The VG Resource

Full Version: KOF XIV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's not out for a few months but I figured I'd start a thread for the hype and whatnot.

I'll go on a limb and say that I wish I had a PS4 so that I could pick up a copy when it comes out. I'm very impressed with how SNK-Playmore has handled such a big project. While maybe it doesn't look like the best fighting game in the modern era, it still seems promising enough as an addition to a lesser known fighting game franchise. It overall looks well-prepared and I'm expecting some positive reception from critics once it comes out!

And just a suggestion that we keep the "graphics > gameplay" discussions out of this topic. Every person has their own way of judging a game based on their own tastes, so it seems kinda pointless to argue about it. I'd appreciate it. c:
I don't believe I've ever actually played a King of Fighters game. I love the older character designs. I haven't really seen much that catches my eye with the new one, but I also haven't really been looking so its not a statement that bares much weight.
(05-15-2016, 11:29 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]I don't believe I've ever actually played a King of Fighters game. I love the older character designs. I haven't really seen much that catches my eye with the new one, but I also haven't really been looking so its not a statement that bares much weight.

What I like about their character designs in general is that they're made to be more relatable to us as real people. Most of the characters are just typical Joe Schmoes who live everyday lives, and just so happen to be skilled in martial arts - to the point of having mystical powers of some sort, of course.
I think it's a different direction from Street Fighter's characters, who each have superpowers just because. King of Fighters games focus on plot more than anything. That doesn't not make it a competitive fighter though. It's widely known amongst competitive gamers in countries other than the US, especially in South America, Korea and China (the birthplace of the company, go figure).

In terms of game mechanics, the King of Fighters system isn't too different from Capcom fighting systems. The main difference would have to be that the gravity is pretty much -9.8, so you don't fly back 50 feet when you get hit in the air like in Marvel vs. Capcom.
Just SNK now - glad they changed it back.

Too be honest, I don't know if the game will sell. I also can't imagine it being that balanced with the size of the roster.
But I really really want it to do well because I really really want SNK back making games.