The VG Resource

Full Version: Sonicfan32's sprite rippings.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Hey guys, back with another post, without all the drama that I pulled back then with that game that I was whining about doing. I just ripped sprites from an NES game, Yume Penguin Monogatari, just for the heck of it... as well as edit another sprite sheet adding things the person who ripped it left out. (I did it with YY-CHR.) It's my first sprite rip I've ever did, and I was curious to see how the sprite uploading system works on this site.
(Update: Changed the credit tag AGAIN, as well as finally finishing this thing. Also, there may be a couple of pixels missing and such, so I'll fix those.)
There's info on how to submit here on the wiki.

The sheet looks fine, except for the background. Even when it doesn't clash, we generally like to avoid black or white backgrounds, since they can be a bit hard on the eyes. Some other non-clashing colour would be better.
Judging by your credit tag you took sprites from RTZ. I'm assuming you didn't get permission from Goemar? Submiting a sheet ripped by someone else is a no-no here(spacing between the sprites is the same too). I counted and only 10 sprites out of the entire sheet are actually yours. I do appreciate your honesty but know that these won't be accepted.
https://retrogamezone.co.uk/yumepenguinmonogatari.htm
Oh I missed that, thanks for pointing it out. Firejoker's right, unless you have permission from the original ripper the rips need to be yours.
I did get an email about this (though hadn't replied yet) BUT man, resubmitting my sheet just to add 10 sprites?

I mean, it's hardly a big game - just get them all yourself (or I might just get them and resubmit).

Specially 'some were ripped by RGZ' - boo bad show man, bad show.

Also on a side note, pretty sure I told Dazz anything ripped by me on RGZ was welcome on tSR, not sure what has actually made it across mind.

Having said that - man, some of old sheets have that awful 'long flipped' layout I seemed to love for some reason... basically that look a bit ass (and are gif files - which are also a bit ass).

Basically as I now have a bit more time on my hands than recent years (and have fallen in love with the NES again) I'll probably be fixing a lot of my older sheets and submitting them.
Only wanted to hop in again and say something. Learn from your mistakes, even if you did wrong don't let this refrain you from ripping more sprites. You definately have the know-how if you used ripping tools like YY-CHR. Just don't take someone else's sprites without their permission again and you'll be good.  Thumbs Up
Absolutely, it was with good intentions at the base level I'm sure! You did actually put some effort in which is nice. You could modify the credit tag and I'm sure Goemar wouldn't be upset to have it submit to the site.

I've been meaning to transfer RGZ sheets over to tSR, it's just finding the time to go through and do it that's becoming an issue.
(02-13-2017, 02:48 PM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely, it was with good intentions at the base level I'm sure! You did actually put some effort in which is nice. You could modify the credit tag and I'm sure Goemar wouldn't be upset to have it submit to the site.

I've been meaning to transfer RGZ sheets over to tSR, it's just finding the time to go through and do it that's becoming an issue.

I can help. sounds fun.
Ok, I'm editing the sheet right now, but I think the correct back-facing plane animations are a bit tricky to find. I can't tell which parts are which. (I've found all the pieces for the rest of the sprites. I think I'm about to be done with this thing.)
I made an update to the sprite sheet. I think it still needs improvement. (Look at the top of the thread.)
On the subject of transferring sheets from other sites, maybe this could have it's own official thread?
It could, if the administrators think about doing so.
Submissions should be made through the site Smile
...I think it's about time to delete the "Sorry for acting like a douche to Goemar" part on the credit tag. It just sounds... umm... well... I got nothing.
Ok, so I'm currently ripping the sprites for the projectiles and effects for Penta and the plane he has... although I don't know how to rip the palletes they use concidering YY-CHR only uses the greyscale pallete. (It's bullsh*t to edit the many, many, MANY captures I take on it concidering I'm using Paint of all things [yes, I know, it's stupid to do but it's still useful], not to mention I don't want to use custom palletes...) Any help? (Also, is ripping sprites from the english translation a good thing, or do I have to use the original Japan rom? (Because the english translation was made by fans and it isn't official.) (I'm also trying to rip invincibility pallets, and even then I can't rip those.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22