The VG Resource

Full Version: PS4 Pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey people,

So I recently found out that Sony is making a PS4 Pro, which is gonna have 4K resolution or something like that. What do you guys think about it? Would you or would you not invest in it?
4k res hurts my eyes...I'll stick to my CRTs xp
(09-11-2016, 10:00 PM)Urban732 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey people,

So I recently found out that Sony is making a PS4 Pro, which is gonna have 4K resolution or something like that. What do you guys think about it? Would you or would you not invest in it?

Hey, cool, I opened a web browser to my favorite web site and found this out, too - but gimme a second I need to call somebody out

(09-11-2016, 10:21 PM)JazzGW Wrote: [ -> ]4k res hurts my eyes...I'll stick to my CRTs xp

what a nerd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok what was i saying. Sony's making kind of a really...weird gamble here - like, this is Playstation TV-level silly. It allows for 4K gaming and 4K video STREAMING - but not 4K UHD Blu-ray playback - which is actually something XBOX One's Scorpio is going to have (it'll be cheaper, too)

But like, when it comes to 4K resolution, it's sorta negligible when it comes to console gaming. It's kind of like the 3DS, where you literally cannot believe it until you see it - but like the difference in games in stuff, while pretty cool (like ridiculous draw distances with individually-rendered leaves on trees far back in the distance, and a broad spectrum of colors like you'd get with HDR) you can probably get away just fine, because the "worst" settings - like your typical PS4 game now - still looks pretty freakin good all-considering. Maybe if the PS4 natively supported refresh rates above 60FPS for televisions that support it, for actual PC-esque gaming experiences...that'd be cool.

tl;dr just get a PS4 Slim or the original - try to go with the CUH-1200 model onwards (which is literally all you'll find at stores anyway - probably CUH-1215) Heck the original PS4 will probably be like $200 on Black Friday and that's a hell of a deal
Moved to Gaming Discussion.
Supposedly some standard PS4 titles will be getting patches allowing for higher res/frames.

Maybe I should hold off on getting a Bloodbornestation until I know more about what's going to happen.
310W (Pro) vs 165W (Slim)
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStatio...ifications

Not sure if I will like this, also the loading times won't be different unless you have an SSD.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OP0tgY4vmM

And you won't be lucky if you already have a 4k TV, because higher details, etc. is exclusive to HD TVs. 4k users will get the higher resolution and maybe HDR. The "maybe" is for people who have Sony or Samsung 4k TVs which are not older than 2015, because not all of them have HDR10 support (Dolby Vision is not compatible with PS4 Pro so the console will pretend that it doesn't exist).
Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/0...imate-faq/

For the games: Not all of them will run in "native" 4k. They get interpolated, which means the Full HD resolution will be resized to fit the 4k screen:
https://www.destructoid.com/horizon-zero...5422.phtml

However, there are exceptions:
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016...native-4k/
Welp. Looks like I'm gonna wait for PS5 then.
(09-13-2016, 11:35 AM)Urban732 Wrote: [ -> ]Welp. Looks like I'm gonna wait for PS5 then.

you're going to be like 28 at that point, and the PS5 probably won't be backwards compatible with the older games' library. you'd be stuck with playing everything on playstation now, or digital downloads 

actually, come to think of it - given the trends of the gaming market today, there probably won't be a PS5 - you'll probably see PS4 games added to Playstation Now shortly because they boast about "PS Now Exclusive titles", which will then become like, everything. yep, we're probably headed in the direction of cloud gaming you heard it first here, folks

Honestly, if you want to enjoy the PS4 just grab it during a Black Friday sale, or better yet just grab the Slim - the Slim versions of PS consoles have always been quieter, had better heat management etc. and i don't see this one being an exception to that rule.

but like i guess that could be a Black Friday sale in 2018 or something if you're not really sold on the exclusives or whatever lol
I wonder if it'll have a slim edition. We know it's a common practice with consoles to release a different sized version later, lol
i wonder if they'll decide one day to give handhelds a shot again. the Vita's really fun to play if you can afford more than a couple games.
Yeah, someone needs to keep Nintendo as not a monopoly on handheld gaming. You'd say the smartphone market is the competition, but the mobile market isn't seen as the same as the handheld market, because of the types of games. Sure, there are legit full length engaging games on the smartphone market, but it's mostly overloaded with casual, micro-transaction type games. If Sony dips out of the handheld market, who will keep Nintendo in check?
[briefly straying off topic]

if they really wanted to, sega could release a successor to the game gear that plays 2d sprite-based games in a more modern aesthetic....

I'm allowed to dream alright?
(09-13-2016, 08:12 PM)Koh Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if it'll have a slim edition.  We know it's a common practice with consoles to release a different sized version later, lol

dude, lmfao, the PS4 SLIM was announced alongside the Pro. 

Unless you're talking about like a PS4 Pro Slim

(09-13-2016, 11:17 PM)Koh Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, someone needs to keep Nintendo as not a monopoly on handheld gaming.  You'd say the smartphone market is the competition, but the mobile market isn't seen as the same as the handheld market, because of the types of games.  Sure, there are legit full length engaging games on the smartphone market, but it's mostly overloaded with casual, micro-transaction type games.  If Sony dips out of the handheld market, who will keep Nintendo in check?

this...sounds more like your opinion. Nintendo's kinda losing out to the smartphone market in Japan, which is why hell froze over and they're releasing mobile games under an agreement with DeNA. Even Nintendo knows their name alone can push app sales. That doesn't jeopardize their console sales, either - honestly, the way their smartphone experiences are set up, it seems they're deliberately trying to rope in casuals with their smartphone offerings to try out their core titles (which are still pretty casual) on their proprietary handheld.

like, the smartphone market IS the competition with its casual experiences, because everyone's got one.
i mean it's completely valid to say that the casual market seen on smartphones can give Nintendo a run for its money, just as how the Wii was the competition to the other consoles of the time. Sure, they didn't actually compete specs-wise, but Nintendo really pulled the demands waaaay into the casual market, which is something Sony and Microsoft had always struggled to do. It made people who don't usually game...want to game.

Sony's already dipped out of the handheld market for the most part, stateside at least. You can't find a new Vita for sale in a department store ANYWHERE, even if you tried. Hell, even the Vita TV was a spectacular flop too.

Nintendo's courting kind of an old demographic, so to speak - people looking for a core experience on a handheld device. And there's nothing wrong with that - it's just that no one startup or corporation is ballsy enough to challenge Nintendo's deep roots in the handheld market...because they can't.
Which is kind of a shame, too - the Vita feels legitimately like a handheld console for the core market with adult tastes with an AMAZING selection of titles that cater perfectly to that niche. The only problem is that it's doing just that - catering to a niche, and that's not quite enough for Sony to possibly release a new handheld that, compared to Nintendo's sales, no one's going to play, lol
(09-13-2016, 03:14 PM)Kosheh Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-13-2016, 11:35 AM)Urban732 Wrote: [ -> ]Welp. Looks like I'm gonna wait for PS5 then.

you're going to be like 28 at that point, and the PS5 probably won't be backwards compatible with the older games' library. you'd be stuck with playing everything on playstation now, or digital downloads 

actually, come to think of it - given the trends of the gaming market today, there probably won't be a PS5 - you'll probably see PS4 games added to Playstation Now shortly because they boast about "PS Now Exclusive titles", which will then become like, everything. yep, we're probably headed in the direction of cloud gaming you heard it first here, folks

Honestly, if you want to enjoy the PS4 just grab it during a Black Friday sale, or better yet just grab the Slim - the Slim versions of PS consoles have always been quieter, had better heat management etc. and i don't see this one being an exception to that rule.

but like i guess that could be a Black Friday sale in 2018 or something if you're not really sold on the exclusives or whatever lol

Oh yeah true....