The VG Resource

Full Version: KOF XIV so far...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For those unaware, here's the latest news on the next KOF installment: http://www.fightersgeneration.com/screen...easer3.htm

It appears that SNK has been "hiding" in the smartphone game and pachinko market...But now they're making a pretty big comeback with a new KOF game.
What do you all think so far? I can tell that the graphics have a long way to go right now. I can't say I'm a big fan of 3D fighters (except for Soul Calibur), especially if the graphics are really dark with unbalanced colors (Soul Calibur is pretty clever with it, and the unique gameplay makes up for any visual flaws, IMO). I do realize that this is basically a 2.5D fighter like Street Fighter IV, so it looks pretty promising to me so far.
I've played nearly every 2D KOF, and I have to admit the graphics for those games are very well-balanced - it gives the feeling of a grungy street fighting movie and a silly action anime. I'm not sure that longtime fans will much appreciate this change in graphic style.

So yeah...My main gripe would be the graphics - I imagine they're not changing the gameplay very much from previous installments.
Of course you'd post the KOF XIV news (that's not a bad thing, we need another fighting game junkie here Wink )

What really gets me about this incarnation is that up close, the game looks like crap (it looks kinda like a PS2 game to me honestly) but when it's in motion and the game's chugging at full speed, it looks like a really fluid fighter. Outright phenomenal.

I can't wait to pick this up at some point - admittedly I don't get really deep into the KOF series; I like dicking around in them on a rainy day. I prefer Street Fighter or Skullgirls for some reason, but hopefully that'll change when this game comes out.
I really hope the publisher gives it the attention like other fighters are currently getting. Gradual updates along the way would work really well for this game, especially given the fact that KOF rosters tend to get absurdly high, and it'd be a great strategy to help players pick up as many characters as they can
(can someone remind me how many people were on KOF2k1/2k2's roster? lol)
I've been hoping for a new one for a while, though I've never really messed with KoF, just really wanted to try it.

It would join my long list of games that I love to play but suck at like Street Fighter, Tekken, SkullGirls, and Soul Calibur.
Edit: Forgot Bloody Roar and Smash if you count that.
(11-24-2015, 07:24 PM)Kosheh Wrote: [ -> ]Of course you'd post the KOF XIV news (that's not a bad thing, we need another fighting game junkie here Wink )

What really gets me about this incarnation is that up close, the game looks like crap (it looks kinda like a PS2 game to me honestly) but when it's in motion and the game's chugging at full speed, it looks like a really fluid fighter. Outright phenomenal.

I can't wait to pick this up at some point - admittedly I don't get really deep into the KOF series; I like dicking around in them on a rainy day.  I prefer Street Fighter or Skullgirls for some reason, but hopefully that'll change when this game comes out.
I really hope the publisher gives it the attention like other fighters are currently getting. Gradual updates along the way would work really well for this game, especially given the fact that KOF rosters tend to get absurdly high, and it'd be a great strategy to help players pick up as many characters as they can
(can someone remind me how many people were on KOF2k1/2k2's roster? lol)

That's what kinda bothered me about the recent 3D Samurai Shodown game...It was for the Xbox 360, but the graphics were not up-to-par...It's a bit odd how SNK found the best pixel artists for their 2D fighters for the passed two decades, but they're so far behind with 3D graphics.

Then again, maybe they're getting better and what we're being shown is a quickly-made prototype. That's kinda what happened with Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - the graphics in the prototype footage were total garbage compared to the final product.

I do agree that KOF is best known for their large rosters xD. Sadly, many characters were taken off after the rebranded graphics in 12 and 13. Regardless, they still kept the roster pretty diverse.

(11-24-2015, 09:20 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: [ -> ]I've been hoping for a new one for a while, though I've never really messed with KoF, just really wanted to try it.

It would join my long list of games that I love to play but suck at like Street Fighter, Tekken, SkullGirls, and Soul Calibur.

I'd probably say it's better to stick with the better-known fighting games. SNK fighting games tend to be really frustrating with AI difficulty, and there's really no other way around fighting a cheap opponent. However, their more recent games like KOF XI through XIII seem to appeal to a more casual audience.
Not sure about this though. The 3D looks really bland, Even for XB1 and PS4. They resemble the CG renders from the first Dead or Alive game.
If Terry, or Mai get revealed. I fear they'll butcher their designs. They're pretty much nothing without their iconic outfits.

To be honest, I think it was a dick move to be bought out by an unknown Chinese company. Was any Japanese game brand not interested?
(11-25-2015, 12:27 AM)Dolphman Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure about this though. The 3D looks really bland, Even for XB1 and PS4. They resemble the CG renders from the first Dead or Alive game.
If Terry, or Mai get revealed. I fear they'll butcher their designs. They're pretty much nothing without their iconic designs.

To be honest, I think it was a dick move to be bought out by an unknown Chinese company. Was any Japanese game brand not interested?

I agree entirely. The designs shown so far are pretty boring and lack originality.

I'm still not feeling it...The colors are still pretty dark and muddy. They could at least go with a more cartoonish/cel-shade-ish visual style like in MvC3. Especially with KOF XII and XIII (which have clearly anime-inspired pixel art), I could never imagine the visuals being as realistic as they are in this next installment. Even the previous 3D KOF spinoffs still had a cartoonish vibe despite being 3D.