The VG Resource

Full Version: Genesis Sonic cleanup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm looking at doing some cleanup in the Sonic Genesis sections as we make new icons. They're just a mess right now. Sheets need to be trimmed, rearranged, or just deleted. We have sheets that have a mix of elements from different platforms and games and it's just a real clutter. If someone could help me streamline them, that would be amazing. 

Basically, each game should have just the emeralds, explosions, signs, shields, etc. from THAT game. 

Chaos Emeralds should, in theory, contain the sprites of all the emeralds. Duh. Instead, this sheet seems to be missing a lot of frames and needs some arrangement. I think these are shared between Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knucles.

Emeralds is just a huge mess. It has sprites of the Chaos Emeralds from several games, the Master Emerald from Sonic 2 and S&K, Sonic Spinball (which is already on a sheet), etc. This sheet really just needs to be ripped apart and placed i nthe right areas, then nuked from orbit.

Another Emeralds sheet is just the frames of animation of the emeralds. ...Why? Is this necessary?

Super Emeralds   has most of the same problems as the Chaos Emeralds sheet.

Explosions has no tags or labels or anything that tells you what they're from. I can't tell by looking. Each game's explosion should be in that game's section; not all explosions in all sections.

Font Packs again, should be split up based on game. There's really no reason to have Sonic 1's font in Sonic & Knuckles. It makes things confusing.

Shields is another sheet that needs to be split up.

Goal Signs also needs to be split up.

Miscellaneous has a lot of, well, miscellaneous stuff on it. A lot of that can be found on other sheets. The monitors are the only thing not on a different sheet. (I think.)

Thanks for any help. I don't know which sprites go where for those that aren't labeled. Anyone with more knowledge of the nuances of Sonic would be GREATLY appreciated.
(10-23-2015, 08:22 AM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Chaos Emeralds should, in theory, contain the sprites of all the emeralds. Duh. Instead, this sheet seems to be missing a lot of frames and needs some arrangement. I think these are shared between Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knucles.
Actually the first two rows have a duplicate sprite in them: First row can lose the last sprite, second row can lose the second-to-last sprite.

(10-23-2015, 08:22 AM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Super Emeralds has most of the same problems as the Chaos Emeralds sheet.
[Image: iZioEMsfddGqJ.png]
For one thing, my rips of Dr. Robotnik for STH2 & S3K were done with the intention to replace the other rips, which are a complete mess.
IE all parts should be separated from the Eggmobile instead of put together. It bugged me for ages why we still had those oblelete sheets.
Example: The Sentinel from Marvel Vs Capcom and related games was made up of individual sprites for torso, arms, head, and legs.
This is also why I re-ripped six of the sub-bosses for Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Another thing too: We should reolour most of the sheets because they were ripped with the emulator's brightness up high, and don't use the official RAW palettes. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles for S3K are the most notable ones with this problem.
Because of this, they have the MS-Paint default white, which would make them useless unless the white was darker.
(10-23-2015, 08:22 AM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Font Packs again, should be split up based on game. There's really no reason to have Sonic 1's font in Sonic & Knuckles. It makes things confusing.

Something does seem to bug me regarding that sheet. There are a few custom letters (they aren't mentioned either that they are custom, notice the W is an upside M) especially in the Title Card sections of Sonic 1 & 2. Since Sega dropped off letters in the game [also possible reason why Clock Work Zone became Scrap Brain due to no W was made], it might confuse people that those letters are in the game while they aren't in the ROM. I would happily rerip the Sonic 1 and possibly 2 ones just to make it less confusing. Sonic CD is missing the Title Cards so that probably will want a re-rip too but the font seems fine. Sonic 3&K seems fine to me but not 100% sure on that one since the game is the least played for me.

(10-23-2015, 08:22 AM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Goal Signs also needs to be split up.

Splitted them up:

Sonic 1: http://abload.de/img/sparkss1signpostsleq3r.png

Sonic 2 [final, prototype, Knuckles in Sonic 2]: http://abload.de/img/sparkss2signposts1lrkg.png

Sonic 3 (30 second job of the below): http://abload.de/img/sparkss3signpostsivogz.png

Sonic 3 & Knuckles/Sonic & Knuckles: http://abload.de/img/sparkss3ksignposts4qp9e.png

Note: Despite Tails doesn't appear in Sonic & Knuckles, his signpost appears while it is spinning.

Felt tempted to colour correct these due to the white used however these aren't my sheets, just trimmed and reorganised. Even feel dirty doing this.
Went ahead and replaced the goal sheets with the split versions.
(10-23-2015, 04:35 PM)Yawackhary Wrote: [ -> ]Felt tempted to colour correct these due to the white used however these aren't my sheets, just trimmed and reorganised. Even feel dirty doing this.
Nah, don't feel dirty about it. Problems are problems and need to be fixed one way or the other.

I'm always for cleaning things a bit, so this project has my full support! : >
I love you guys. This is going great! I'll start replacing the sheets tonight. Smile
While I was working on splitting up the Sonic 1 monitors from SupaChao's sheets, I noticed Divine Insect's "Miscellaneous Objects" has very accurate rips of some stuff from the game including monitors and their "busted" frames (even though it doesn't have the "goggle" and "super" monitors)

But yeah, a lot of the old sheets really liked cramming in as many represented games as possible into one sheet, and I prefer them split up.

Also I have a question. If they were available, since the Sonic CD section does it, would we include the additional graphics from the Taxman remakes of Sonic 1 and 2?
Honestly, I'd rather see Sonic CD split into the original and the port for clarity. We did the same to Final Fantasy Tactics a few years back.
Super Emeralds and Signs are all done!
(10-23-2015, 09:48 PM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I'd rather see Sonic CD split into the original and the port for clarity. We did the same to Final Fantasy Tactics a few years back.

Yeah, that sounds like a better option.
So, regarding Sonic 3/S&K, should we put Knuckles in the Enemies section of Sonic 3? Should we delete Tails from S&K? Gould we join the two sections?

Generally, I'm against joining games, as it can get very crowded very quickly (Look at Wily Wars and Mario All Stars), so what are your thoughts?
Why not just have a Sonic 3 & Knuckles section and leave any sprites not part of the combined game in the respected Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles section. If I recall, from my own playthrough and what I've seen on Longplays of all three games, each of them have a few sprites unique to these particular games, such as Sonic/Super Sonic and Tails' close-up at the end of Sonic 3, along with a different background and final boss that doesn't show up anywhere else in the other games, Tails having Flickies, as well as Sonic's Hyper form, in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Knuckles having some unique sprites for his intro and ending campaign in Sonic & Knuckles (same with Sonic's ending), and different openings or labels for all three games.
Supachao's rip of the warp ring from S3K lacked the original palette, and the animation for when it appears. So here's a replacement sheet.
[Image: d7QNITs.png]

New icon to go with it:
[Image: P4ErANo.png]
Nice! Thanks! Did you already submit your revision?
Done just that. Wink

I'm planning to rip stuff from Knuckles Chaotix in the future. There's a lot of stuff needed to be ripped. Including re-rips of the bosses.
Though I might need help with the ChaoView program so I know what codes the level, boss and the rest of the palettes use.
Doc Melonhead had a ripping project started, but that was in the old forums before the update. And he hasn't been here since last year. 
Not sure if he's still active at Sonic Retro, but I don't have an account there. Tongue

Also should point out, Knuckles Chaotix's levels can be viewed with the latest SonEd, So anyone who knows how to use it can give it a try.
I was planning to do that but gave up because it's too much for me after ripping Botanic Base Zone (which is still unfinished)
Pages: 1 2 3