Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Extracting Models from PS1 game Azumanga Donjyara Daioh
Shocked 
Hello!

I am extremely new to model ripping, so pardon me if the answer to this is easier than I thought, but I'm having a lot of trouble extracting the 3D models from a specific Japanese puzzle game by the name of Azumanga Donjyara Daioh, developed by Ganbarion.

I have used various tools, including psxmultirip, psxprev, and JPSXdec and each time Ive tried to extract resources from the game using any of these programs, I am always given the same result: a bunch of texture files (none of which are textures for the models, most of them are just parts of backgrounds and a few small assorted sprites), pretty much all of the game's audio files, and the game's intro cutscene, but no models. The only software for model ripping Ive seen that I haven'd used yet was one called ninjaripper, but it seems like that software doesnt exactly work with emulation, at least for PS1. I am willing to try it though.

I'm not asking anyone to rip these models for me or anything, and I'd actually prefer to go through most of the process myself if I can, because I'd like to learn more about model ripping. I just want someone to give me some help with extracting the models from this obscure little gem.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by:
Hey! Quick update even though nobody probably cares enough about this, but I found a way to get ninjaripper working with epsxe, though I found another roadblock.

Ninjaripper doesnt like the playstation 1, like at all. Not only does it extract ALL data on the screen as individual meshes (resulting in about 3000 rip files) but it exports it all as kind of a flat screenshot of what appears on screen. Below is what it looked like in blender compared to about what I took a snapshot of.

and here is the result of another test a friend of mine did using her (much faster) computer

So its about safe to say that Ninjaripper probably isn't the best thing to use in this case, but it has yielded progress! To my delight it has extracted textures from the game, which I may clean up and make into texture sheets/sprite sheets and put them on the spriters and textures resource.

Though extracting the 3D models are still my #1 priority. I urge anyone who may know a program I can use or some kind of other method of extraction to please leave a reply. I'm getting close, really close, but I want to know a better way of model extraction that doesn't involve me piecing together polygons like a jigsaw puzzle.
Thanked by:
(09-13-2020, 10:17 PM)SpicyTM Wrote: Hey! Quick update even though nobody probably cares enough about this, but I found a way to get ninjaripper working with epsxe, though I found another roadblock.

Ninjaripper doesnt like the playstation 1, like at all. Not only does it extract ALL data on the screen as individual meshes (resulting in about 3000 rip files) but it exports it all as kind of a flat screenshot of what appears on screen. Below is what it looked like in blender compared to about what I took a snapshot of.

and here is the result of another test a friend of mine did using her (much faster) computer

So its about safe to say that Ninjaripper probably isn't the best thing to use in this case, but it has yielded progress! To my delight it has extracted textures from the game, which I may clean up and make into texture sheets/sprite sheets and put them on the spriters and textures resource.

Though extracting the 3D models are still my #1 priority. I urge anyone who may know a program I can use or some kind of other method of extraction to please leave a reply. I'm getting close, really close, but I want to know a better way of model extraction that doesn't involve me piecing together polygons like a jigsaw puzzle.

Are you still working on this? Im actually attempting to rip the models myself but since im a beginner i have no clue what to do
Thanked by:
(11-02-2020, 07:58 AM)SalvarricHomer Wrote: Are you still working on this? Im actually attempting to rip the models myself but since im a beginner i have no clue what to do

Wow I never expected someone to reply haha.

I unfortunately stopped working on this! Sorry! The thing about the PS1 is that it doesnt render things in 3d? If that makes sense? Like, you can see in my post what happens when you try to rip PS1 models in real time. So really the best way to rip models from PS1 games is to be able to reverse engineer the files and get the direct model files, but the only issue with that is that I have zero knowledge in PS1 programming, let alone programming at all, so I kind of just got distracted by other things and silently gave up on this project after not having any sort of real advice. I'm sorry for not really having anything helpful to say Sad I hope you can find out more about how to do this than I did! I'd love to see the models ripped one day, just I was not the person to do it haha.
just trying my best!
Thanked by:
(11-03-2020, 10:51 PM)SpicyTM Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 07:58 AM)SalvarricHomer Wrote: Are you still working on this? Im actually attempting to rip the models myself but since im a beginner i have no clue what to do

I unfortunately stopped working on this! Sorry! The thing about the PS1 is that it doesnt render things in 3d? If that makes sense? Like, you can see in my post what happens when you try to rip PS1 models in real time. So really the best way to rip models from PS1 games is to be able to reverse engineer the files and get the direct model files, but the only issue with that is that I have zero knowledge in PS1 programming, let alone programming at all, so I kind of just got distracted by other things and silently gave up on this project after not having any sort of real advice. I'm sorry for not really having anything helpful to say Sad I hope you can find out more about how to do this than I did! I'd love to see the models ripped one day, just I was not the person to do it haha.
Aww, thats a shame! but i do get what you mean by PSX models being a birch and a half to rip.
Hopefully one of these days they're ripped and uploaded.
Thanked by: SpicyTM
(11-03-2020, 10:51 PM)SpicyTM Wrote:

The ps1 GPU works only in 2D, that makes it a pain in the ass when extracting 3D models, I'm trying to extract the models too and I'm also getting the same errors like you, I learned that OBJ models can't have vertex colors or something, so everything appears in black except for the textures, osaka here looks like satan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by: