The VG Resource

Full Version: Jaharl's Bucket of Fried Pixel Art.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello. My name is Jaharl Boxhead. I am trying to try spriting for once, and I would like some constructive criticism on this tileset that I had made.
Um, it's a square. Is it supposed to be ground tiles fit together in that shape? Because, if it isn't, I'd say you were pillow shading.

EDIT: Never mind. You said it was a tileset already. Anyway, it's a start, but you need more than just a few tiles before it can really be called a tileset.
Thank you for your constructive criticism. I made the full tile set now. Can you see if it is any better
It would help if you broke the tiles up into their actual individual tiles as well so that we'd be able to see where one ends and another begins.
Is this any better?
The tiles themselves are ok, but none are the same size. Good example is the bottom row.
Thank you for point that out I will try and fix the tile set.
It'd be in an urban setting and lack any of the exotic level design elements that made it so beautiful and unique?

How about instead of trying to edit other sprites, you try spriting Lilac or Carol yourself from scratch and see where that gets you? It looks like you're slapping some colors and a few details onto other sprites and calling it a day.

Ah... memories of getting my own mediocre edits rejected when I was but a mere cyberkid.
I would say that you work more on the tile sets you posted here/custom work. That way we can guage your progress easier and help you improve. If you stop with one sprite and jump to another without fixing errors, then you're hindering your pixel education bud. :\
Thanks for the constructive criticism. I will take everything you guys to heart, and I will try to redo my old tileset, and try spriting Lilac and Carol without a reference.
P.S. I did not edit Mit's Sprites, I just used them as a reference.
I didn't say without a reference. I said from scratch. Pretty big difference there.
I know, but I wanted to make it clear that I did not edit those sprites, but used them as a reference.
http://jaharl.deviantart.com/art/Grassla..._changes=1
This is a link to my fixed grassland.
Honestly, there's not much to say here because of how simple it is. You're on the right track though! (compared to your earlier stuff at least) Did you split the tileset into equal squares this time? The standard for tiles is usually 16x16 pixels, for reference.

Anyway. I think you should try something more advanced, something that'll have you improve. How about trying some large character sprites? It's okay to reference other's work, as long as it isn't a blatant rip-off.

(Also, I'm not sure why you pasted Freedom Planet characters into a JPEG'd Earthbound screenshot and called it a day. That's not how a Freedom Planet RPG would look my friend)
Thanks, for the C+C. BTW that freedom planet rpg thing was joke.
Pages: 1 2 3