The VG Resource

Full Version: Copying files from a Saturn disc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are certain types of files I simply can't copy from a Saturn game, in this particular case, an .SFD file from NiGHTS Into Dreams... I tried copying from a .BIN/.CUE combo mounted to a virtual drive, as well as from the actual disc itself, but I get the error "Invalid MS-DOS function." I assume this is due to the fact that it's a Mixed Mode CD, meaning it has a couple of data tracks containing the actual game files as well as several actual Redbook/CD Audio tracks containing the majority of the game's background music.

I can copy any other file type, including .PRS, .CPK, .TSK, .TXT and .ADP, as well as "0NIGHTS," which has no extension, but not .SFD. Why not?
Did you try extract them using CD Mage or ISO Buster? These programs will handle mixed mode CD data correctly.

For multi-track redump image, open the *.cue instead of "Track 1.bin". CD Mage will convert all CD audio tracks into *.wav files when extracting.

Good luck!
- Rufas

P.S. "0NIGHTS" is the main executable file. Saturn, like MS-DOS, will autorun the first file on the disk. *.cpk are the movie files.