single triangle and the texture of what looked like concrete. For what it's worth, I'm trying this on the Toy Story 2 video game. I know it has ports for N64, Dreamcast, and PC, but if ripping from them is anything like ripping from PSX emulators, I need to have advanced to a point in the game where the model I want to capture is on-screen. The model I'm hoping to rip is Zurg's model, and you need to advance pretty far in the game to see him. I already had a complete save file for the PSX version which is why I want to try ripping from that version.