The VG Resource

Full Version: List of Game Genres
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
With the idea of us implementing a system for genre for games, I want to begin compiling the list of genres we will bring on. There are some obvious ones, but I just want to see what you guys think of what we have already put together:

Action
Action-Adventure
Adventure
Beat 'em Up
Board Game
Fighting
Horror
Platformer
Puzzle
Racing
Action RPG
Turn Based RPG
Shooter
Shoot 'em Up
Simulation
Sports
Strategy
Visual Novel
Other

I'm unsure on a few of these, as I think they may be crowded in the end. But let me know what you think?
Shouldn't there be Shoot 'em Up too? Like, Parodius or something?

Otherwise I think this is fine. There is of course going to be loads in the action genres and such things, that can't be helped I don't think.
Good call, I'll add that to the list.
Are we gonna be able to gives multiple genres for a single games? Its gonna pretty hard to choose a single genre to some games.
That's the plan, yeah. But at the same time I know that certain things like "Action" and "RPG" will both be huge if we include every "Action RPG". I feel it should just be designated its own genre.
(11-19-2015, 09:13 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]That's the plan, yeah. But at the same time I know that certain things like "Action" and "RPG" will both be huge if we include every "Action RPG". I feel it should just be designated its own genre.

But still, "Action", "Rpg" and "Adventure" should separated. Cause if you search for the "Action" genre, your search wont have the "Action/Adeventure" and "Action/Rpg" results unless we makes exceptions for it.
Also, it doesnt really matter if a genre is really huge: the genres should be there to make the search more accurate. No one is gonna search for only "Action" genre games.
The genres are there to increase the usability of the site for browsing too - they'll be available to view in the same way as a console. The same will go for a developer.
What about Racing?
Added!
Card Game
Roguelike
Rhythm / Music
(11-19-2015, 10:08 AM)SuperFlomm Wrote: [ -> ]Music

Wouldn't this be Rhythm?
I don't think there's enough of those to really warrant their own sections.
Horror
Sandbox
Minigames
Arcade
Real-Time strategy
Arcade is a console, I've always found it being used to define a genre kind of odd. It doesn't really actually have a definition of requirements for what makes something "Arcade".

RTS is under Strategy.
Horror I was considering
Sandbox isn't really something that we have many games for, and most of them fall under simulation games.
Minigames is going to be under Other - they're so variable it can't really be defined.
Pages: 1 2 3 4