The VG Resource

Full Version: Controller Experiences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just thought we could discuss our differing experiences with the evolution of controllers as we held them.

My worst experience was of course the N64 controller. There was no comfortable way to hold the damn thing. If you held it like a PS1 controller, you couldn't reach the analog stick with your thumb, but if you held if from the middle, then the d-pad and L button was out of the question. How in the world did this design get finalized?

The XBox Controller took some getting used to, mainly because of how bulky it is. I still don't understand why a controller needs to be that bulky; there's no better example of a controller size and design than a PS1/PS2 controller.
(02-23-2014, 07:18 PM)Koh Wrote: [ -> ]My worst experience was of course the N64 controller. There was no comfortable way to hold the damn thing. If you held it like a PS1 controller, you couldn't reach the analog stick with your thumb, but if you held if from the middle, then the d-pad and L button was out of the question. How in the world did this design get finalized?

were there even any games that required you to use the analog stick and the L button

i've actually found the n64 controller to be super comfortable for snes games (emulated, obviously). its dpad is much better than the snes controller's dpad, and the button layouts are generally the same from there.

for me, the best 2D controller is a tie between the n64 controller and the ps1 controller. for 3d, you can't beat the gamecube controller.
I actually like how big the Xbox controllers are. They fit so well in my hands, where as with Sony controllers, my fingers always overreached.
The N64 controller is wonderful. It looks weird, but it's super-comfortable. Also, y'know

(02-23-2014, 07:50 PM)Crappy Blue Luigi Wrote: [ -> ]were there even any games that required you to use the analog stick and the L button

If you're trying to do this then you're doing it wrong. I know that the L Button or whatever turned off the map in Zelda, an analog stick game, but

A) How often did you need to turn off the map in an intense encounter that required your intense concentration and reflexes?
B) Wait a second, you actually tried to hold the controller so you could reach the L Button and tried to use the analog stick? That's what the Z Button was for - to be an L Button when using the analog stick!

GameCube controller was basically magic in the hands, though. I don't think anything will ever top it.
God knows my family's gone through more ps2 controllers. They would always break. They're super comfortable but they're too small and some games took their toll.
The N64 has been the worst controller for me as well, though not for the reasons stated. In most games the left-hand side of the controller wasn't used in conjunction with the central side, so it was never an issue (this is why the Z button exists. It's the shoulder button for the center piece). The controller just can't be held comfortably by me... I always feel so squished and restricted.

I'm adding my vote to the "GCN Controller is best controller" category. The button placement is designed perfectly around the thumbs... all it needs is an L1 opposite of Z and it's good to go.
Three controllers came to mind, these are the ones that I've been exposed to for 3D gaming.
///N64///
Very few games for the N64 would make you switch between analog and d-pad controls, in games like Super Smash Bros. the only thing the d-pad did was taunt, and it was only one of the directions anyway. The C-Buttons were interesting and they made sense as say, doing different moves in Banjo-Kazooie, but as a camera controller it was kinda clumsy.
///Gamecube///
I think that the C-stick was underutilized for the Gamecube, it could have easily been used as a camera joystick as we know them today, that aside, I still enjoy how the GCN Controller felt, especially the buttons: they were quick and responsive and the controller was just overall comfortable to handle. The d-pad was a bit weak, but it still worked when it was needed. I still use the controller when I ever play Brawl or games that are compatible with it.

///X-Box 360///
One of my only complaints about the XBox 360 controller is that the D-pad isn't quite as precise as those found on some Nintendo controllers, also the RB/LB Buttons are a bit too rigid and don't glide nicely like the triggers, they make a kind of uncomfortable click which I'm not particularly fond of. Other than that, It's an all-around awesome controller, it's comfortable to handle for long amounts of time and the analog sticks are in nice, natural-feeling positions.

I also think that color coding the buttons is a good idea, especially since it's easier to see color prompts for QTEs than struggling to even see what symbol the PS3 wants you to press. It also helps that the Triggers and Bumpers are different shapes and named appropriately instead of the L1 and L2 nonsense where you have to be reminded which ones are which if you're not very familiar with the controller. The 360 controller just lends itself to a more natural feeling when it comes to becoming acquainted to it.
Any thoughts on the original Wii Classic Controller? (The first one, not the one with the grips on the side)

I was thinking about swapping to get used to SSB4 since the Wii U doesn't support the GameCube Controller, and I dislike the look of the newer Classic Controller
Gamecube is great my only complant is that D-Pad ugh

N64 was my first console so I never had any trouble with it

360 worst d-pad

PS3 controller is my favorite
The nes controller was the worst I ever had. It's rectangular shape making it very uncomfortable.
I've never had any problem with the n64 controller, but I always thought and I still think that its design is stupid.
As for the other controllers, well they're all fine, nothing exceptional.
(02-23-2014, 09:30 PM)[robo9] Wrote: [ -> ]Any thoughts on the original Wii Classic Controller? (The first one, not the one with the grips on the side)

I was thinking about swapping to get used to SSB4 since the Wii U doesn't support the GameCube Controller, and I dislike the look of the newer Classic Controller

Nintendo actually has what they call a "Pro Controller" for the Wii U:
It's similar enough to the 360 controller, and I think there are also third party equivalents for the console coming out on the market as well.

In regards to the original Classic controller, it's good for playing Virtual Console SNES games, but I don't really like how small they are in my hands, also the analog sticks feel a bit too slippery and don't have enough resistance in my opinion. the L/R buttons also feel a little odd, but it's not a bad controller by any means.
(02-23-2014, 08:44 PM)Sketchasaurus Wrote: [ -> ]It also helps that the Triggers and Bumpers are different shapes and named appropriately instead of the L1 and L2 nonsense where you have to be reminded which ones are which if you're not very familiar with the controller.

L and R just mean Left and Right though. once you understand that, the numbering comes naturally.
i thought that it was pretty self explanatory, really

(02-23-2014, 09:32 PM)Santamon Wrote: [ -> ]Gamecube is great my only complant is that D-Pad ugh

N64 was my first console so I never had any trouble with it

360 worst d-pad

PS3 controller is my favorite

i agree with this entire post
L1/L2 vs LB/LT - "Bumper" is nonsense to me and the only proper Trigger Button is on the Wiimote. L1/L2 just click, instant response. I didn't start getting confused until they introduced "L3", which is clicking the joystick.
Pages: 1 2 3 4