The VG Resource

Full Version: Are SPORTS games the worst genre in video games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I kinda felt like asking since, wherever I go, any game that calls itself a "party game" looks extremely no-assed.

I blame Mario Party. It was okay at first, but then they screwed up everything (they dumped Donkey Kong and replaced him with characters like Dry Bones!) but didn't fix the "everything is determined by luck" factor.

And then I have seen some REALLY crappy party games, like Fuzion Frenzy and Crash Boom Bang.
YES

party games are the easiest to milk to death
And you're right, Mario Party is to blame.
Mario Party 1 was good. After that was when they started to go bad.
Ok, somebody should define party games so they're different from games with multiplayer modes.

But, you're right, a party game takes older less successful games, repackages a bunch of them with spiffy new looks and a unique way to get to them, and bam, a party game is born.

The first couple Mario Parties were good, and the rest mediocre in my opinion.
party games are fun when you have friends

there are shitty half-assed games in every genre, you can't condemn them all for it.
^^^ What he said.
They're really fun if you have friends, like Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. Don't ask.
Don't get me wrong: some games are fun with several players. But you can also get the same feeling with multiplayer elsewhere.

And even if you do have a bunch of guys and gals over, the quality of the game is determinal to whether or not you're going to enjoy it.
(10-18-2008, 10:12 AM)Confessor Wrote: [ -> ]party games are fun when you have friends

there are shitty half-assed games in every genre, you can't condemn them all for it.

I don't want to condemn the party genre. There's crappy games everywhere, I agree.

I'm just saying that I keep seeing games where no effort is put in. To be honest, I kinda made this thread to show my disgust for the abomination known as Crash Boom Bang.
WWII Shooters.
Actually, any war shooter pretty much.
I've only played the first two Mario parties (I liked the 2nd one better personally). But yeah, I think they milked the genre WAY TOO MUCH.
I only played the first two Mario Parties, (personally I liked the 2nd one better). And yeah, I think they milked that genre way too much
Does WarioWare count as a party game? I really enjoyed the first one, and the Wii one was awesome with friends, but yeah the rest of them weren't very good. I really liked the first Mario Party but yeah, after that it was downhill. Although the Newest One (Mario Party DS) was a lot better than the last several before that.
I'm a sucker for party games, I'm not saying they're the best games, but I still manage to enjoy them.
(10-18-2008, 01:57 PM)Arthur Wrote: [ -> ]Does WarioWare count as a party game? I really enjoyed the first one, and the Wii one was awesome with friends, but yeah the rest of them weren't very good.

Are you kidding me? Twisted was one of the best GBA games ever.

Anyway Party games that use a board game like formula (example Mario Party series) are extremely stale, and I find it taxing to even finish an entire 20 turn game. It's more fun completely ignoring the board game aspect and just playing mini games.
(10-18-2008, 02:37 PM)Phantom Kirby Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-18-2008, 01:57 PM)Arthur Wrote: [ -> ]Does WarioWare count as a party game? I really enjoyed the first one, and the Wii one was awesome with friends, but yeah the rest of them weren't very good.

Are you kidding me? Twisted was one of the best GBA games ever.

Anyway Party games that use a board game like formula (example Mario Party series) are extremely stale, and I find it taxing to even finish an entire 20 turn game. It's more fun completely ignoring the board game aspect and just playing mini games.

Yeah okay, but Touched was terrible. Tongue

I also enjoyed myself more to just play the minigames.
ALL the Mario Parties are awesome. Peopl bitched about 8 being 'more of the same', but considering that it'd be the only 'Party game on Wii, and not everyone can get hold of MP4-7 for the GC.

Even the mic games on 6/7 were awesome. There's a 1vs3 game where the single player is piloting a tank that has voice-activated weaponry, and the 3 have to dodge/shoot the tank. As the tank takes more damage, it becomes less responsive to commands.

Games swiftly turn to
"laser.
Laser!
LASER!!!
LAAAAAYYYYYYZAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"
(10-18-2008, 02:55 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]ALL the Mario Parties are awesome. Peopl bitched about 8 being 'more of the same', but considering that it'd be the only 'Party game on Wii, and not everyone can get hold of MP4-7 for the GC.

Even the mic games on 6/7 were awesome. There's a 1vs3 game where the single player is piloting a tank that has voice-activated weaponry, and the 3 have to dodge/shoot the tank. As the tank takes more damage, it becomes less responsive to commands.

Games swiftly turn to
"laser.
Laser!
LASER!!!
LAAAAAYYYYYYZAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"

The mic games are awesome! Most of the party games that aren't Nintendo are kinda dumb, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6